GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
"Robert Kearns takes on the Detroit automakers who he claims stole his idea for the intermittent windshield wiper."

Damn our evil automakers. They must die!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
"Robert Kearns takes on the Detroit automakers who he claims stole his idea for the intermittent windshield wiper."

Damn our evil automakers. They must die!
Beat you by one minute. :p:

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Dang, I thought that the fat slob, Michael Moore had something to do with it! Isn't it time for a human bedsore like him to have a major health issue? Oh wait, he'd blame it on someone else, not his poor eating habits!

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
I'm looking forward to the movie. If it's true, then Ford should be ashamed of themselves. They didn't need to pretend that they invented it. They could have been pioneers in having the foresight to be the first car company to acknowledge the benefits of the invention.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts
Isn't this a true story?

Not sure if it was the same guy, but there was a man who sued all of the automakers for stealing his invention. I think he eventually got settlements from Chrysler and Mercedes-Benz.

I seem to recall reading either a story about the settlement, or his obit. He took his invention to someone, perhaps GM, and they actually thought it was some sort of trick (how times have changed). They didn't pay much attention to him, but later came out with intermittent wipers.

·
Registered
7,172 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
Kearns did invent the intermittant wiper. He sued and eventually won against Ford and Chrysler. Unfortunately he got carried away and spent most or all of his settlement money trying to sue GM and the foreign auto makers. He got 10.2 million from Ford and 18 million from Chrysler.

He died in a nursing home of cancer, but he also had altzheimers.

Kearns could have taken his two settlements and enjoyed life, but I guess he felt he had to chase windmills to be happy.

·
Registered
5,174 Posts
From Wikipedia:
Robert W. Kearns (10 March 1927 – 9 February 2005) was the independent inventor of the intermittent windshield wiper systems used on most vehicles from 1969 to the present.

Dr. Kearns's claim to fame was winning one of the most well-known patent cases against a major corporation—in his case, Ford and Chrysler. He invented and patented the intermittent windshield wiper mechanism for use in light rain or mist and tried to interest the big auto makers in it. They all rejected his idea, and then some auto makers proceeded to install intermittent wipers in their cars beginning in 1969. He had received his patents in 1967. He started legal actions against Ford in 1978 and Chrysler in 1982. By 1995, after many court battles reaching to the Supreme Court, he had received approximately US$30 million in compensation for their non-deliberate patent infringement.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kearns

Some other interesting items concerning Robert Kearns:

" After 12 years of litigation, Ford finally offered to pay Kearns millions of dollars to settle the case. His attorney at the time, William Durkee of Houston, estimated Kearns could have received at least $50 million from Ford and comparable amounts from other carmakers. Kearns refused the offer"

"When he missed deadlines for filing papers in his cases against General Motors Corp. and German and Japanese auto companies, U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn, who presided over all of Kearns's trials in Detroit, dismissed the remaining cases."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A54564-2005Feb25.html

A sad story

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
But mine has a video. I win.

Are you watching Fox too?
Yes, I was watching Fox News. You win.

Oh look, another Hollywood produced kick in the nuts for the EVIL domestic auto industry.....

I wonder when that "Toyota Works Head Engineer of the Prius to Death" film is coming out.... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
What? an American auto manufacturer that screwed a Joe Blow? IMPOSSIBLE!

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
Tucker, Erin Brockovich, China Syndrome, A Civil Action....

I got it. All corporations are evil scumbags, who are out to get the little guy and kill their kids with chemical waste, when they are not destroying the earth with spent nuclear fuel and melting down the core to the center of the earth and ending mankind as we know it, while sexually harassing the crippled minority lesbian in the human resources department.

This one is a pretty poorly timed kick in the jimmy. One would hardly call the Big 3 all powerful today.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Tucker, Erin Brockovich, China Syndrome, A Civil Action....

I got it. All corporations are evil scumbags, who are out to get the little guy and kill their kids with chemical waste, when they are not destroying the earth with spent nuclear fuel and melting down the core to the center of the earth and ending mankind as we know it, while sexually harassing the crippled minority lesbian in the human resources department.

This one is a pretty poorly timed kick in the jimmy. One would hardly call the Big 3 all powerful today.
I just saw a preview for that movie when I was watching Bangkok Dangerous the other day. Needless to say, that movie has a clearly anti-Detroit or anti-Corporation feel to it. But you got to give props to the man that invented the intermediate windshield wipers.

·
Registered
6,957 Posts
Another Detroit bashing movie? How many of those are there?

Jesus, get a grip. It is a drama. I saw the preview the other day and did not get an anti-Detroit vibe.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Another Detroit bashing movie? How many of those are there?

Jesus, get a grip. It is a drama. I saw the preview the other day and did not get an anti-Detroit vibe.
.... are you kidding?

Tucker, Who Killed the Electric car, Roger & Me

How is this not anti-Detroit? They are making a freakin movie about how Ford "stole" the idea of the intermittent wiper. As if that was some grand idea that no one else in the world would ever think of. It's actually kind of funny. First time I saw this ad I thought it was hilarious how dramatic they were making it. Then it just made me angry.

I suppose you also think Jeremy Clarkson isn't Anti-Detroit

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
.... are you kidding?

Tucker, Who Killed the Electric car, Roger & Me

How is this not anti-Detroit? They are making a freakin movie about how Ford "stole" the idea of the intermittent wiper. As if that was some grand idea that no one else in the world would ever think of. It's actually kind of funny. First time I saw this ad I thought it was hilarious how dramatic they were making it. Then it just made me angry.

I suppose you also think Jeremy Clarkson isn't Anti-Detroit
Roger and Me wasn't anti-Detroit, it was anti-Roger Smith and what his idiotic plans for General Motors (most or all of which were eventually reversed) did to Flint Michigan, Moore's hometown.

Feel free to try to defend Roger Smith around these parts. You won't have much company.

·
Registered
5,714 Posts
I don't see Roger & Me as being "anti-Detroit" because, from everything I've seen (even the movie), Michael Moore WANTS Michiganers to succeed, and the Big3 are, in his eyes, a major part of that. It was his way to expose Roger Smith's direction (and others) that had reduced employment in Michigan.

As for "Flash of Genius", it might have a similar tone but again I don't see it as "anti-Detroit" as much as it is "pro-little guy." Just because these David and Goliath movies are being made, they MUST BE "anti-Detroit?" Would YOU (readers of this thread, and Americans in general) even care about this story if it was a Japanese or German man fighhting against Toyota or Volkswagen? But it's a true story about a fellow American fighting to get his due. I see this as PRO-American...it just so happens that the antagonists are executives of a large American car company. I don't see it as "anti-Detroit" at all.

And if you STILL don't see my point, try it as a "anti-1960s Detroit" just like "Tucker" was (in your eyes) "anti-1940s Detroit" but that the industry has learned from these mistakes. Perhaps we could see "All Corvettes are Red: The Movie?"

·
Registered
4,887 Posts
Anti Detroit? I thought I read that the focus was mostly about the guy going insane, and not so much the car companies.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts