GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is this Buick “Much More Beautiful Panamera"?
January 16th, 2016
by MonaroSS

Is a 4-door Avista a
Much More beautiful Panamera?

GM has told us to expect a Buick flagship that is stunning looking and a “Much More Beautiful Panamera".

Mark Reuss has told us it is coming. To be a Panamera I take it to be RWD, high performance and with a great handling chassis.

A new FWD LaCrosse or FWD Opel sedan will never be thought of in the same breath as a Porsche Panamera.

So when I heard the discussions over a business case for Avista being hard to make for any coupe, especially as the Chinese don't take to coupes, I thought - why not a 4-door coupe?

So I picked a side photo to chop to see how it might look and it struck me how much like the profile of a Panamera it had. Then the bells went off...

Could Avista just be a concept preview of the real vehicle coming to Buick. The one Reuss told us to expect?

What do you think, tell us and come back to comment on what others thought as well...

;)

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's and interesting notion and having thought on it, I would say yes. The four door Avista looks to be the middle ground between Avenair and The Avista coupe. Although, the coupe still needs to be made IMO, give it to Caddy it can be the canvas for the new CT3/4 coupe.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Nope...Unfortunately for all of us, the more beautiful Panamera that he was speaking of was the 2016 Lacrosse.

Well i guess we can't say he was lying because the Panamera is a rather ungainly looking car.

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
This had crossed my mind when they previewed the Avista coupe!

·
Registered
9,349 Posts
I like it but it "face stomps" CADDY so hard it is NOT funny
lets see a 4 CYL CT6 OR this "coupe"

that "chop" is treading into Aston Martin territory of SE**y / you know the exotic coupe territory

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
That is definitely a more beautiful Panamera. Problem solved. Ship it.

How about an CUV version like a X4 or X6?
While you are dreaming in Technicolor why not just throw in your desire for an El Camino based on this thing?

·
Registered
13,144 Posts
Stunning Audi A7 competitor that I would buy in a heartbeat. Your photoshop is stunning and I fear never coming to market.

Rear wheel drive only is in my opinion a huge limiting factor.

Today's market calls for AWD option as a necessity in the luxury segment...

Fwd passes but rear drive in the luxury segment means a small slice of the market only.

Look at Mercedes and BMW sales and the percentage of AWD versions to rear wheel drive in the United States....excluding CUVs etc it's still favoring the AWD trend for future luxury vehicles...

Rear wheel drive only on this new proposed 2 door or four coupe would be a fools path for lackluster sales.

Reactions: RedSkyBlackDream

·
Registered
19,260 Posts
Avista would be previewing a potential Alpha coupe, because 90% of the work is already done on one in Camaro and the last thing GM needs is another RWD performance sedan.

Avenir would satisfy the Panamera comment very well, and would be based off Omega as it's basically a Buick CT6 already and the platform will be in dire need of volume while satisfying much more "Buick-y" attributes.

I'm pretty sure both concepts are meant to be what they're meant to be, with the single caveat being that I think a production Avenir, if it ever materializes, would look more like Avista than its concept form.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I think it should be a coupe and sedan and really serve as the flagship/halo car for the brand.

Also, they talked about how the next Insignia/Regal was going to blow people away with its design... so we'll see. Those spy shots also look like a four door coupe...

·
Registered
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Stunning Audi A7 competitor that I would buy in a heartbeat. Your photoshop is stunning and I fear never coming to market.

Rear wheel drive only is in my opinion a huge limiting factor.

Today's market calls for AWD option as a necessity in the luxury segment...

Fwd passes but rear drive in the luxury segment means a small slice of the market only.

Look at Mercedes and BMW sales and the percentage of AWD versions to rear wheel drive in the United States....excluding CUVs etc it's still favoring the AWD trend for future luxury vehicles...

Rear wheel drive only on this new proposed 2 door or four coupe would be a fools path for lackluster sales.
When I say RWD I mean RWD based. AWD would be an option.

Avista would be previewing a potential Alpha coupe, because 90% of the work is already done on one in Camaro and the last thing GM needs is another RWD performance sedan.

Avenir would satisfy the Panamera comment very well, and would be based off Omega as it's basically a Buick CT6 already and the platform will be in dire need of volume while satisfying much more "Buick-y" attributes.

I'm pretty sure both concepts are meant to be what they're meant to be, with the single caveat being that I think a production Avenir, if it ever materializes, would look more like Avista than its concept form.
Equally 90% of the work is already done for a 4-door Alpha, Alpha+ or Omega. With Ed Welburns toys they can print out a body in a few hours for any of the three sizes for a concept. Equally the Avista may have been taken from an Omega sized 4-door coupe and re-scaled to be 3D printed to fit up a Camaro based concept coupe.

So this could easily be a CT6 sister vehicle. But it cold also be a re-skinned CTS. While the last thing GM needs is another RWD performance sedan (THAT DOES NOT SELL) GM absolutely needs an alpha based sedan that is a sales hit - and this could be that hit.

;)

·
Registered
666 Posts
MonaroSS, I honestly had the same thoughts the other day. (Someone should ask Mark Reuss point-blank which Buick is the "more beautiful Panamera.") Of course, your design skills (unlike mine LOL) can express those thoughts very well.

fbg6cpoupe, As for the Avista possible being a preview of the NG Regal, however, I must say no; the camouflaged vehicle now making the rounds look way too dumpy to be an Avista, even if it had 4-doors. Or is all that camouflage really doing a good job? LOL

Reactions: 1958carnut

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
The Avenir was the "beautiful Panamera" that Reuss was referring to.

Reactions: Live001

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Monaro, your chop is awesome and yes, it would be a more beautiful Panamera, Heck, the Panamera is not beautiful so you really can't say more beautiful... Anyway, GM doesn't see, from what the Buick guy was saying, a market for this car so we'll likely never see it.

·
Registered
13,578 Posts
Monaro, your chop is awesome and yes, it would be a more beautiful Panamera, Heck, the Panamera is not beautiful so you really can't say more beautiful... Anyway, GM doesn't see, from what the Buick guy was saying, a market for this car so we'll likely never see it.
Do you see the Buick guy keeping his job if he told us what Buick was going to do?(No!)
Avista coupe and sedan or four-door coupe would easily come off the alpha or omega platforms, with the difference being mostly sheet metal. 90% of the work already done.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts