GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am looking into purchasing a new car w/in in the next model year (sometime soon after GM makes the model available), but I'm not interested in OnStar in any way, shape or form.

My questions are these: Is it possible to order a new Chevrolet without OnStar? Would I be wasting my time even trying to special order this way?

Yes I understand that it can be disabled/removed, but thats more time and a hole I then have to fill (from the button removal).

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Because knowing that some corporation knows where you are whenever you are there, knows how fast you are traveling, has the ability to unlock your doors, and even limit the speed at which your car travels is far too Orwellian for my tastes. I'm not suggesting that Onstar is spying on anyone or using their system to collect market info on their users, but knowing that they can at the drop of a dime is not something I'm not comfortable with. Not to mention you have to pay to use it, something I wouldn't do because the system doesn't do anything I want at a price that beats substitutes for those functions.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Because knowing that some corporation knows where you are whenever you are there, knows how fast you are traveling, has the ability to unlock your doors, and even limit the speed at which your car travels is far too Orwellian for my tastes. I'm not suggesting that Onstar is spying on anyone or using their system to collect market info on their users, but knowing that they can at the drop of a dime is not something I'm comfortable with. Not to mention you have to pay to use it, something I wouldn't do because the system doesn't do anything I want at a price that beats substitutes for those functions.
I'm glad I'm not the only one with concern.

·
Registered
213 Posts
On most vehicles, there is a box under the passenger seat. Remove that and leave the buttons.

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Yes it can be deleted: Read this........

For Impala:
ONSTAR, DELETE (Requires a Fleet or Federal Government order type and one of the following order types: FBC, FLS, FNR, FRC, FEF OR SGO. If the order type is FDR, (UE0) OnStar, delete will be forced on.) *CREDIT* NO OPTION KIND UE0
From: http://autolist.thepeachlist.com/Search/Details.cfm?IID=500180375

Cop/fleet tahoe:
UE0 OnStar Delete (Fleet) - ($85)
Requires: [U2J] XM Satellite Radio Delete (Fleet)

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
So I am looking into purchasing a new car w/in in the next model year (sometime soon after GM makes the model available), but I'm not interested in OnStar in any way, shape or form.

My questions are these: Is it possible to order a new Chevrolet without OnStar? Would I be wasting my time even trying to special order this way?

Yes I understand that it can be disabled/removed, but thats more time and a hole I then have to fill (from the button removal).
I am not sure. My 08 Cobalt does not come with OnStar, but most Chevy models do come with it. I am sure you can have it disabled.

I have OnStar on my Vue and I think it is fantastic. Especially the turn-by-turn directions.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Yes it can be deleted: Read this........

For Impala:
ONSTAR, DELETE (Requires a Fleet or Federal Government order type and one of the following order types: FBC, FLS, FNR, FRC, FEF OR SGO. If the order type is FDR, (UE0) OnStar, delete will be forced on.) *CREDIT* NO OPTION KIND UE0
From: http://autolist.thepeachlist.com/Search/Details.cfm?IID=500180375

Cop/fleet tahoe:
UE0 OnStar Delete (Fleet) - ($85)
Requires: [U2J] XM Satellite Radio Delete (Fleet)
Key word though: Fleet. You can find some dealers that will order one under the fleet code (even though you aren't) but my understanding is that many won't.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
The availability of the fleet-only OnStar delete doesn't really help an individual consumer, right? Plus, the choice of models on which OnStar can be deleted is actually pretty limited apparently (Impala, some trucks).

Also, disconnecting the antenna and/or box under the dash/seat of course would disable the service, but who wants a new or new-ish car with warning lights advising of a "problem" (self-inflicted as it may be) with the OnStar service/hardware? So that's the trick that the thread I linked from DigitalCorvettes was trying to address. I haven't read that thread in a while, but I believe they figured it out, at least for the Corvette.

The other issue is that GM of course wouldn't want people willingly removing/disabling OnStar. For one thing, there's the lost service revenue. For another, a stolen vehicle cutoff device with instructions to potential thieves on how to remove/disable it would in large part defeat its purpose.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Add me to that list. Just as phone companies conspired with the gov't for wiretapping, OnStar could team up with national "security" officials as well. But beyond that, I have no use for OnStar either. If they offered a basic emergency service for $5 or $6 a month, it might be worthwhile but I think the least expensive plan is around $15 a month. It's just too expensive. The phone service is tedious (verbally announcing the number you wish to dial slowly enough to be recognized is painful) and turn-by-turn navigation is silly when MapQuest will do the same thing for free before you hit the road. It also irritates me that GM has made it a standard feature when that money could be better spent on more useful features.

·
Registered
4,485 Posts
Add me to that list. Just as phone companies conspired with the gov't for wiretapping, OnStar could team up with national "security" officials as well. But beyond that, I have no use for OnStar either. If they offered a basic emergency service for $5 or $6 a month, it might be worthwhile but I think the least expensive plan is around $15 a month. It's just too expensive. The phone service is tedious (verbally announcing the number you wish to dial slowly enough to be recognized is painful) and turn-by-turn navigation is silly when MapQuest will do the same thing for free before you hit the road. It also irritates me that GM has made it a standard feature when that money could be better spent on more useful features.
Because knowing that some corporation knows where you are whenever you are there, knows how fast you are traveling, has the ability to unlock your doors, and even limit the speed at which your car travels is far too Orwellian for my tastes. I'm not suggesting that Onstar is spying on anyone or using their system to collect market info on their users, but knowing that they can at the drop of a dime is not something I'm not comfortable with. Not to mention you have to pay to use it, something I wouldn't do because the system doesn't do anything I want at a price that beats substitutes for those functions.

I assume you all don't have issue using a cell phone?

·
Registered
5,888 Posts
I don't have a problem using a cell phone, but the biggest difference is that the phone can be turned off. I also don't have a problem with OnStar conceptually - I think it sounds like a nice safety feature, as well as a navigation option/concierge service for those who want to use it for that.

I understand the reasons that GM puts it into so many vehicles (potential ongoing revenue stream plus the ability to advertise it as a standard safety feature nearly across the lineup) and understand why they don't make it easy to get rid of it (outlined in my earlier post), but my personal preference would be for them to make it standard with a no-cost delete option (or even a delete credit) for those (as many of the above posters have noted) who are uncomfortable with it.

·
Registered
4,478 Posts
Cell phone is a bit different, yes you can still be tracked, but it cannot unlock your car, or disable it all together, and a cell phone can easily be left at home, or disabled by pulling the battery. The link to Digital Corvettes posted above goes to a 20+ page thread that talks about people in Australia getting tickets because Onstar knows they were speeding, and testing of that same system is going on in Canada. If the phone company decides that my cell phone is moving too fast they cannot give me a ticket for it. If I end up getting a new Vibe, which seems likely now, first thing I'm doing is disabling the Onstar. The freedoms lost do not make up for the marginal safety and security provided by Onstar, and I am not willing to give up freedoms millions fought and died for to some corporation. "Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither" - Benjamin Franklin.

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
Or a bank account, credit card, file taxes, work (that is have a W-2), etc...

Practically everything is known about you now anyway. I just cancel OnStar after my free year and don't worry about it.

If someone wants to hack your car, they will even without OnStar. Hell your modules keep a total history of faults that can be unlocked with the right security level and looked at.

You people have no idea how much data is floating around your vehicle and is required to now that CAN Networks are federally mandated by law (as of 2009) in ALL vehicles.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Banned
17,572 Posts
but my personal preference would be for them to make it standard with a no-cost delete option (or even a delete credit) for those (as many of the above posters have noted) who are uncomfortable with it.
See my post as to why that doesn't matter. Data is logged and retained no matter what on ALL cars not just GM cars with OnStar.

Work with Automotive modules and if you are a parinoid person your only solution is to stop driving. Mandated CAN Networks and OBD-II Compliance has made it so that so much must be saved.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
While you are worried about OnStar don't forget the blackbox. DuSpinnst's last two posts pretty much covers it all.

Don't worry, only on April 1st (April Fools day) do a few pranksters at OnStar unlock your doors, toot the horn, make obscene phone calls or set off the airbags for laughs.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.