GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
What exact issues did they have with the crank shafts on the LT7? What models and other engines did it apply to? I have heard the V8's were crap but the 4.3 6 cylinders were okay other than the transmissions.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I also heard that a lot of the issues with the diesels during that era were caused by watered down fuel....Has to be some validity to it because there is a light on the cluster that tells you when you get watery fuel.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I think by the time you figure out plugging the brake master you could just fix the brake lines properly...

water in fuel is not really a problem, the diesel fuel tends to accumulate water more than gasoline, but if you buy fuel from the fuel station it isn't so much issue unless it is not maintained...

what the hell are you looking at OBD for there is no computer, it is a diesel from 1983 :lmao: It sounds like... hey, this Victrola gramaphone is nice but how do we access itunes :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I guess you weren't listening very well I have this issue with my children too, "issues with diesels during that ERA( Google it if you don't know what that means) were caused by water"

I guess I could just run to an auto parts store and ask for a rare seal for the rear drum cylinder for a 30 year old car and they will just whip one out of there ass, if only I had thought of that...

It has an OBD port which means it has a on board diagnostic system, why the hell wouldn't I use it?

If you have nothing to say that helps me with my problems you need not reply! Ignorance is fixable stupidity is eternal!

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
I guess you weren't listening very well I have this issue with my children too, "issues with diesels during that ERA( Google it if you don't know what that means) were caused by water"

I guess I could just run to an auto parts store and ask for a rare seal for the rear drum cylinder for a 30 year old car and they will just whip one out of there ass, if only I had thought of that...

It has an OBD port which means it has a on board diagnostic system, why the hell wouldn't I use it?

If you have nothing to say that helps me with my problems you need not reply! Ignorance is fixable stupidity is eternal!
You have no idea of what you have or what you are doing, but ask question. When answer received, you insult. Strange logic. I really like the "drive with no brakes" because too cheap for the $5 wheel cylinder.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
10 Posts
You have no idea of what you have or what you are doing, but ask question. When answer received, you insult. Strange logic. I really like the "drive with no brakes" because too cheap for the $5 wheel cylinder.
Got links for that part? What is your source? thought so!!! People just can't whip a 30 year old car part out of there ass, try pulling your head out of yours and you would realize this.

If you had any idea what the hell you were talking about you would know the drum brakes on the back don't do **** for stopping you anyway, what they are doing is preventing the front DISK brakes from building up pressure because they are leaking.

·
Registered
2,571 Posts
Ted Kaczinski, is that you?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
EVIL..................A quality made in USA Wagner or Bendix rear drum brake wheel cylinder is about $25 bucks. Vato zone and other places sell the china specials for around $20.

They are not rare and avail. at almost any parts house because GM used them for years on many different models. I just replaced one in my 84 Z-28.

To check for codes and you should have a OBD connector since its a 83.................

For OBD 1 codes and how to access them with a paper clip read here:
http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/GM OBD1 Decoder.htm

·
Registered
10 Posts
EVIL..................A quality made in USA Wagner or Bendix rear drum brake wheel cylinder is about $25 bucks. Vato zone and other places sell the china specials for around $20.

They are not rare and avail. at almost any parts house because GM used them for years on many different models. I just replaced one in my 84 Z-28.

To check for codes and you should have a OBD connector since its a 83.................

For OBD 1 codes and how to access them with a paper clip read here:
http://www.extreme-check-engine-light-codes.com/GM OBD1 Decoder.htm
Hey thanks for the info on the drum brake cylinder, there are a lot of different models for bendix and wagner any idea of the specific SKU # of the one that would fit the Ciera? I was able to scrounge up enough parts to cap the one bad rear cylinder so I am able to get on the road with it as of now. The auto parts stores within my county(and adjacent ones) don't have them or can't get them because they stopped supporting these cars years ago. They can't even get me a fuel filter but I found a different online source for that anyway. As previously stated I have no service engine soon light so the paper clip check is out of the question, and you have to have that specific cars year port in order to use a port scanner, now that I am on the road I will be able to hit up some of the auto part stores to see if any of them do, however unlikely.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I wonder if it would make sense for Cadillac to try to procure BMW diesels for Cadillac's next expansion into Europe or to perhaps utilize the Maserati Ghibli VM Motori 3.0 Diesel.
I was expecting (and hoping) GM would take the V6 diesel from PSA since PSA stopped the engine partnership with Ford after the deal with GM. Mind you that V6 diesel has already been used in the Jaguar, so it is powerful and refined enough to propel a Cadillac I would say. I do expect further refinements to make it at least as smooth as a BMW diesel.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At any rate I just finished up tearing down my roosa pump and rebuilding it, does any one know what model DB4 these have on them? I adjusted the timing a little on the pump and BOOM she is back to business as usual, runs great. It still doesn't seem to have very much torque considering she is a diesel, she runs good as hell though. I am still having trouble with the trans going into 3rd gear any suggestions? Now my brakes are in good shape I figured out the problem with them was my wife...was helping me bleed them so after capping the rear she screwed up the bleeding of the front, I put her on the wrench and me on the pedal and all is great on the brakes now. I will be burning veggie oil in no time. For whatever reason I really love this car, it could rival any damned Cadillac made today in ride comfort. There is just something about it that I just love even with all it's twerks, haven't been able to figure it out yet but I love this car, leaky roof and all, ****ed those today too and will work on the radio tomorrow, will be in heaven when I can listen to it while cruising. Had a set back with the battery today will have to figure out that one, doesn't seem to want to hold a charge once I get it running I will have to make sure it is charging.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The majority of those are reserved for 5.7 ltr 350 engines, mine is a 4.3 6 banger not sure if they used the same trans? and I also just discovered you have to pay to search there......You can try it free for 3 months they say!!!....What a joke.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 · (Edited)
The majority of those are reserved for 5.7 ltr 350 engines, mine is a 4.3 6 banger not sure if they used the same trans? and I also just discovered you have to pay to search there......You can try it free for 3 months they say!!!....What a joke.
TRANSMISSION APPLICATIONS (PLEASE CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG)

5.7L (LF9)
TH200C = 1980-1985
TH350 = 1978-1979
TH350C = 1980-1982
TH200-4R = 1983-1985
TH325 = 1979-1981 Toronado, Eldorado and Riviera; and 1980-1981 Seville
TH325-4L = 1982-1985 Toronado, Eldorado, Riviera and Seville

4.3L (LT6)
TH200C = 1982-1985

4.3L (LT7, LS2)
TH125C = 1982-1985

For the LF9, only the TH350/C or TH200-4R (the latter with overdriven 4th) transmissions are worth going for. Most cars other than the big wagons and the E-bodies (Toronado, Eldorado, Riviera and Seville) used the TH200C (direct-drive) behind the 5.7L after 1980, which I would avoid getting.

~Ben

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
BUMP

I wonder if many of the Olds diesel-powered vehicles became extinct because of the THM200/C (1:1 direct-drive) transmission that was often used behind them (rather than the THM350)? I know the original THM200/C just might have weakened many of the original 5.7-liter diesels.

~Ben

21 - 40 of 69 Posts