GM Inside News Forum banner

21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I forgot about the thermostat gasket , I replaced mine too and was glad it was the thermostat gasket because I was freaking out thinking it was the intake gasket , my parking brake works like a dream thankfully , especially since my driveway is a hill :eek:

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
After getting raped by Nissan for what amounted to a slow opening thermostat, I'm never going to respond to the emissions systems warning light going off. As long as the car is still running well, I keep on keeping on.
I would do that now except we have emissions tests here at yearly inspection and I'm planning on selling the truck.

·
Registered
385 Posts
But the average consumer doesn't see past the fact that GM has no real solution to the problem, and when you tell them you should go outside of GM to get it fixed (commercial HVAC service centers) they'll more than likely just go outside of GM for the whole car next time.
A good Service Advisor would get the problem fixed by subletting it out, keeping the customer at the dealer.

But yeah, the issue should have been solved long ago.

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
I didn't say the temp was fine at the time, I was explaing the path things take further down the road.
Oh, I know. I was saying that I watch the gauges, so I'm pretty aware of trouble when it strikes. Even if brain dead, there's a big ole overheat warning light that would come on.

Sounds like you have a specific dealer problem. I wouldn't say it reflects Nissan Corporate or other Nissan Dealers.
You're right, but since that's the dealer that I and the locals are stuck with, I tell folks to avoid Nissans. My sister almost bought a Murano until I told her about the BS the local dealer threw out (they also tried to convince me I needed 1200 (yes, really) dollars worth of tires, when the tires were less than a month old).

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
GM does this all of the time... Err I hope it was "old GM" did this all of the time... Lets see if new GM does the same.

How long did it take Old GM to fix the head bolts on NorthStar engines? over 12 YEARS. How long did it take Old GM to fix the crank sensors on Caddy's? 4 YEARS. How long to resolve the timing Chain problems on the 3.6L? 6 Years~!

GM (at least they used to) just seemingly muddled along flinging out know issues in the hopes that most people didn't notice...

What to see what a proactive company does? Take Toyota... after one of the worst years in their history for Safety recalls does Toyota just roll over and die... Nah... they are now the "new Volvo" adding a bunch of new safety features to ALL of their cars and actually running ad campains as to what they have changed how safe they are.

I would love to see an ad campain from the General that SPECIFICALLY talks about what they are doing to eliminate known problems in their cars.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
What to see what a proactive company does? Take Toyota... after one of the worst years in their history for Safety recalls does Toyota just roll over and die... Nah... they are now the "new Volvo" adding a bunch of new safety features to ALL of their cars and actually running ad campains as to what they have changed how safe they are.
"New Volvo"? Does anyone actually think that?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
YEP... they finally implemented safety measures other manufactures have had around since the 1990s in their vehicles.....

still the same old smoke and mirrors from toyota.... people just fall for it is all... and all this new saftey stuff and they still cant get some of their vehicles to pass even, and barely any get 5 stars all around. actually I dont think any do....

and what safety measures did they take for the massive rust recalls on their trucks... tell people to only drive in dry warm weather.... really. :lmao:

·
Registered
8,904 Posts
"New Volvo"? Does anyone actually think that?
YEP... they finally implemented safety measures other manufactures have had around since the 1990s in their vehicles.....

still the same old smoke and mirrors from toyota.... people just fall for it is all... and all this new saftey stuff and they still cant get some of their vehicles to pass even, and barely any get 5 stars all around. actually I dont think any do....

and what safety measures did they take for the massive rust recalls on their trucks... tell people to only drive in dry warm weather.... really. :lmao:
No arguement that it is all likely smoke and mirrors... And the Toyota cars are just as safe (or unsafe depending on your POV) as they were before...

But when have we ever seen GM taken the iniative on anything? OK to be fair, they took the leadership with customer serivce with Saturn and then let that die. They took the initative with over the top trucks with Hummer and then drove that into the ground.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
But when have we ever seen GM taken the iniative on anything?
How about:
3/4 and 1-ton diesels that can out-tow and out-brake the competition.
The return of American manufacturing of compact cars.
The most popular V-8 engine in world.
The Corvette, especially the Z07 and ZR-1
The CTS-V
The Volt

I can see wanting GM to do more, but to ignore their past and current accomplishments is just pathetic.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Actually, GM has taken the initiative on a lot more than that, but, 99% there is no interest from the public from the prototypes and showcars that have said initiative, so, they never produce it.

Now, don't get me wrong, the EV1 is certainly a counter-argument for that, too.

Did any of you know GM had a 700 horsepower 3 rotor, rotary engine in a prototype Corvette in 1973 (before Mazda was really that into rotaries)?

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Did any of you know GM had a 700 horsepower 3 rotor, rotary engine in a prototype Corvette in 1973 (before Mazda was really that into rotaries)?
Then fuel economy became a concern and GM said goodbye to rotary engines that like to shotgun gasoline by the gallon.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Then fuel economy became a concern and GM said goodbye to rotary engines that like to shotgun gasoline by the gallon.
And today a Mazda 2 rotor 1.3L motor gets worse fuel economy than a 7.0L v8, and has a harder time with emissions, too!

(family owned more Rx-7's than I can remember)

·
Registered
3,012 Posts
No arguement that it is all likely smoke and mirrors... And the Toyota cars are just as safe (or unsafe depending on your POV) as they were before...

But when have we ever seen GM taken the iniative on anything? OK to be fair, they took the leadership with customer serivce with Saturn and then let that die. They took the initative with over the top trucks with Hummer and then drove that into the ground.
Honestly, I think GM has taken a serious initiative on safety. It seems like every month another GM vehicle is a top safety pick. They just don't have a silly name like "Star Safety System" or whatever Toyota is calling it. I feel that is a blunder on GM's part. Come up with some hokey, feel-good name to call it and market the heck out of it. While shopping for a new car late last year, I had no reservations about buying a Cruze, Malibu, or Equinox because they all come with advanced safety features standard and all earned top safety picks.

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
Actually, GM has taken the initiative on a lot more than that, but, 99% there is no interest from the public from the prototypes and showcars that have said initiative, so, they never produce it.

Now, don't get me wrong, the EV1 is certainly a counter-argument for that, too.

Speaking of initiative, having Mazda release five platforms of rotary-engined volume production cars (R100, R130, RX2, RX3, RX4) within a five year period 1968~1972, including FWD and in a range of bodystyles (sedan, coupe, wagon, pillarless hardtop) - plus their exotic Cosmo 110 sports car - tells me Mazda really was "that" into rotaries pre-1973 ... moreso than in any period since!

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Well I'm suffering from another "common" problem today, GM's PASS-Key system. Last night the PASS KEY light was lit while driving and today on it's third start the light started blinking and killed the starter.

So while it sits in the street in front of my neighbor's house (I'm lucky that it happened there and not while out somewhere else) I've got to replace the ignition lock cylinder, get some new keys made and hope like hell that fixes it.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Speaking of initiative, having Mazda release five platforms of rotary-engined volume production cars (R100, R130, RX2, RX3, RX4) within a five year period 1968~1972, including FWD and in a range of bodystyles (sedan, coupe, wagon, pillarless hardtop) - plus their exotic Cosmo 110 sports car - tells me Mazda really was "that" into rotaries pre-1973 ... moreso than in any period since!
Lots of models, but no volume, and they were Japanese Domestic only. The Rx-7 outsold all of these combined by a long shot, yet, it's still a low volume product.

·
Registered
4,125 Posts
Well I'm suffering from another "common" problem today, GM's PASS-Key system. Last night the PASS KEY light was lit while driving and today on it's third start the light started blinking and killed the starter.

So while it sits in the street in front of my neighbor's house (I'm lucky that it happened there and not while out somewhere else) I've got to replace the ignition lock cylinder, get some new keys made and hope like hell that fixes it.
I'm guessing on the Roadmaster? If so I'd strongly recommend visiting some B-body specific forums & search how to bypass it entirely. Don't know if its the same as on my third gens, but IIRC it was a fairly simple bypass, no parts to buy.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
I had to replace it on my 2004 Silverado a few years ago. AND it wasn't covered under the extended warranty (does not include emission equipment). Cost me over $500 and that was with the employee discount. I pretty much always just fill until the click then stop, but I don't know what the previous owner did.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter #40 (Edited)
I'm guessing on the Roadmaster? If so I'd strongly recommend visiting some B-body specific forums & search how to bypass it entirely. Don't know if its the same as on my third gens, but IIRC it was a fairly simple bypass, no parts to buy.
Yep, the ol' 'Master. The bypass is easy, just get some resistors and bridge the VATS wires, but I wanted to keep it operational, so I bought a new cylinder from O'Reilly and got a couple of keys made at Ace hardware. Total cost was just under $80 and now it works like new.

I had to replace it on my 2004 Silverado a few years ago. AND it wasn't covered under the extended warranty (does not include emission equipment). Cost me over $500 and that was with the employee discount. I pretty much always just fill until the click then stop, but I don't know what the previous owner did.
The dealer quoted me $475, but I'm just going to get the part for $100 and do it myself.

21 - 40 of 45 Posts