1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Olds owners sadly seek new ride
By Thomas Hartley
Business First of Buffalo

Mike Noah's love affair with cars started even before he was old enough to drive.

It was his father's Oldsmobile that did it.

"Dad owned a neat blue and white 1955 Olds. Back then, Olds was in the high echelon of cars. It made a lasting impression on me because of its quality and price. When it came to purchasing my first car, it had to be Oldsmobile. That definitely was my choice," said Noah, senior vice president of NCO Financial Services Inc. in Amherst.

A two-door 1981 Cutlass was the first of the 15 different Oldsmobiles that he purchased over the years.

"Each of that car's doors must have weighed about 800 pounds!" Noah said, thinking back on the two-tone blue car he bought when he was 35 years old and working at M&T Bank.

In subsequent years, he has owned several Olds 88s -- his favorite model -- a Cutlass Supreme, an Aurora and a Bravada SUV. Noah's wife, son, and daughter also have been, or are, Oldsmobile owners.

When Oldsmobile stopped making cars in April after 107 years, Noah and tens of thousands of other loyal Olds owners in Western New York and elsewhere were forced into having to deal with a new reality: life without a familiar name in their garages or under the carport.

Another of those loyalists is Gerald Kantor, a 64-year-old semi-retired chemical engineer from Buffalo. He bought his first Oldsmobile in 1968 and knows that the car he purchased in 2000 probably will be his last new Olds and the last of seven consecutive Oldsmobiles.

Kantor, who drives a 2000 Olds Intrigue, faces the motoring future resigned and sad. Like many others, he remembers with affection and nostalgia the brand that made its first appearance in 1897 and was the longest-running vehicle brand in America.

Saying good-bye to Olds is bidding a final fond farewell to an old friend.

I'm upset at GM for the action they took in regards to Oldsmobile. They took out a mid-price automobile that was an innovative line," Kantor says.

The demise of Olds has left loyal owners scanning alternative vehicles for what formerly would have been their second or third choices.

"Olds was a well-engineered car that was always striving for a more up-to-date version," says Kantor. "The engines were superior, sweet and solid. Olds was the testing ground for Cadillac and many ideas, including the double overhead cam engine.

"Where will I go now? Well, my son is in sales for Jim Ball Pontiac in Orchard Park so I probably will take a look at Pontiac. The biggest thing is I'll have to have an open mind," he says.

Full Uncut Article Here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Olds was a well-engineered car that was always striving for a more up-to-date version," says Kantor. "The engines were superior, sweet and solid. Olds was the testing ground for Cadillac and many ideas, including the double overhead cam engine.

"Where will I go now? Well, my son is in sales for Jim Ball Pontiac in Orchard Park so I probably will take a look at Pontiac. The biggest thing is I'll have to have an open mind," he says.
Sounds like he'd be the perfect customer for a Bonneville GXP

·
Registered
89 Posts
I hate GM. I can't believe they actually did kill off Olds. What the hell is their problem. How can they kill something so cool like an Aurora and let something so gay like a GTO ride the roads. Olds was too good for GM. May all the members of GM who let this happen burn in hell for ever and ever. All I buy and drive and is Olds. I guess I have to buy Chryslers now......

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
it's just stupid that as many cars are sold in this country, there is no room for one of the oldest brands in the world to survive. honestly, why did Olds get the axe when Buick is more boring, and doesn't have as much history? better yet, why did the General kill Olds by offering the same cars as other GM brands with a different face and a couple of unique features? oh, GM does that with ALL of their American brands. (and they're working on it with the foreign brands, too.) if they would differentiate the cars more, make some exciting ones once in a while, and emphasize quality, there would be room for 20 brands if they wanted them. Toyota just expanded to another brand, but GM had to kill one. that's not even to mention what Chrysler did several years ago to Plymouth. we shouldn't lose American automotive heritage because of mediocre products. hopefully Ford doesn't follow the others and end up dumping Mercury or something. hopefully we've seen the last of this. high quality vehicles that are actually a pleasure to see in one's driveway is all it takes to stay alive. let's see it happen guys!!!

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
hahahaha.

Does anyone else find it odd that someone with the name PontiacDriver says the only thing he drives are olds?

Anyway, the key thing here is to get those loyal olds buyers into the new Buick and Pontiac stuff.

