GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
It’s Official: Opel Volt coming in 2011
Posted on 10.3.2008 15:50 by Simona Alina

It’s no surprise. Not only is the Chevrolet Volt easily one of GM’s most ambitious projects (new technology, short timeline), but we have also been hearing many rumors that the European Opel brand will get its own version of the gas/electric hybrid. So, very few were surprised at the official announcement from General Motors at the Paris Auto Show that Opel’s Volt will arrive in 2011 (Chevrolet’s will debut in 2010.)

"Since fuel economy and the whole issue of ecological driving is as important in Europe as it is in North America, we made a decision that we’re going to trail the North American Volt with an Opel version of that vehicle in the 2011 time frame," said Hans Demant, managing director of Opel.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/it-s-official-opel-volt-coming-in-2011-ar64862.html

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
i have totally approved this yet.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I kinda want GM to sell it as a Chevy...
Maybe give Opel its own version, but whats a better way to keep Chevy's image growing in Europe as well as Asia if the Volt went world wide.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Maybe give Opel its own version, but whats a better way to keep Chevy's image growing in Europe as well as Asia if the Volt went world wide.
I agree with that 100%. Sad thing is that the Opel version may look a tiny bit more sporty then the Chevy version.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
i'm going to go drink a frappuccino now.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
Agreed, but selling it as an Chevy instead of an Opel also means that you dont have to worry about Rebadge comments, you dont have to worry about trying to boost its performance or handling or quality by making it an Opel.
It just goes in as a chevy, and thats it.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Hmmm...Pontiac dealers fought for a G3, but no variant of the Volt?.

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
I was thinkin the same thing

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Perfect fit, except, what will the Chevy brand sell in Europe as a plug-in or hybrid?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
I agree in theory BigAl, but I think the Epica and Captiva is already at the very top end of what people will pay for a Chevrolet in Europe... many people still wouldn't even consider them... so it would be a huge struggle to get people into a Volt. Maybe when the price comes down in a few years...

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
I agree with that 100%. Sad thing is that the Opel version may look a tiny bit more sporty then the Chevy version.

They probably think it will too expensive to be a Chevy. Opel is a higher end brand and will more easily command the prices that will have to be charged.

(......Get it?..."Charged"!....:lmao:"

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I agree in theory BigAl, but I think the Epica and Captiva is already at the very top end of what people will pay for a Chevrolet in Europe... many people still wouldn't even consider them... so it would be a huge struggle to get people into a Volt. Maybe when the price comes down in a few years...
I disagree, I think people will pay whatever if the product is perceived to be what is claimed. People are going to buy this car if it's done right regardless of which badge is on it's nose. I hope GM will differenciate it enough so it's not just a Volt without the "powerbar" grille and bowtie. And PLEASE don't call it the Opel Volt!!!

·
Registered
181 Posts
They probably think it will too expensive to be a Chevy. Opel is a higher end brand and will more easily command the prices that will have to be charged.
I agree and I think it's a good move for GM.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That really would be great, but until Chevy/Saab/Opel/Vauxhall dealerships are completely consolidated in Europe (http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/...-share-new-corp-identity-28009/?t-28009.html=) the Volt would lack the solid dealership base that is imperative to its success.

Hopefully the next time around...

·
Registered
18 F150 Sport 3.5, 18 WRX, 07 Town Car, 06 Explorer V8 Eddie Bauer
452 Posts
dont worry...all the divisions will B M & C until they get their rebadge too

1 - 20 of 37 Posts