GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
TROY, Mich., March 29 /PRNewswire/ -- What started as a typical call from an OnStar subscriber to report a stolen vehicle ended with the capture of one of the FBI's most wanted fugitives.

The case, involving Terrence K. Washington, was featured on the March 27 episode of "America's Most Wanted." The show also highlighted OnStar's role in Washington's capture

On March 7, OnStar subscriber Raiford Brown woke to find his 2004 HUMMER H2 missing from the driveway of his home in Brentwood, Tenn., a suburb of Nashville. Brown called the Williamson County Sheriff's Department to report the theft. After filing a police report, the sheriff's department called OnStar to assist in the recovery of the vehicle.

OnStar Advisor Lewis Baldwin answered the stolen vehicle call and after retrieving the necessary information from the subscriber and the police report, he began efforts to locate the HUMMER H2. Within minutes, the advisor pinpointed the whereabouts of the vehicle, which had crossed the state line into Sharonville, Ohio.

With Global Positioning Satellite (GPS) and wireless cellular technologies, OnStar can assist the police by locating a vehicle even if it's moving. The advisor provided the sheriff's department with continuous updates as he monitored the movements of the stolen HUMMER. The information was relayed to the local authorities in the jurisdiction in which the vehicle was located.

The HUMMER H2 was located in Sharonville, Ohio and local authorities apprehended the suspect.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
onstars a great service. too bad the subscription prices is around $217 a year, otherwise i would have keep it. but because of stories like that, i think im going to subscibe again, the handsfree phone service was cool too. its that "snitch" data recorder that pisses me off.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I think the "snitch" data recorder, keeping speeds just before an accident and such, is part of every car for several years (at least every GM car), not just ones with OnStar.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Mar 29 2004, 01:14 PM
I think the "snitch" data recorder, keeping speeds just before an accident and such, is part of every car for several years (at least every GM car), not just ones with OnStar.
That is correct.

·
Registered
363 Posts
How did this H2 get taken without the key with the chip in it. I was under the impression without the key with the pass lock system the car would not start. Can somebody tell me how this can happen? If so seems like passkey is a failure. This is the second GM vehicle I have heard of with this system being stolen.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by Jeffff+Mar 29 2004, 01:37 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Jeffff @ Mar 29 2004, 01:37 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-MelvinJ@Mar 29 2004, 01:14 PM
That is correct. [/b][/quote]
yeah, i knew that.. just thru that in to vent!! sorry i didnt clarify.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
Originally posted by spyderman61@Mar 29 2004, 02:55 PM
How did this H2 get taken without the key with the chip in it.  I was under the impression without the key with the pass lock system the car would not start.  Can somebody tell me how this can happen?  If so seems like passkey is a failure.  This is the second GM vehicle I have heard of with this system being stolen.
think you mean passlock and passlock II, they are actually very good.. but doesnt make a car impossible to steal. two things could have happen.. 1. theif did his homework and was prepared for passlock(had he done that, i'd imagine he'd been smart enough to yank wires out of onstar box). or 2. owner had passlock disabled in order to have an alarm w/remote start added.

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
I love On Star! The vertual advisor is soo awesome, and obviously it is good in cases like that... :lol:

There is now Passlock III

·
Registered
363 Posts
Thnx IMPALAon20s, I know no car is theft proof, I was just wondering the how the theives were going about getting around it. I kind of thought the thief got a hold the keys to the car. I kind of wanted remote start on my Park Ave, but I am unwilling to give up the passlock sys. like to slow down theft possiblities as much as I can. Joy rides are just as bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts