1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It’s an A+ for the Mercedes-AMG GT and Maybach -
but editor-in-chief Steve Fowler isn't convinced
about other Mercs... As my colleague Owen Mildenhall was testing the
new Mercedes-AMG GT to its limits around the Laguna Seca circuit in California, I enjoyed a more
relaxed time chatting with Mercedes’ sales and
marketing boss Ola Källenius in the back of the new Mercedes-Maybach S600.[

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/merced...cars-but-there-s-something-lacking-across-its

·
Registered
13,172 Posts
Re: "On the whole, Mercedes makes great cars, but there’s something lacking"

German excellence runs counter intuitive to a degree with regards passion that the Italians have in abundance...

When it comes to this sports category that Mercedes enters with the AMG GTS....it's one feature that transcends logical value in purchase....

Great vehicle but lacking that one feature.....

Even the Americans offer insane boldness in lieu of the level of passion the Italians offer.....

The German amg gt misses the mark on American boldness as well...

The AMG GTS versus the Porsche will pale for the AWD 2 + 2 911...both without passion.

Reactions: Jesda and sfbreh

·
Registered
13,578 Posts

MB has shown over the years that it can produce mediocre cars, including he CLA, widely understood as a mediocre car with a "great badge." Noisy, rough ride, high repair costs, crowded interior, and NOT the respected rwd. It's a money grab taking advantage of the low information car buyer, who is is led to believe it is a true and worthy MB

·
Registered
990 Posts

The only Mercedes I would buy is the S-Class range of models, the rest of the line-up, no thanks! I driven the S-Class and fell in love with it. The other models, I was not interested in test driving or did not want any info to take back with me.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,298 Posts

i beleive the E SERIES of the eighties and nineties have the reputation of being the "last overengineerd" mercedes.

Reactions: Jesda

·
Registered
19,262 Posts

You are all going to upset Mescurgo :)

I think most Mercedes are very elegant and beautiful (except the S Class - it's back half doesn't look right to me). However they have an aloofness to the styling that comes across as cold to me, kind of emulating what I expect to step out of one - an aloof executive (S Class) or aloof trophy wife (C or E Class).

·
Registered
5,300 Posts

Like all companies, they have their hits and their misses.

For example the
R Class was a total dud in engineering, pricing, interior layout etc

·
Super Moderator
21,421 Posts

The R was a good car. It was engineered well, priced fair, and offered lots of room. It just didn't appeal to the suburbanites when cars like the GL and ML were sitting right across the showroom.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Not one Benz since the W126 is worthy of the name.

Reactions: vette61

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

My fiancee and I have pledged to get ourselves at least one Gelandewagen

·
Registered
10,489 Posts

I had a 116 Benz and I have been generally disappointed in the looks of their offerings since about 2005 or whenever that sedan-coupe was released. Occasional ones I like but I would not be determined to buy one like I was with the 116 all those years ago.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts

...or a house....
there are used ones...and from my research they're generally pretty reliable compared with most used German cars of that age. She wants a 2002+ 4 door but I wouldn't mind a grey market 2 door

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.