GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets start a discussion on one of the best sedans GM has made!

ab348 : Here it it!

·
Registered
461 Posts
You beat me to it! I was just going to do the same thing myself. Nice to see you again! Dindak and I are refugees from another forum that is going a little too strict on civilized discussion. Their loss. ;-)

I have had my 2002 Intrigue GX since August/03. Tropic Teal with Pewter interior. It was a fleet car and I bought it from the dealer who sold it new. Nicest car I've ever had. It is just about to turn 39,000 km and I have not had one thing go wrong except for a paint issue on the rear bumper cover that the dealer took care of under warranty. Other than that, it has been perfect. I think by '02 they finally got it right with these. What a sweet engine that 3.5 is! And what a shame it (and Olds) is no more.

Today I picked up a set of Intrigue-logo rubber mats from the dealer. A nice complement to the factory mats and more practical for a Canadian late winter/early spring. I'll go back to the carpet mats once things get a little less messy out there.

Any other Intrigue-ing types out there?

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I agree that the Intrigue is one of the best sedans. I bought my '98 2 1/2 years ago with 74K miles on it, and now it has 113K.

I've had a few problems with it, like the first and second fan speeds going out on it twice, but it's still a solid car. The 3800 still starts with a half second twist of the key.

It tows our pop-up camper easily also.

Does anyone have any high-mileage experience with the 3.5 twin cam V6? I wouldn't mind replacing this one with another Intrigue when the time comes, but I'm paranoid about maintenance costs

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have a gray 2000 GL with about 75K Kms on the dial. No major issues, just a bad temp sensor and I needed an intermediate steering shaft lube (all done under warranty). Car is running better than ever with original brake pads still on.

ab348 : Didn't know they had rubber logo mats. Are they from your GM dealer? Assuming all goes well tomorrow, our Alero is being traded in on a 2004 Pontiac Montana Sport. With a growing family we needed the room. Took a small hit on the Alero trade in value but the big incentives on the Montana made up for it and then some.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
One time @ band camp I stuck Olds Intrigue in my...... :mf_boff:

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by casket_demon@Mar 8 2004, 11:09 PM
One time @ band camp I stuck Olds Intrigue in my...... :mf_boff:
Hmmm thats very Intriguing! :eatarrow:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Originally posted by dindak@Mar 9 2004, 02:21 AM

ab348 : Didn't know they had  rubber logo mats. Are they from your GM dealer?
Dindak: Yep, the rubber logo mats came from the dealer, out of GM's accessories catalog. Your choice of gray, tan or graphite (which is what I got).

Good luck with the Montana. Quite a different driving experience from the Alero I imagine.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Picked up the Montana this afternoon. It's pretty nice though it's no Intrigue (or Alero). Still, for the money it's a good value and it's sportier than almost any other van. Got a blue one with the sport package, power sliding door, traction control and roof rack.

The family grows so it had to be done eventually.

After my wife has the baby I will be back in the Intrigue fuill time. Ya!!

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
My Intrigue has got 115K km on the dial and going strong, except for front rotors.
I bought it at 50K km, and if it wasn’t for the winter (better cooling) I would have to replace front rotors at 95K, (rotors were worn when I bought the car, so I had the dealer install new set when I bought it).
I do highway driving mostly and still front rotors do not last long. Any pointers here, since dealer price is $193 CAN each, (and lasts 40K)? I am going for Canadian Tire ones, waaaaay cheaper, even if they do not last 40K.
:(

·
Registered
922 Posts
Originally posted by jhd@Apr 1 2004, 10:43 AM
My Intrigue has got 115K km on the dial and going strong, except for front rotors.
I bought it at 50K km, and if it wasn’t for the winter (better cooling) I would have to replace front rotors at 95K, (rotors were worn when I bought the car, so I had the dealer install new set when I bought it).
I do highway driving mostly and still front rotors do not last long. Any pointers here, since dealer price is $193 CAN each, (and lasts 40K)? I am going for Canadian Tire ones, waaaaay cheaper, even if they do not last 40K.
:(
Dont go to the dang dealer. I know not everyone is mechanicaly inclined, and thats fine, but in my opinion changing rotors is as easy as changing a tire. Find someone who knows what they are doing and watch them a couple times and you will be set. Check to see if they make any after market one that are drilled or slotted, they might last longer.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry for not making myself clear.
I am going there to buy rotors ($120/piece) not to make them changed.
They are way cheaper in C.T. ,even if they are not going to last 40K as dealer’s have.
I am going also to flush the system at the same time (my garage, not C.Tire).

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
My boyfriend had one for a while as an out of town car when he was working out of town most of the time. We both liked it a lot.

But let me illustrate why Oldsmobile died: he got it as a demonstrator with a couple thousand miles on it. He used some leftover GM Card benefits to pay for it. In the end, the car cost him less than ten grand.

And the funny thing is, that Intrigue made him into sort of an Oldsmobile loyalist. When he travels, he now uses Alamo rentals for one reason: because he can pretty dependably get a Alero, which he also likes a great deal.

How did they go so wrong? They managed to hook in a guy who buys expensive foreign cars. But they just couldn't execute their plan successfully.

Once again, let me suggest that when they build the last Olds, it should be buried with Roger Smith, still alive, at the wheel.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,

I recently had my 2001 Olds Intrigue with about 40,000 kms serviced at a local dealer here, and they discovered a leak which they narrowed down to a leaking balance shaft cover. After they replaced the gasket, the engine started misfiring on cylinders 1 and 2!! The car had been running perfectly fine before we brought it in for this service. They attributed it to carbon buildup preventing the intake valve from closing completely which they cleaned and reassembled.

Please bear with me since the the service report was 4 pages long.

This is what they did:

1. removed upper plenum, replaced balance shaft cover gasket
2. engine misfires on #1 and #2 Cylinders now
3. removed upper plenum again and checked seals (ok)
4. got some other mechanic involved in checking now
5. Cause: carbon buildup holding valves from closing completely
6. Carbon buildup on right cylinder intake valve - cleaned and reassembled.
7. Still misfiring on #1 and #2.
8. Inspected intake manifold for cracks (none visible)
9. Performed cylinder balance test and injector tests (all OK)
10. removed intake again and resealed again (still misfire on #1)
11. Checked plug #1 - WET
12. Swapped with plug #3 (still misfiring)
13. removed RH camshaft cover, found rocker arm out of place, lifted camshaft out of way and reinstalled ED. Rocker.
14. Rechecked compression (still no compression)
15. Removed valve keepers and moved valve up and down.
16. Reinstalled keeper and reassembled engine (has compression now).
17 Topped with coolant, started up, erased codes.
18. Road tested ok.
19. Reset Toe/Alignment after balance shaft gaskets resealed line - A (misaligned after engine repairs on previous lines)
20. 4 wheel alignment.
21. Repair power steering pump leaks (bearing found rough so replaced power steering pump).

Wow... ok I'm just wondering what the heck was going on? The car ran fine before they resealed the balance shaft cover. Did they drop and forget a wrench in the engine or something? I'm no mechanic, but that's the first time I've ever seen a car with only 40K clicks on her go that wrong. But get this - the car's engine light is now on constantly so we'll have to bring the car in AGAIN! We dropped it off for the reseal service, and they ended up needing the car for 2 days! Sigh... they said it was an emissions problem so they'll take another look.

What do you guys think? This sounds just a little out of the ordinary. I'm no mechanic, but just reading the service report sends some red flags up for me. I'm just glad the car's still just under warranty since it runs out in October.

We love the car (my mom also drives an Intrigue!), but yikes should we be going to another dealer for servicing?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
for sure they have no clue what they're doing.
good thing the car is still under warranty: go to another dealer.
It's impossible to have that much carbon buildup at only 40k km.

·
Registered
2 Posts
LOL yeah that was the impression I was getting, but we've been bringing this car to that dealer pretty much since the car was new and never had this much trouble. I'm just wondering if we should just bring it in for this last engine light check since they've done all this work already and know (?!) what they have already done. The GM dealership should have competent mechanics onboard right? In any case, I guess it's all documented, and I'm hoping they didn't actually create any damage to the engine. This kind of thing always makes you wonder what the heck is going on. They wouldn't just be trying to milk GM for some warranty service money since they know the car is getting close to the end of the warranty right?

I just don't understand why all these problems should be cropping up after a simple balance shaft cover resealing. Don't you just remove a cover, remove the old gasket, and reseal the works up?

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Bizarre that you needed all that stuff done.

I have finally found a good dealer that seem to know what they are doing. My Intrigue had a couple of issues before the warranty ran out over a year ago and it's been purring like a kitten ever since.

Now it's getting to the point where some parts may need to be repalced. I'm thinking the brake pads could go any time and I likely need a new cabin air filter and an air filter. I want to keep the car for another 5 years if I can.

·
Registered
4,663 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
All has been quiet here so I thought I would post.

My Intrigue is now 4 1/2 years old. Still love it though it has a rattle of some kind in the back as a result of being rear ended in the spring. I will take it to the body shop where it was fixed next week to see if they can fix it.

Car has been good otherwise, still running smooth. Need new tires soon though, anyone know of some good values as replacements??

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I'm also a refugee from the other forum. I see a few familiar names..

I have a 2000 Olds Intrigue. I bought it for $3,500 with 109k on it. I have 127,000 miles on it now and all I've replaced was a lower control arm. It is a great looking car in and out. I do have the same issues that other Intrigue owners have like flicking headlights, security light issue, clunking ISS (that was fixed for $65.00).. I'm very happy with it. It's a joy to drive, especially on the highway. It's a shame that GM no longer makes Oldsmobiles.. The Intrigue was the most promising car to come out of GM in a long time..

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Originally posted by Taycron@Aug 25 2004, 03:17 PM
It is a great looking car in and out. I do have the same issues that other Intrigue owners have like flicking headlights, security light issue, clunking ISS (that was fixed for $65.00)..
I'm having a mental block - a clunking ISS? What is this and what were the symptoms? My Intrigue ('98, 119K) has a bad clunk/rattle from the right rear which I had written off as worn out strut bushings.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I hope this post works. The last one didn't go through.

The ISS is the "Intermediate Steering Shaft". It's a common problem in the Intrigue. Owners hear and feel a clunking sensation when they turn the steering wheel. I had my ISS lubed at a dealership and it fixed the problem. I don't know if the problem will come back, but if it does I will just get the ISS lubed again..

1 - 20 of 29 Posts