GM Inside News Forum banner

Only@GMI: Photos From British Motor Show!

7K views 50 replies 37 participants last post by  eb110americana 
#1 · (Edited)
Only@GMI: Photos From British Motor Show!

A special thanks to GMI Member ChevyRules for taking these photos and providing them to GMI!!

Vauxhall Insignia

Vauxhall Astra VXR

Vauxhall Corsa

Opel Flextreme

Hummer Concept

Chevrolet Beat Concept

Click Here for High-Resolution Gallery!

See less See more
#3 ·
The Insignia SCREAMS Buick to me, well at least the sedan, not the hatchback

look at the grill, it looks like the grills on the new "Super" models, except for the waterfall effect that they do to it like on the Enclave

the taillights remind me of the Riviera concept shown in China earlier this year

oh and btw, i absolutely hate the Beat, do to it like GM did with the EV-1's, smash it, bury it, and forget it

#5 ·
Just when I thought the only car at the show was the Insignia...along comes an Astra, a Corsa and a Beat.

#22 ·
Uh, huh. I was thinking the same thing, Saturn69. The Insignia's quite fetchin', though. Extremely nice work, GM Design!

The Insignia is the best looking car I have ever seen from GM... I would make it a Saab, and go after the young professional crowd.
Psst, have you seen the CTS Coupe Concept? (I ask kiddingly).

The Cadillac CTC was there.

The CTS Coupe Concept is still gorgeous!

Nice work, ChevyRules.

#7 ·
I don't see what this couldn't be a Saturn!!!

I also don't understand why people would think this would make a good Buick!!?? If Buick were truly going to go for the "professional" image it USED to have 40 years ago... I would expect FAR MORE from Insignia!!!

Perhaps it is my expectations that GM actually do better than simply "mediocre."

This is perfect for Saturn. It's only 70% there for a Buick. And it's only 50% there for a Saab.

Oh yeah... and GM wants to get rid of HUMMER WHY!!!????
Seriously people. Let's take a look at what HUMMER can offer GM in the near future!!

#9 ·
I have a few more photo's as well.

That was a "WTF?" photo as that is an extremely small wheel for the H3. I hope that was just for the show.

They had the Camaro convert concept.

Provoq was there too.

The Opel Meriva Concept was there as well.

The Cadillac CTC was there.

How can I forget the King of Corvette's?

The Saab hybrid concept

As did the 9-4x made it.

The "holy grail" of cars was there.

XF. I love the interior. You can tell Apple had a hand in the design.

The C63 AMG. Really disappointed in the interior. Hard and cheap materials were used. People here complain about BMW interiors. At least BMW uses leather.......

#10 · (Edited)
To add a few notes to my photo's above:

1) BMW and VW were mysteriously missing from the show. I was really looking forward to see the new 7 series in person.

2) People loved the new Insignia. Everyone was going, " Wow, this is so much better then the Vectra."

3) People were not too kind to the Cadillac's though. When I was taking pics of the CTC, people were going, " The competition is now going to a smoother design while this as an angular line design." with much disappointment in their voices.

4) The Insignia's interior beats out every non-Cadillac US GM vehicles interior in every way. The materials used were top notch.

#17 ·
To add a few notes to my photo's above:

1) BMW and VW were mysteriously missing from the show. I was really looking forward to see the new 7 series in person.

2) People loved the new Insignia. Everyone was going, " Wow, this is so much better then the Vectra."

3) People were not too kind to the Cadillac's though. When I was taking pics of the CTC, people were going, " The competition is now going to a smoother design while this as an angular line design." with much disappointment in their voices.

4) The Insignia's interior beats out every non-Cadillac US GM vehicles interior in every way. The materials used were top notch.
I think that is where European and American tastes differ in some respects.

Lovely pics by the way ChevyRules, very nice selections.:yup:

#12 ·
I have to say that I am somewhat relieved that the Aura will not be simply a re-grilled Insignia. As handsome as the Insignia is, it seems a copy of the BMW 5 in the rear and rear quarter aspect (which begat the Nissan Altima, which begat the hyundai Genesis and the Buick Invicta........).

#14 ·
That rice is your holy grail of cars? please...

The Insignia has to be the worst of the recent GM designs. Is it a GMDaewoo design? That's what it looks like, a Korean copy of a Camry. Too round. I sure hope that the Opel version will get some modifications, otherwise they're going to get killed. The interior is good, too much plastic as always and I'm sure it drives good, but the exterior is just terrible.

#27 ·
#20 · (Edited)
Great pictures ChevyRules!! Thanks for sharing them with us. I didn't know you went to the U.K. ;) That's cool. I love the Insignia, it's an clean, extremely well done design. It's sad how much better that 9-4X Concept looks than what we've seen of the production version though. :(

#21 ·
Fail the big numbers are already MPH on that speedo what else needs done to bring it here. Gaa. Even though they just recently discovered that better product sells better than incentives on a crappy product they say lets wait 2 more years then bring the now stale product over.

#24 ·
Insignia is a beautiful car. Why GM, WHY DON'T YOU BRING IT TO NA SOON???? Haven't you learned your lesson? I would have thought you would have figured out bringing great product to the market results in very strong sales (Malibu). Refresh the Aura with the Insignia and see sales climb.

#26 ·
Saturn has few dealers and no ad budget. That's why the cars haven't sold. A newer car that people also don't know is out there won't improve sales one lick.

#30 ·
I love the Corsa! That'd make a great commuter and it doesn't look like a POS Yaris either.
The Insignia's got a strange side profile. That protruding nose looks awful...is that because of the pedestrian crash standards? Ewwww...still better than a Camry in looks by a long shot.

#33 ·
First off, +500 bonus points to ChevyRules for taking these photos and sharing them with all of us. Nice.

Second, I think this, right here might be why the US Aura is getting the redesign:

While many would be just fine with a more compact sedan, I think an additional extra few inches of rear seat legroom would help it compete here. Even Mazda added length to their 6, and our Accord is entirely larger than the rest of the world's (sold here as the TSX). Here's hoping they change next to nothing, except adding some length without much weight.

The Insignia is a very well done car. It's not a stunner the way the Camaro or CTS coupe are, but that is for the best. It's stylish, classy, and modern without being polarizing or off-putting to some. The only thing I would change is a bit of the interior.

My first thoughts were that GM still needs to move away from the excess of gray plastics. This is one area where Opel/Vauxhall should have taken some cues from the Malibu's interior color palette.

This is better, but the dash upper and almost every piece of switchgear leaves something to be desired:

Even if it adds $500-$1,000 cost to the car, it's worth it not to cheapen the vehicle with a sea of homogeneous gray buttons and plastic on all tactile surfaces. How about some real metal knobs? Some glossy plastic? If it can be done on cheap $5 toys at RadioShack, it can be done in a car. Otherwise, great job GM!

#34 ·
what platform is the Insignia built off?

it shares a LOT of features/designs with the VE Commodore/Pontiac G8
heres a couple i can find pics of, but i've noticed others while looking at other photos

check out:

rear seat (especially seatbelt placement and stitching pattern)

door/window frame and door handle

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.