GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
A 300hp V-6 sounds interesting. I wonder how fast it will be, and how much it will cost.

·
Registered
528 Posts
You know, I could have guessed it wasn't going to be released until a few months into next year. Delays seem to be pretty common with this car.

I however, am mad about the engine choices. Where is the little V8? I don't want a camaro V6. I don't want a huge V8 either.

Also, they talk about cylinder deactivation, last I heard that only works with automatics. Are they cutting the manuals? Isn't that the problem they are having with the G8 manual right now? Hopefully they will work it out so it works with a clutch. Otherwise, no sale for me.

·
Registered
869 Posts
This is interesting. A V8 with cylinder deactivation that makes over 400 HP. Neither the G8's 6.0 or the LS3 fit those specs. I wonder if LS3 is getting cylinder deactivation, or the other motor (forgot the designation) is getting its HP upped - or maybe it makes more power with premium? Thoughts?

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is interesting. A V8 with cylinder deactivation that makes over 400 HP. Neither the G8's 6.0 or the LS3 fit those specs. I wonder if LS3 is getting cylinder deactivation, or the other motor (forgot the designation) is getting its HP upped - or maybe it makes more power with premium? Thoughts?
If the LS3 gets cylinder deactivation it might make it into the next Corvette as a way of helping the CAFE requirements. Of course, much like the First-to-Fourth SkipShift I won't be surprised if there is a simple workaround to deactivate it, should a buyer so choose. ;)

-John K.
Phoenix, AZ

·
Registered
518 Posts
Peper said only the coupe will be offered for the first nine months of the model’s life, with a choice of a 400-plus-hp, 6.0-liter V-8 or a 300-plus-hp, 3.9-liter V-6.
300-plus-hp, 3.9-liter V-6 ? What engine family is this? Some variant of the 3.9 liter VVT in the current Impala?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
The 300HP V6 sounds perfect for most buyers. It will probably smoke a Mustang GT off the line, and getter better economy. You should probably buy the V8 while its still available, because knowing GMand CAFE, it won't last long.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
300-plus-hp, 3.9-liter V-6 ? What engine family is this? Some variant of the 3.9 liter VVT in the current Impala?
I am thinking that is exactly what this is as it would take a very major engineering effort to make cylinder deactivation work on the HF engines. I am betting this is the 3.9L high value ohv with cylinder Deactivation and DI to get it upto 300hp+. Could be a cool engine for other affordable cars also!

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
hmmm, someone going after a sales record for a year??????? ;)

CobaltSS

PS: 3.9L HF?

Holly false info Batman!!

Sales record of the year? Unless they can sell a million in a year and a half, its not going to happen.

3.9 is wrong, 400hp V8 is wrong, wrong wrong wrong....
Anyone that hangs around a message board knows that none of this is happening. This is gunna put some people into a weird spot.

Disreguard this article. Every ounce of it. There might be some truth to some of it, but for the most part its just nonsence.
Nothing has changed.

·
Registered
293 Posts
ooo a 300hp V6.. just think the top of the line old Camaro was 325.. lol

cant wait.. we finally have a date
I think Feb-Mar of 09 has always been the known date out there. :confused:

Curious, what's the source of this info and what part of it is new exactly? Did Jim Mateja speak with Ed Peper directly for this info? That would be awesome. :hyper:

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
ooo a 300hp V6.. just think the top of the line old Camaro was 325.. lol

cant wait.. we finally have a date
Yeah, but it is also how effiently it uses those 300 HPs. Old cars were notoriously inefficent in regards to putting the raw numbers to the road...Drivetrain/ frame flex, inefficient tires, etc. Cars with half the horsepower these days can usually smoke a lot of old cars with more, even with all the added crash protection (see weight and bulk), standard features (power windows, air-con, etc.)...And that 300 HP car will get better mileage than a sub-compact back in the early 80s.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Holly false info Batman!!

Sales record of the year? Unless they can sell a million in a year and a half, its not going to happen.

3.9 is wrong, 400hp V8 is wrong, wrong wrong wrong....
Anyone that hangs around a message board knows that none of this is happening. This is gunna put some people into a weird spot.

Disreguard this article. Every ounce of it. There might be some truth to some of it, but for the most part its just nonsence.
Nothing has changed.
How is this info any different that what was already expected?? It was always expected to have a V8 and a V6. I basically understood this to be the initial engine choices anyhow, just the power that was in question and being 100% speculation. This could still be 100% speculation, but seems Peper and others have been talking a bit more from what he is saying.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Its got some stuff thats right, but clearly just stuff that is common sense when it comes to any pony car such as V6 and V8.

Its been known since mid 2006 that the Camaro would be produced. About a year later, we knew that production would be late 2008 and sold as a 2010 to get a jump on the Mustang and Challenger.

Its also known that it wont get the 3.9 nor the 3.5 for a year now. It will get the 3.6. It probably will not get a 300hp V6, that is speculation. It will most likely fall int he 270-290hp range.
There wont be a 400hp V8 either. The LS2 is done. It wll either be the L76 base engine with LS3 mid level V8.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.