GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Lining up with my personal vision for GM, I've created what could end up being one of the most well-rounded vehicles on the road. The Oldsmobile Aurora - reborn.

The reborn Aurora rides on a platform called ZE - short for "Zeta-Epsilon". Its only drive wheel option is symmetrical AWD. The engine is longitudinally-mounted. The platform is designed so that the driver sits exactly in the middle of the car's length. The front and rear overhangs are the same length as well.

The new Aurora is designed to be an Oldsmobile design revolution, just as the first generation was when it was introduced. It sports a brand-new badge (a hybrid of the red oldsmobile logo and the new "rocket" logo). The Aurora has no traditional grille - instead, there are four "gills" up front located on the inside of the headlamps. The gills on top function as the grille and the gills on the bottom function as the air dam. There are also two gills in the back located next to the red reflectors - they're the exhaust ports.

Designed to take Buick's place as it would move upmarket, the new Oldsmobile brand would focus on being the most well-rounded upscale vehicles on the road.

Here we go...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Re: Oldsmobile Aurora - A Car like a Rocket

I like it, but I don't feel like it's "revolutionary" enough like the first-gen Aurora was--this looks much more like the 2nd gen (which don't get me wrong, I loved). It just looks a little plain for a 'new' Aurora. I do like that it has some of the 2000-2005 Bonneville in it in the doors, where the belt line curves up towards the rear. Any chance we can see a front end sketch ;) ?

·
Registered
4,152 Posts
Re: Oldsmobile Aurora - A Car like a Rocket

Hehe, between you, me, and Taglane, I'd say we know where Oldsmobile needed to go!

For Reference:

My Oldsmobile Intrigue:

Taglane's Oldsmobile Aurora:

-Chase

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Now that I've established a theme with the Aurora, it's time to take the theme further.

First off - naming. The vehicles will now be named like science-fiction spacecraft, with a prefix before each name based on the engine. For example:

N36 Aurora - N for naturally-aspirated, 36 for 3.6L, then the name Aurora.

N = naturally-aspirated
H = hybrid-electric
T = turbocharged
30 = 3.0L SIDI V6
36 = 3.6L SIDI V6

So, now, I'd like to introduce two new models.

Oldsmobile N30/H30 Recon

The redefinition of the minivan. No longer do minivans have to be dowdy or cheap. This minivan is essentially a high-tech lounge on wheels - designed like a spacecraft inside and out. This isn't your typically-driving minivan either - symmetrical AWD plus the BalanceDrive platform equal near-perfect weight distribution of 52/48.

Oldsmobile N36/H30/T30 Comet

This is Oldsmobile's performance coupe. It's the spiritual successor to the 442 and also the American answer to the late Toyota Supra. Designed with the original Oldsmobile Alero concept in mind, this machine is designed for the drivers who want the most out of their cars. With the driver sitting in the horizontal center of gravity, this car can take off like a rocket.

These two models join the N36/H30/T36 Aurora in the lineup.

DESIGN CONTEST PARTICIPANTS - take note that I will be making an announcement concerning the contests in a few days. (Don't worry, it's nothing bad!)

·
Registered
5,986 Posts
figures I'd *like* the Comet ;)

looks a bit smaller than a 442 tho - think the roof is just a bit too tall and bubbly - but a very tasty overall design!

also *like* your naming scheme, A.J. - afaik something no one else is trying :)

G

·
There should seriously be a petition to restore the Oldsmobile brand. I love these designs so much more than what has been coming out recently. Lovely work. Might like to see a new Ciera too ;3

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Personally I'd just like to see Buick offer models that revive the late Oldsmobile design theme. Like offer the Opel Cascada WITHOUT a waterfall grill. Also keep the Intrigue in mind when designing the next Insignia/Regal.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts