GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
BUMP

I wonder if many of the Olds diesel-powered vehicles became extinct because of the THM200/C (1:1 direct-drive) transmission that was often used behind them (rather than the THM350)? I know the original THM200/C just might have weakened many of the original 5.7-liter diesels.

~Ben
The THM 200 Stamped "Metric" were trouble.

Sorry for Hijacking a Diesel thread, But my Bother Inlam had a 79 Cutlass Supremme, and I had a 78 Monte Carlo. He had numerous problems with his TH200 Metric, I luckly had a TH350. Never had any issues.

The TH350 was 5 times the tranny of the TH200, and a direct Bolt Up. The Old's and Monte, both had only 305's But he had to rebuild his tranny twice, mine never. I had more miles, and harder miles.

But I remeber Metric stamped on the pan meant trouble!

Find a TH350 is good, A TH400 is a great, But most have been used up at the Local track.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Still have one. Still the same diesel that came with it when it was new from the factory, so is all the paint.
Wow, its gorgeous! Love the color and everything. Congrats, RIP Olds. Picked up a clapped out '86 V8 Cultass Supreme Brougham (with the gas 307) for my brother about 20 years ago, miss that car. That body Cutlass was my favorite G body, wish I could get a new one today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I recall working on a '79 Salon with the 4.3 V8D and a manual 5 speed trans, it also had the 442 package, brown with gold striping. I imagine it was a one of one car. The customer brought it in complaining that it would not climb over the speed bump in his apartment complex unless he had a running start. I NPF'd the car. Now there was a true collectable for those wanting a low production model.
There never was a 442 option in '79, nor was there ever a 442 offered in brown for the A/G body. Also the diesel was never offered in a 442, ever.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I guess this is a little old, but thought I'd share my experience.. I had an 83 Olds Ciera with the LT6 back in 1992. It was white with burgundy leather interior, digital dash a real looker.. The brutal Ohio winters didn't mean much with that heavy diesel engine and front wheel drive, other than starting it. I would fill up the tank and cruise the country with friends all the time.. Always got around 450 miles to a tank with her. She was very peppy to 60, prayed to pass another car however. One day she acted like she had a ton more horsepower and when I shut her off.. Would never restart. I looked everywhere for another engine, since the sound she was making when turning over sounded like the timing chain tensioner broke and I had a gut feeling I bent some valves.. I ended up junking her in the end, worse decision I made.. Miss this car even till today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Does anyone remember Darrel R. Sand? He was the designer of the LF9 engine.

He is mentioned in a 1983 New York Times article about the legendary failure of his work. He recommended GM not put the engine in production back in 1977, saying he hadn't finished it yet and in his words GM ignored him. He remarked that the engine "couldn't hold up, it was a hastily converted gasoline engine with a fuel pump designed for heavy trucks." He earlier pointed out about the failures we all know such as broken crankshafts, blocks, leaking head gaskets and fuel pump problems. He stepped down in 1980 after GM accused him over the fuss about the diesel. But his claim of it being a "hastily converted gasoline engine" doesn't fully hold water.
Link: http://www.nytimes.com/1983/03/27/b...decision.html?pagewanted=all&pagewanted=print

~Ben

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
^^ wow, can you imagine paying $20 000 for a '79 Seville? It's 70 k with inflation today (!)
No wonder they were pissed.

The diesel, however, has a short, but controversial history. In 1979 and early 1980, G.M. couldn't sell its new diesels in California because test cars kept breaking down during state-run emissions tests. Thomas C. Austin, who directed the state's Air Resources Board at the time, said that seven of G.M.'s nine test vehicles had transmission failures and all nine had engine problems. Mr. Austin, now a consultant to Consumers Against G.M., said the number of problems were ''extraordinary.''
OMG LOL :lmao:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys,
I apologize if there is a better place to post this, if so please let me know.
So I am helping a friend repair a Generac diesel generator that we have found is using a 1982 Oldsmobile 4.3L V6 that is shot (Looks like a a cracked block from freezing so the internals are all rusted out) we would like t to find a replacement that is running so that we can swap it.
Please let me know if anyone knows where I can find one.
Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I know this is a older thread to be posting to, I still own and drive several GM diesel cars. 1981 Olds cutlass 5.7 diesel, 1981 Olds 98 regency 5.7 diesel, 1981 Olds 98 regency 5.7 diesel, 1981 Pontiac bonneville 5.7 diesel, 1982 Olds 98 regency 5.7 1982 Olds 98 regency 5.7 diesel, 1982 Olds 98 regency brougham 5.7 diesel, 1982 Buick park avenue 5.7 diesel, 1984 Olds cutlass ciera 4.3 diesel. I am also in the process of installing a 5.7 diesel in a 1995 Chevy s10.

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
I know this is a older thread to be posting to, I still own and drive several GM diesel cars. 1981 Olds cutlass 5.7 diesel, 1981 Olds 98 regency 5.7 diesel, 1981 Olds 98 regency 5.7 diesel, 1981 Pontiac bonneville 5.7 diesel, 1982 Olds 98 regency 5.7 1982 Olds 98 regency 5.7 diesel, 1982 Olds 98 regency brougham 5.7 diesel, 1982 Buick park avenue 5.7 diesel, 1984 Olds cutlass ciera 4.3 diesel. I am also in the process of installing a 5.7 diesel in a 1995 Chevy s10.
I had an Old Farmer, that would buy up every Used Diesel car I took in. He drove the wheels off of the things. But, he drove them like a Grandma going to church. Soft, Slow, and Low RPM's. Like a Diesel is meant to be used.

He loved them late 70's-81 Bonnevilles

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just purchased a 1985 Olds 98 4.3 V6 diesel, front drive. 1st year chassis, last year for the Olds diesel. I've been toodling around town with it, the rad is badly stress cracked, but not leaking, so until I install a new Asian one from eBay, it won't go far from home.

I found an old ad online from a dealer in Iowa, I bot it from near Cleveland. I don't know anything about it's past. Mileage shows 052,xxx, it's def much more...

Attachments

·
Banned
400 Posts
Olds diesels get a bad rep because of greatly exaggerated claims and in reality are quite reliable with normal maintenance just like Cadillac's V8-6-4.

I just purchased a 1985 Olds 98 4.3 V6 diesel, front drive. 1st year chassis, last year for the Olds diesel. I've been toodling around town with it, the rad is badly stress cracked, but not leaking, so until I install a new Asian one from eBay, it won't go far from home.

I found an old ad online from a dealer in Iowa, I bot it from near Cleveland. I don't know anything about it's past. Mileage shows 052,xxx, it's def much more...
What a beauty and a true future classic congrats!

·
Registered
3,045 Posts
Olds diesels get a bad rep because of greatly exaggerated claims and in reality are quite reliable with normal maintenance just like Cadillac's V8-6-4.

!
Yep, they should still be around today! Might have saved GM in 2009.

Were you even around in the 80's? I might argue that the Resulting 6.2L diesel, was an OK engine (until the 6.5L Electronic Stanadyne Pump), weak but OK. But both the 8-6-4 and 5.7L diesel should have never been born.

·
Registered
2015 Cadillac XTS Platinum, 1989 Merkur XR4Ti, 1989 Merkur Scorpio
11,707 Posts
I drove one of those that was actually working... I believe it was 1984.
The change in the number of cylinders operating was imperceptible.
IIRC, the only sign that was something was going on was a display on the digital dash.

It was in a beautiful white Eldo with red leather.
If I knew what I know now, I would bought it... disabling 8-6-4 is very, very simple.
Then you have an iron block 368.

41 - 60 of 69 Posts