GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Busier, not better.
exactly, i like the old one better, the new one feels like they just added lines everywhere on the front. feels overdone

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
The new lines on the hood and lower fascia definitely stand out a lot more. The bumper lots like the car has puffy cheeks or something. And the way the bumper bends and swoops into the lower fascia's air intake.......I hope all those swoops, lines, and creases improve airflow and aerodynamics. I do like the new tail lights though, the current ones always struck me as being a little too simple and plain to be elegant, like they were a weak afterthought on a great car. That interior too, you can almost feel the quality by just looking at it. Now that's a luxury interior. Not saying the CTS isn't.

I like it :)

If GM ever goes under in my lifetime, you'll see me in a BMW before you'll ever see me in a Toyondassan.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
Looks like any other BMW to me. Either pop for the 5 series or don't bother.

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
The only thing I don't really like is the hood on it.

·
Registered
3,730 Posts
That interior too, you can almost feel the quality by just looking at it. Now that's a luxury interior. Not saying the CTS isn't.
:blink: Seriously? The IP looks cheap, the center stack is a G6 flavor of horrible, and that little blip on the passenger side (cupholder?) looks seriously tacked on. Lots of cute little buttons, including two in the bottom row that don't do anything. This is worth 30g's? Absolutely horrid.

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Jacking the plastics from a G6 and woodgrain trim from a last gen. Chrysler Sebring? Niiiiice :rolleyes:

Granted the seats look good and I'm sure the shifter there is a treat to play with, but the CTS and even the STS **** all over this. For close to 40 large, I'm sure you can do better......

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Jacking the plastics from a G6 and woodgrain trim from a last gen. Chrysler Sebring? Niiiiice :rolleyes:
Personally, I like the CTS interior better than the 3. But if you think the plastics on a 3 is the same as a G6, you 've either never been in a 3 or never been in a G6. Ditto the wood from Sebring.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I find it amusing that some people find this car ugly. From what I've seen, I think this is the best looking 4 door out there exterior wise.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
the Caddy's going to kill this thing
How is that even possible?
Cadillac doesn't have a car that even compete with this car!!

And BLS is still at least 2 years out!

This 3 series is a disaster. It's too generic looking. I wish it looked closer to the 5-series.

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
How is that even possible?
Cadillac doesn't have a car that even compete with this car!!

And BLS is still at least 2 years out!

This 3 series is a disaster. It's too generic looking. I wish it looked closer to the 5-series.
Generic? When has a 3-Series EVER looked anything but utterly bland?

That being said, I prefer the soap-bar 3-Series to the Bangle 3-Series, but I view this as an improvement. For entry-level sports sedans, here's how I would rank them:

1) Audi A4

2) Mercedes C-Class

3) Saab 9-3

4) BMW 3er

5) Infiniti G35

6) Lexus IS, Acura TL, Cadillac CTS... I think all three are awful looking

·
Registered
17,579 Posts
Really, let's get serious guys. The car is the best-looking 3er ever, and the 3er has been a gold standard in compact executives, both for other features AND for its styling, for a long time now. Even if the past models were on the conservative side, this one is strikingly contemporary. The Pontiac G8, the best-looking sedan GM currently makes, is clearly taking big leaves out of the 3ers book.

It is also Europe's TENTH BEST-SELLING car (joining a cast of compacts and superminis, mind you, and outselling the likes of VW Passat!), and I guess US sales numbers are also impressive, as well as global ones. People LOVE this car.

Cadillac's compact executive will flop, just as the current one did. People go to Cadillac for a big luxury car - something Cadillac offers only to North Americans, and in a convulted form. Just like people aren't interested in a Lexus SC, but will buy Lexus ES's and LS's, building a Cadillac compact executive is pretty pointless. OTOH, people come to BMW for the 3er primarily, and only its popularity allowed the brand to expand into 1ers, X5ers, 6ers and all.

