GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GM China has released the first official images of the facelifted Buick Excelle GT, ready for its launch on the Chinese car market later this week. The facelift includes a new grille, new headlights, a new bumper, and a updated interior.

The current Buick Excelle GT, based on the Opel Astra sedan and manufactured in China by the Shanghai-GM joint venture. Price starts at 132.700 yuan and ends at 187.300 yuan. Engines are a 121hp 1.6, a 184hp 1.6 turbo, and a 147hp 1.8.

The facelifted Excelle GT will get an entirely new engine line-up: a 113hp 1.5 mated to a six-speed automatic and a 140hp 1.4 turbo mated to a seven-speed DCT. Price range will remain about the same.

A completely new dash with a large LCD screen in the center console, housing the Intellink infotainment system. Small fake-wood strip on the passenger side. New dials and steering wheel. Compare to current.

http://www.carnewschina.com/2015/02...l-facelift-for-the-buick-excelle-gt-in-china/

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Hmmm.. not bad at all!

·
Registered
621 Posts
I was hoping for more Avenir influences here. The Encore was "ho-hum" in the styling department too, and look at the sales figures on them. They can't build enough to meet demand! Not a bad problem to have!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
I love the interior, except for that blank insert on the left side of the wheel, that looks bad. Overall the exterior looks bland, save for the front fascia. The greenhouse gives off a Hyundai vibe to me.

I would hope that the next Verano looks a good bit different from this, except for the interior which looks great.

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
I think it looks great. However, the interior looks like it was much better thought out that the exterior. That's not to say I don't think the exterior is handsome, but only that they didn't go "far enough" in the execution. Though the front reminds me of the current LaCrosse (not a bad thing), the rear has a lot of Audi sedan overtones to me and seems a bit derivative of other designs. Still, it is FAR better than the chrome eyebrow-strips above the taillamps on the current car (still can't fathom how that was okay'ed by the design team).

Again, just my opinion.

As an aside, the sweep spear look of the flanks makes me wonder if this will be unique to Buick or if the updated Astra family will also share this characteristics?

I've stated in other threads that, as China begins to gain more and more importance in the way Buicks are developed, designed, and brought to market, will this eventually create a "divergence" between some of the shared product/styling elements currently in the Opel-Buick partnership? If so, then it's entirely possible that the sweep spear in this updated Excelle will be the first step toward that separation. Also lending itself toward that mindset is the fact that the Excelle doesn't share the Astra sedan's rear-end (which was launched after the Excelle/Verano debut and arguably would have foreshadowed what an updated Excelle/Verano's rear would have looked like):

If anyone is interested, there's a bit more information over at AutoEvolution on some of the mechanical details:

2015 Buick Excelle GT Revealed, It Shares the 2016 Chevrolet Cruze’s GM D2XX Platform - Photo Gallery

In terms of mechanicals, the D2XX accommodates independent rear suspension and an entry-level 1.5-liter petrol unit with 113 horsepower, which is mated to a six-speed manual. As for the more punchy 1.4-liter turbo with 140 horsepower under its belt, this four-banger lump is conjoined as standard to a seven-speed dual-clutch automatic transmission. Considering that almost 50 percent marketshare is taken by C-segment sedans such as the all-new Chevrolet Cruze, a lot is expected from the new Buick on the block.
I thought that the current care was Delta based and that the D2XX platform designed by Russelheim and was all new. Did I get this wrong?

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
As an aside, the sweep spear look of the flanks makes me wonder if this will be unique to Buick or if the updated Astra family will also share this characteristics?
I hope not. A sweep spear on a hatchback looks like **** and the sedan plays no roll in Western Europe. Didn't saw a single Astra H or J sedan until today and I live in the most overcrowded region of Germany, but I see a lot of older Astra F sedans. How the time has changed.

·
Registered
2018 Chevrolet Tahoe Premier
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Also lending itself toward that mindset is the fact that the Excelle doesn't share the Astra sedan's rear-end (which was launched after the Excelle/Verano debut and arguably would have foreshadowed what an updated Excelle/Verano's rear would have looked like):
Yeah, maybe next Verano will share the rear tail with Opel/Vauxhall Astra K, while the Chinese Excelle GT will be more specific.
I thought that the current care was Delta based and that the D2XX platform designed by Russelheim and was all new. Did I get this wrong?
You're right. D2XX is full new architecture (available AWD, rear independent suspension).

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.