The ONLY bad thing about the GTO is its not as aggressive looking as people want. In every other way, its a superior car. I didnt like the Aurora though. Get those V8s in Buick damn it!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
All I buy and drive and is Olds. I guess I have to buy Chryslers now......

why is your name pontiac driver?? i guess if Olds was all you bought, you can actually BECOME a pontiac driver now. as far as the GTO comment.. it's boring outside, beautiful inside. Chrysler is junk.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Why get rid of the name olds? Because the name inspired nothing. OLD's, how many buyers young and old alike want a car with the name old in it? Or even the word mobile in it?

Hey wow what kinda car is that?! It's the new Oldsmobile Achieva! You've come along way baby. Woohoo!

The Aurora and 442 were the only decent cars olds produced in the last how many years?

I'm sure another division can soak up the sales.

·
Registered
461 Posts
I'm in the same boat. My 2002 Intrigue is a good car that I hope to have for many years, but without an Olds to step into when it comes time to trade I don't know what I'll do. Certainly the current Buick lineup has no attraction for me and unless they change the entire "feel" of Buick the future cars won't either. I don't want an old man's car.

Pontiac is too boy-racerish for my liking and their interiors are too gimmicky. Again, unless they change that, they won't be on my list. Chevy is too low-end. Saturn doesn't even get on my radar screen. That leaves Caddy, whose cars I like, but which are too pricey when new for me. I hate to say it, but if I was in the market today, I might have to buy a Chrysler product.

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Originally posted by SUPERBADD75@Jun 16 2004, 07:04 PM
it's just stupid that as many cars are sold in this country, there is no room for one of the oldest brands in the world to survive
very good point,
who needs brands as Lexus or Honda,which in early 80's produced only Microwaves???

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
GM has too many brands with too little to differentiate them from one another. The cost of maintaining these brands, even with the little differentiation, is a burden on GM when competing with Toyohondanissan. Redesign dollars that went to the Lacrosse, for instance, could have given us an all new Impala - in the same timeframe as a Camry, Civic, or Accord redesign, not 7-year or more cycles.

GM creating Saturn and saving Saab - only to eventually end up giving them version #456 of the Trailblazer and CSVs all around makes it all the more pointless.

GM may have a strategy, but to me it just looks like "Flood the markets with 7 barely different designs of the same vehicle, offer heavy rebates, and hang on to market share".

·
Registered
54 Posts
I will not miss Olds. Olds means absolutely nothing to me, although my parents did own a Cutlass Supreme Broughm. One of GM's many brands had to go, and Olds just happened to be it. I agree the name Oldsmobile does sound kind of bad. But remember, Olds of late were nothing more than badge engineered vehicles. What could you get at Olds that you couldnt get from any other GM division. I think Saturn should be next. Unless they think fast and start importing Opels/Vauxhall's as is. Even Holdens would be good for Saturn to include in their lineup.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacDriver123@Jun 16 2004, 06:59 PM
I hate GM. I can't believe they actually did kill off Olds. What the hell is their problem. How can they kill something so cool like an Aurora and let something so gay like a GTO ride the roads. Olds was too good for GM. May all the members of GM who let this happen burn in hell for ever and ever. All I buy and drive and is Olds. I guess I have to buy Chryslers now......
GM had to kill Olds, it was not profitable, they were losing money. Thats part of the Automotive world, get over it.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Alero, Bravada and the van were nothing too special. Though all decent vehicles, they were basically badge engineering.

Aurora and Intrigue were the last real original Oldsmobiles with their own power trains and features and they died 2 years ago. Sad, but I will enjoy my Intrigue for 4-5 more years before I move on. Some day I hope to buy a classic Olds as a summer car.

In the end, the foreign car makers have helped kill off another American icon. GM made mistakes also and had to make a decision and that's life. RIP, it was fun while it lasted.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Another good olds was the tornado. My best friends first car was a tornado with one of the early 3.8 engines (maybe a first run 3800 I'm not really sure) we went off a 5 foot ditch at 112 in that thing three days after he got his licence. Didnt even scratch the thing. (bent the front wheel and conecting parts to it up preaty good though) all in all is was greate car had more creature comforts than my 92 LeSabre Limited (which is really lacking in that department to be a "luxuary" based car...) You cant get rid of buick though, they orginaly basicly started GM....

·
Registered
425 Posts
They should of just made olds a brand for younger peolpe like toyota did with scion.Instead of killing it they should of tryed to get a profit out of it.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacDriver123@Jun 16 2004, 06:59 PM
I bet you really drive a Ford.

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
Originally posted by diablo4@Jun 17 2004, 01:35 AM
They should of just made olds a brand for younger peolpe like toyota did with scion.Instead of killing it they should of tryed to get a profit out of it.
"Olds"mobile wouldn't quite sound right for young people lol. :flush:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts