GM Inside News Forum banner

Oldsmobile dealers ready to bury oldest auto brand

3K views 29 replies 20 participants last post by  ragingfish 
#1 ·
Oldsmobile dealers ready to bury nation's oldest auto brand
By John Porretto / AP Auto Writer

LAS VEGAS -- No one’s wearing a sandwich board with an ominous message, but for hundreds of Oldsmobile dealers attending their industry’s annual convention, there’s no denying reality: The end is near.

“It’s time to get on with the burial,” said Gary Wight, who has sold Oldsmobiles, the oldest automotive brand name in U.S. history, for 30 years. “It’s sad and it’s done and it’s not going to change. Oldsmobile is a wonderful memory, but there’s nothing in the windshield. It’s all in the rearview mirror.”

General Motors Corp. announced in December 2000 it would end production of the struggling Oldsmobile line with the 2004 model year. The company already has stopped making the Intrigue, Aurora and, in the past week, the Bravada sport utility vehicle. That leaves only two models -- the Alero passenger car and Silhouette minivan.

Darwin Clark, GM’s vice president of industry-dealer affairs, said a final date to end production has not been set, but business likely will continue through part of 2005.

more...

See less See more
Discussion starter · #3 ·
Darwin Clark, GM’s vice president of industry-dealer affairs, said a final date to end production has not been set, but business likely will continue through part of 2005.
:huh: Huh? Does that mean there will be '05 Oldsmobiles? I thought '04 was the end of the line.

Some commentary...

When it comes to the end of Oldsmobile, there are those in the "Well, finally!" column and those in the "Say it isn't so!" column. I officially fall into the latter, (which means that I am very unhappy with demise of Oldsmobile, not that I fall into ladders).

Oldsmobile was just--just--hitting its stride when GM announced that it was getting the axe. The line of Oldsmobiles that included the Alero, Intrigue, Aurora, Bravada, and Silhoette was, IMO, one of the most promising and certainly the most consistent line GM had to offer in its day. The V8 Aurora is one of my favorite modern GM cars, period.

I think Wagoner and Co. might have jumped the gun. Had GM not announced the end of Oldsmobile and allowed the new product line to realize its potential, Oldsmobile would likely have been able to not only sustain itself and turn a nice profit, but would have also had the potential of becoming a real import fighter among mid-range imports. Something that Buick doesn't look poised to accomplish.

Most importantly--although perhaps least practically--the end of this great marque wouldn't have come so tragically and pathetically.

There is no "blaze of glory" exit for Oldsmobile. Rather, we are constantly reminded that GM is killing America's oldest auto brand because it's such a loser. This is further exacerbated by indignities like being reduced to basically a fleet brand, dismal sales, and lawsuits by Olds dealers.

Now, it's too late. The wad was shot when the announcement to kill Oldsmobile was made. Even if GM was interested in keeping or reviving the name to take advantage of its huge name recognition, they have infused it forever with the image of a loser.

Oldsmobile, meet Studebaker. <_<

Discussion starter · #12 ·
Originally posted by markform@Feb 2 2004, 03:07 PM
What happened?  I think new customers stopped coming into the brand because Olds dropped the ball with the Cutlass.  Back in the 70's the Cutlass was the #1 car for 30 somethings.  The reason was simple - it's a stylish, powerful car that was reasonably affordable.  Olds grew, because these buyers either bought another Cutlass, or moved up to 88/98/Toronado.  For several years, Cutlass was THE #1 most popular car - sold more than any Ford or Chevy.
My dad had an '83 Cutlass when I was growing up (and later, an '88 Ninety-Eight Regency that was the one of the nicest cars I'd ever ridden in up to that time).

He let me use his Cutlass on a date one time, and I still remember thinking I was all that. It was such a nice car.

That '83 Cutlass was a far, FAR, cry from the Malibu-based atrocity that passed for a Cutlass after '97. Very sad.

You talk about dropping the ball, they threw it down. In fact, this particular ball was thrown down with such great force that it penetrated six feet under. (<= That's supposed to be a clever analogy of the death of Oldsmobile. I think I deserve a prize.) :rolleyes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.