GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my Malibu a year ago today. So far it has treated me well and gets great gas milage too. I got 26 mpg on my last fill up, all city driving with short trips. I've only put 4,500 miles on it, so I have quite a bit left to go on this car.

Here are some pictures from when I recently washed it:

Here is my thread from last November when I first posted:
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/my-new-2007-chevrolet-malibu-57359/

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Holy crap! 4,500 miles in one year? I should say it has been on many short trips! ;) Looks great though!

·
Registered
944 Posts
I'm guessing your big on using your friends for a ride(mooching) or public transit?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I'm guessing your big on using your friends for a ride(mooching) or public transit?
Not at all. My job is 4 miles away and my commute to college is 7 miles each way.

I will hopefully get tint eventually to help in the summer heat. It should also make the car look pretty nice all dark.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Seems like it's treating you well. My '07 Forester has 41k on it :zippy:

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Only 4500 miles? You need to do some driving. I'm at 13K on my Impala, and I bought it last spring. :D

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
4500 miles?

Wow. I bought the Silverado at the end of September last year (2007), and have put about 24,000 miles on it since.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I look at it as a good thing. Sure cuts down on gas costs.

Having this car a year with this engine, I a really impressed with it. GM has a huge winner with the 2.2 Ecotec. It is really economical if you try a little bit (26 mpg city) and also really seems to have decent power for it's size. The car does lug up hills, which there is quite a bit of around here. So almost always it will have to kick down a gear to get to the top. But on flat surfaces, this car feels like it has a V6 in it.

·
Registered
5,864 Posts
The car will last a long time if you treat it right.

Try to rev the engine up to the higher RPM range every now and then, since the car doesn't get much driving.

·
Registered
9,751 Posts
Hey, I've only got like 4,200 miles on the SS since January...

Glad to hear it's been treating you well! Good luck with the next year.

·
Super Moderator
20,962 Posts
I've found that keeping the 2.2L below 2500 RPM usually gets me pretty good fuel economy. I'm averaging 29 MPG right now.

But there are those days that you just want to hear that engine rev up to 5000 RPM...that's always fun...:D

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The car will last a long time if you treat it right.

Try to rev the engine up to the higher RPM range every now and then, since the car doesn't get much driving.
Oh believe me...I do....:yup: Gotta protect the engine from carbon build up after all...

But seriously, coming home from work some nights, there is a long stretch of road where there is usually no one else there, and I will give it a couple of seconds WOT or maybe a little less just for a few seconds.

I've found that keeping the 2.2L below 2500 RPM usually gets me pretty good fuel economy. I'm averaging 29 MPG right now.

But there are those days that you just want to hear that engine rev up to 5000 RPM...that's always fun...:D
I do the same thing, try to keep it under 2500 RPM. When I first got the car I tried keeping it under 2000 RPM like I did with my Taurus but I soon realized that wouldn't cut it.

Right around 3500 RPM is where any power actually comes into play and when you push it to 5k RPMS, you can really actually feel it push you into the seat a little bit. And it also sounds really nice. The exhaust note on the 2.2 Malibus are really nice if not a little too quiet compared to the 2.2 Cobalts. The Cobalts sound a little too tinny.

Something interesting I once read in a review on this car once. The reviewer wrote that he preferred the 4 cyl Malibu for curvy roads. I can only guess it is because it is lighter than the V6 and has a better overall balance.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
you need to throw some SS wheels on it :cool:

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
you need to throw some SS wheels on it :cool:
I'm actually not a fan of the SS wheels. They are so big they look cartoonish. I would be happy with some 16 inch alloys, but OEM used wheels for this car are hard to find because it is still too new. If anyone happens to have any at a really good price, let me know.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How about just no hubcaps? Throw on some chrome center caps and tint, and I could pass for an undercover cop car. lol

Taken last winter after washing it:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts