GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

In the first quarter of this year, one of three small sports tility vehicles (SUVs) sold in the United States appeared to be models produced and exported by South Korea's GM.

25, according to KPM, U.S. sales of small SUV models produced and exported domestically by GM, including Chevrolet Trailblazer, Tracks and Buick Encore GX, were 66,643 in the first quarter, more than 30 percent of all sales of the 15 small SUV models sold in the United States.

올해 1분기 미국에서 판매된 소형 SUV 3대 중 1대는 한국GM | 연합뉴스 (yna.co.kr)

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,348 Posts
That's pretty good(after you do Google translate) that the Trailblazer is doing so well.

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
Interesting, but kind of a meaningless statistic.................

Daewoo for the win?

These are the kind of cars that should be made in Mexico.

Reactions: gkr778

·
Registered
296 Posts

Daewoo for the win?

It shouldn't matter where these cars are coming from, as long as they are part of the GM network.

·
Registered
7,338 Posts
Such a wonderful 'American' company. Barra should be tired patting herself on the back and counting her millions

·
Registered
20,528 Posts
It shouldn't matter where these cars are coming from, as long as they are part of the GM network.
Would you brag about your Corvette if it came from Korea or China?

·
Registered
4,818 Posts

Daewoo for the win?

GM is making way more money off the Trailblazer and Encore GX then the Cruze. They could have developed the GMC Granite concept and those 3 cars could have kept Lordstown open.

I still say US first and Mexico next if there is no capacity at plants. Lordstown didn't have to die.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,626 Posts
Daewoo for the win?

Yup, GM's acquisition of Daewoo Motors in 2001 is definitely a win whether intentional or not.

GM's San Luis Potosí Assembly plant in Mexico is currently one of the assembly plants for Chevy Trax. Also, both that plant and Ramos Arizpe Assembly were final assembly locations for other GM Korea designed vehicles in the past.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
I still say US first and Mexico next if there is no capacity at plants. Lordstown didn't have to die.
GM and SAIC have more than enough production capacity globally for Gamma II and VSS-F subcompact SUVs at Bupyeong, Shanghai, Yantai, and San Luis Potosí.

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
GM and SAIC have more than enough production capacity globally for Gamma II and VSS-F subcompact SUVs at Bupyeong, Shanghai, Yantai, and San Luis Potosí.
GM needs to get out of its SAIC relationship. The US first phase trade agreement allows it to.

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
GM needs to get out of its SAIC relationship. The US first phase trade agreement allows it to.
Are there problems with the GM-SAIC JV that would justify dissolution? Seems to me the two companies have worked together very well since the JV was established almost 24 years ago.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Maybe San Luis Potosi needed to close. A lot more Americans buy buicks and chevys then Central Americans.

Honda, Toyota, and Hyundai can build cars in America to sell here. GM should too.

Reactions: steve333 and Ed753

·
Registered
3,626 Posts
Maybe San Luis Potosi needed to close.
San Luis Potosí Assembly is one of GM's newest, highest quality, and best run assembly plants in North America. In addition to Chevy Trax, it currently assembles Onix, Equinox, and Terrain primarily for markets in the Americas.

Utilization rates have always been high at SLP. There is no good reason for GM to close the facility, nor were there any such reasons in the past.

·
Premium Member
34,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Are there problems with the GM-SAIC JV that would justify dissolution? Seems to me the two companies have worked together very well since the JV was established almost 24 years ago.
Shared profits for one, making very low income from GM IP in Chainah

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
San Luis Potosí Assembly is one of GM's newest, highest quality, and best run assembly plants in North America. In addition to Chevy Trax, it currently assembles Onix, Equinox, and Terrain primarily for markets in the Americas.

Utilization rates have always been high at SLP. There is no good reason for GM to close the facility, nor were there any such reasons in the past.
Oshawa was GM's highest quality plant in North America and GM closed it.

If the employees at SLP assembly were making $28 bucks an hour GM would have closed it too.

There was no good reason to allocate the Equinox, Terrain, Blazer, and Trailblazer to Mexico when there was plenty of capacity in high quality US plants to build the cars.

This is outsourcing and throwing American and Canadian workers under the bus plain and simple

1 - 20 of 33 Posts