Brand-building starts from establishing the firm core, trying to shift the core rarely works. And, as mentioned, GM already has a prime-positioned competitor in this market in the form of SAAB, which faces investment starvation...

·
Registered
13,043 Posts
Really, let's get serious guys. The car is the best-looking 3er ever, and the 3er has been a gold standard in compact executives, both for other features AND for its styling, for a long time now. Even if the past models were on the conservative side, this one is strikingly contemporary. The Pontiac G8, the best-looking sedan GM currently makes, is clearly taking big leaves out of the 3ers book.

It is also Europe's TENTH BEST-SELLING car (joining a cast of compacts and superminis, mind you, and outselling the likes of VW Passat!), and I guess US sales numbers are also impressive, as well as global ones. People LOVE this car.

Cadillac's compact executive will flop, just as the current one did. People go to Cadillac for a big luxury car - something Cadillac offers only to North Americans, and in a convulted form. Just like people aren't interested in a Lexus SC, but will buy Lexus ES's and LS's, building a Cadillac compact executive is pretty pointless. OTOH, people come to BMW for the 3er primarily, and only its popularity allowed the brand to expand into 1ers, X5ers, 6ers and all.

Brand-building starts from establishing the firm core, trying to shift the core rarely works. And, as mentioned, GM already has a prime-positioned competitor in this market in the form of SAAB, which faces investment starvation...
100% agreed.

The 3-Series is the core BMW car, much like the DTS is the core Cadillac car, whether they want to accept this or not.

BMW's runaway success is due entirely to establishing brand principles, and sticking to them no matter what. Compared to the average luxury product in a given segment, a BMW shall be smaller, handle better, and have the BMW exterior and interior design that has barely changed in 15 years (a good thing in this case).

Compare this to Cadillac, who can't even reconcile differences within its own lineup, let alone stick to a plan. Escalade versus CTS... how are they similar in principle?

·
Registered
11,215 Posts
100% agreed.

The 3-Series is the core BMW car, much like the DTS is the core Cadillac car, whether they want to accept this or not.

BMW's runaway success is due entirely to establishing brand principles, and sticking to them no matter what. Compared to the average luxury product in a given segment, a BMW shall be smaller, handle better, and have the BMW exterior and interior design that has barely changed in 15 years (a good thing in this case).

Compare this to Cadillac, who can't even reconcile differences within its own lineup, let alone stick to a plan. Escalade versus CTS... how are they similar in principle?
DTS is the core product? I can't remember the last time I saw one. CTSs and Escalades are everywhere around here, and I'd bet the same goes for more places. DTS is the old Cadillac's core. That changed whent he Escalade came around and shifted again with the CTS. The Escalade is probably still the core now. I see more STSs on the road than DTSs.

·
Registered
5,106 Posts
Really, let's get serious guys. The car is the best-looking 3er ever
Well, that's a matter of personal taste. I still like the E46 better in terms of design (although in most other aspects, the E90 is superior) -- despite its age. And while I can't say for sure until I see the 2009 in person, the original E90 design seems less cluttered in some ways to me so far.

That's the classic innovator's dillema, isn't it? You are good at something... do you stick to that or try your hand at other things? It's safe to stay with what you know, but what if someone else starts to do that one thing better... or that one thing goes out of fashion? Pretty soon, there won't be much of a market of large luxury sedans. I, for one, am glad Cadillac isn't just sticking to what they have historically done. If they did that, the two most successful current Cadillacs wouldn't exist (CTS and Escalade). I disagree on the Lexus and BMW commens too. Lexus' best selling model is the RX -- not where the brand started, and the worst embodiment of Lexus' "core values". As for BMW, I'm sure you are well aware the current 3 is quite different from the core values that defined BMW -- it's far too big and far more "feature-heavy". The 1 is closer to what the 3 would have been if BMW stayed true to the original "core".

While each brand needs a core set of values as a framework to hang everything else on, it should never be a cage that restricts brand evolution or venturing into new segments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts