GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i decided to change my own oil on my Grand Prix. No problem right? Wrong. Seems Jiffy Lube did not use a standard oil filter and it is very stuck. I tried two oil wrenchs, and then tried to get it loose by sticking a screwdriver in there. No go. Now the filter is rippied open so I can't even drive it anywhere.

Any suggestions for how to fix this?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Hmm...try some Channel Lock pliers on it

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
If they didn't force a filter with the wrong threads on (hopefully not) and it isn't too damaged, sometimes smacking it with a hammer near the base where it's stronger will jar it loose enough to allow removal.

If that fails, use a chisel and hammer and smack it in the direction of removal in several different spots if you can manage to get to it alright. You have to be very careful not to damage the mounting surface when resorting to this extreme measure, but at some point, it will give up. Even if you have to rip the can off the filter and hit the mounting base, it will work.

I won't even ask if you're turning it in the correct direction.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
You tried a filter wrench, then a different filter wrench, and then a screwdriver, that's probably one more step before screwdriver than I would have taken. I agree with the hammer and chisel idea. I use a Fram filter with the textured coating and I only hand tighten it. You can get it pretty tight just by hand.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Haha, I've done that one before.:D The screwdriver was where I went wrong too. Good luck to ya, thats all good advice thats been said.

P.S. I used to work at jiffy lube, over 1,000 filters changed. No filter I can't beat now.:D

·
Premium Member
2,431 Posts
I bet it is cross-threaded.
If you have room, channel locks, or beat the metal down till you can grab it with some vise grips. If you have tons of room, try driving the base of the filter with a chisel or screw driver. It is folded over there so the metal is thicker. Double check the mounting threads when you get the filter off, I bet the adapter is shot. Once your done with this mess, take it back to the Jiffy Lube on a busy Saturday and set it on their counter.

Don't feel too bad, the factory filter on our '07 Grand Cherokee took 70 lbs ft to spin off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had a similar experience years ago on a friends car. Like you the filter was completely ripped away and only the mounting flange was stuck on the block. First choice would have been the "BigAZZ" pliers but I didnt have them with me soooo looking around the junk box I found a long U-Bolt with small diameter shafts. It was small enough to place into the holes in the filter flange and then I used a screwdriver to turn the u-bolt and it finally gave way. This was on a 84 Firebird with a 305.

·
Registered
254 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Maybe he died from exhaustion and shame?

Haha, I just rememberd my first time changing the oil and filter on my firebird. I gave up and took a nap under the car. I must have needed it because when I woke up I was able to losen the filter.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
maybe dav resorted to swapping out the motor...time for the Gen V M90 anyway

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I eventually had to have it towed to the mechanics next door - how embarrassing. Fortunately my insurance covered the towing, and the mechanics were happy with a tip.

This time I have an AC Delco filter lubed and hand tightened. I'm NEVER going to Jiffy Lube again.

·
Registered
4,056 Posts
The threads on the filter and adapter plate are pretty coarse. It is very hard to cross thread such a coarse thread. The filter is basically held on by the compressive force of the squeezed rubber ring which acts against the thread lead and the adapter plate's surface. The thickness of the filter's can is decreasing every year to save money. Therefore, any over tightening of the filter (I always lube the rubber ring before installing the filter) leads to big removal problems since the can buckles under the slightest torque. After ripping off the can and filter element, the only thing to do is attack the rubber ring. Good luck since these new cars (trucks not so bad) usually bury filters above the K- members.

The price is about equal and I make time to get to the dealership (Chevy for my Monte and Dodge for my Grand Caravan) and never had a problem. Before, with jiffy Lube, I had 6 quarts in my Caravan (holds 4 w/filter) and returned on another occasion because the tech closed the hood and left his fender apron on the car. 2 Tries, 2 failures--not good.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Last time I remember my parents using Jiffy Lube was when we took a cross country trip. While we were about 1800 miles away we had the oil changed, it was fine and dandy until we got back and changed the oil a few months later. Apparently the dude used a air wrench to tighten the oil drain bolt. Well the bolt was stripped beyond usefulness. So a new bolt and oil pan later on our dime and it is ok.
Lesson is don't ever use those "fast lube" places and double check the work if you have to before leaving.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
The threads on the filter and adapter plate are pretty coarse. It is very hard to cross thread such a coarse thread. The filter is basically held on by the compressive force of the squeezed rubber ring which acts against the thread lead and the adapter plate's surface. The thickness of the filter's can is decreasing every year to save money. Therefore, any over tightening of the filter (I always lube the rubber ring before installing the filter) leads to big removal problems since the can buckles under the slightest torque. After ripping off the can and filter element, the only thing to do is attack the rubber ring. Good luck since these new cars (trucks not so bad) usually bury filters above the K- members.

The price is about equal and I make time to get to the dealership (Chevy for my Monte and Dodge for my Grand Caravan) and never had a problem. Before, with jiffy Lube, I had 6 quarts in my Caravan (holds 4 w/filter) and returned on another occasion because the tech closed the hood and left his fender apron on the car. 2 Tries, 2 failures--not good.
I guess that is why everyone is moving away from spin-on oil filter and putting canister-type oil filter. It is strange, in the 1950's they first started putting oil filter (canister) then in 60's they started putting spin-on type "because easier". Except Mercedes who always had canister type. Now everyone is going back to the old "expensive" canister type, apparently because it is less wasteful of metal.

Canister does have major advantage that the part you "screw" is pretty beefy, hard to **** that up. Plus you get to take a nice look at the filter element when new and when used.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.