GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Maetrix66 said:
they just officially made me hate Japanese cars even more. I'm going to go take my 345 horsepower twin-turbo PONTIAC FIERO and find me a couple of ricers to smoke.
Yes! thats the spirit!!!!

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
[Corporal Dan] said:
http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/ekeylor/mv_gt4_lasvegas_qv.asx

This is what made me say **************** YOU to this game.

Listen to those toothbrushes go.

are you saying that on that one car that you heard? i have the game and the sounds aren't perfect but i have a TVR Griffith 500 and it has a nice V8 sound and so do the old muscle cars, and my Mazda 6 turbo has a realistic turbo 6 cylinder sound. sure its not perfect but a skyline at high revs doesn't sound like a corvette in real life and it doesn't need to in the game. you really have to play it to judge the sounds not just watch a video.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The complete car list does include the Trans Am and HSV cars, they have to be unlocked.

The 2 things that continue to piss me off is that the big american V8 cars still don't sound ANYTHING like V8s, and that there are like 19 different versions of a Skyline, etc.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
Branden said:
Just got the game tonight. I sat out GT3 as I had had an xBox up until last month. I bought a PS2 specifically for this game, so I had high expectations.

So far here are my opinions-

Pluses-
  • Tons of cars, and what appears to be endless hours of game play.
  • Driving seems a little bit more difficult which is an upgrade over the older "drive fast as you can at a wall and bounce off it" driving style.
  • RWD Cars are actually drivable. I remember endless nights being pissed at older GT games because the Viper did dough nuts on every turn.
  • Tons of great tracks! Nuremberg (SP?)...need I say more?
Negatives-
  • Was I correct in seeing some car from the 1800's and Jay Leno's Tank Rod? These cars are here, but there is no Trans Am?
  • American Car Makers are still under represented. Why is the Sunfire there? I see there still are about 18 different versions of each import car.
  • I have a 52" HD Big Screen and the game had so many jagglies it made my head hurt. Granted, it is not on an HD hookup because my Cable Box, XBox, and DVD Player have those all occupied
  • The cars all sound like crap still. The GTO sounds horrid.
Thats all I can think of for now. I think my opinions will obviously change as I get deeper into the game. Seems like there is still a lot more to see.
Branden,

Have you thought about getting a Component Video Switch to switch between your XBOX and the PS2?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yo guys, I think you are all forgetting about one important car,THE C6!!! The new vette and the new Z06 aren't even in the game, thats sad. Whats the point of putting american cars if there are no new vettes, the pride of American performance. And what about the 80's american cars like Fieros, Trans Ams, Corvettes, Camaros. There is only the Iroc-Z and its a concept. As for ****, there are just too many of them, why would I want to drive a Honda Today G '85? Also, why are cars like Vibe and Sunfire in the game and the Trans Am WS6 isnt??? The only good things about this game are the graphics and the racing simulation.

But seriously, not putting a C6 in the game is completely unacceptable, let alone the Trans Ams.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
There is only the Iroc-Z and its a concept.
I forget who said it, but a Japanese Auto Exec once said "The best American cars are concept cars." It seems they are using games to hammer home this point - while deliberately leaving out the production cars... :mad:

·
Registered
97 Posts
gmsickofan said:
I forget who said it, but a Japanese Auto Exec once said "The best American cars are concept cars." It seems they are using games to hammer home this point - while deliberately leaving out the production cars... :mad:

Let him stick with his civics, he probably never drove an American car. Anyway, there is a new racing game comming out for the X-box its called FORSA, they have all the performance cars you would want. I played a demo, I took a new vette, it sounded amazing and the graphics were pretty good....but not as good as GT4. I think its made by Microsoft.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
gmsickofan said:
I saw that when you click on the Pontiac emblem in the place where you choose a car brand. If you wait, a little description will roll across the bottom of the screen. Pontiac sucked from 60's Firebirds until the recent GTO - that's what it read like.

Maybe someone could post the text here.
I read it, and it is interesting to note that BOTH Chevy AND Pontiac are "dissed" in the game text regarding the brands in their own way.

Read the scroll-by text of each at the U.S.A. dealership. Two things - one, the already mentioned "lackluster" Pontiac comment, and two, that Chevrolet "used to dominate" racing with its V8's. past tense....hmm....

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I did mention that this game is Japan developed for a Japanese audience with a primary interest in European style GT racing, yes? Once you accept that this game was not made for us, I think you can enjoy it more.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
For the frustrated GM fan...

Easy Path to Driving GM cars in GT4

First thing you'll notice in GT4 is that when you go to a used car shop, all cars but one are Japanese (one Fiat). While you could blow your wad (you start with 10K) on the old Fiat, you have to do one more thing to enjoy the game anyway, so do this:

Note: if you have GT3 game data transferred over, I'm not sure if you can go back and win the cars in the license tests. But in that case you probably have enough money to buy a GTO or something. Regardless, the cars below are referred to as "unlockable" cars.

1. Take License Test B - try to get all silver, but just complete it if it is too difficult. If you complete it standard, you get a Volkswagen, if you complete with silver, you get a MAZDA KUSABI. Guess which sells for more. If you get all golds, you get an antique Honda from 1963. Yeah, silver.
2. Take License Test A - but just pass it. If you get all silver or gold, you get a Japanese car. So pass it and get a Pontiac Sunfire GXP.

Run to get an oil change on your GXP. Strange, but your horsepower increases!?

One you have your Sunfire GXP, you can finally consider buying cars. You have one car to sell (the volkswagen or Mazda), and 10,000 credits. You can try racing some beginning courses with the Mazda and the Sunfire to get more cash if you need it - then sell the Mazda.

Now, you can do what I did, and modify your Sunfire. The benefit to this is that there are a lot of Front-wheel-drive Front Engine courses/races to complete. At the very least, you should race a bit with it and get some dough from the Beginners races.

More Unlockable Cars in the "American Hall"

CHEVROLET Corvette Convertible (C1) '54 Win American Championship
CHEVROLET Camaro LM Race Car '01 Win Stars and Stripes
CHEVROLET Chevelle SS 454 '70 Win American Muscle Car Championship
PLYMOUTH Super Bird '70 Win Classic Muscle Car Championship

More GM unlockables:

Get All Silver in Super License: PONTIAC Solstice Coupe Concept '02
Win Rally d' Umbria Easy Special Condition Hall:CADILLAC CIEN '02
Beginnner Hall Sport Truck Race Chevrolet Silverado SST Concept '02
Chevrolet Manufacturer's Race Event:
Corvette Festival Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe (C2) '63
Camaro Meeting Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
Opel Manufacturer's Race Event:
Speedster Cup Opel Calibra Touring Car (DTM) '94

Some Alliance Partner stuff (win):
Subaru Manufacturer's Race Event:
Subaru 360 Race Subaru Subaru 360 '58
Race of Pleiades Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car '01
Suzuki Manufacturer's Race Event:
Suzuki K Cup Suzuki Concept-S2 '03
Suzuki Concept Car Suzuki GSX-R/4 '01

·
Banned
7,944 Posts
I had a chance to play GT4 yesterday for a few hours, and I must say that the game itself is fun, but there is a lack of alot of cars, and yes, there really dony need to be 20 versions of one Japanese car and none of another car.

There is some wrong information on GM cars...

For example...

When the Chevrolet history is scrolling on the bottom of the screen..

Quote:

"Chevrolet was founded in 1911 by Louis Chevrolet and William Durant, who later went on to found General Motors....

WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG WRONG

GM was incorporated on September 16, 1908, 3 years before Chevrolet was incorporated, 10 years before Chevrolet even became a part of General Motors, if they had bothered to open a book, or maybe even look online, they might have been able to find out about that.

Also, it lists about 2 things that Cadillac is credited for.....the electric starter and the interchangability of parts, yet leaves out another ton of Cadillac acheivements.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
hahaha just wanted to let you know that i just won a 1886 daimler motor carraige. 1hp top speed around 9mph and it takes the guy forever to shift!

·
Registered
287 Posts
Ming said:
For the frustrated GM fan...

Easy Path to Driving GM cars in GT4

First thing you'll notice in GT4 is that when you go to a used car shop, all cars but one are Japanese (one Fiat). While you could blow your wad (you start with 10K) on the old Fiat, you have to do one more thing to enjoy the game anyway, so do this:

Note: if you have GT3 game data transferred over, I'm not sure if you can go back and win the cars in the license tests. But in that case you probably have enough money to buy a GTO or something. Regardless, the cars below are referred to as "unlockable" cars.

1. Take License Test B - try to get all silver, but just complete it if it is too difficult. If you complete it standard, you get a Volkswagen, if you complete with silver, you get a MAZDA KUSABI. Guess which sells for more. If you get all golds, you get an antique Honda from 1963. Yeah, silver.
2. Take License Test A - but just pass it. If you get all silver or gold, you get a Japanese car. So pass it and get a Pontiac Sunfire GXP.

Run to get an oil change on your GXP. Strange, but your horsepower increases!?

One you have your Sunfire GXP, you can finally consider buying cars. You have one car to sell (the volkswagen or Mazda), and 10,000 credits. You can try racing some beginning courses with the Mazda and the Sunfire to get more cash if you need it - then sell the Mazda.

Now, you can do what I did, and modify your Sunfire. The benefit to this is that there are a lot of Front-wheel-drive Front Engine courses/races to complete. At the very least, you should race a bit with it and get some dough from the Beginners races.

More Unlockable Cars in the "American Hall"

CHEVROLET Corvette Convertible (C1) '54 Win American Championship
CHEVROLET Camaro LM Race Car '01 Win Stars and Stripes
CHEVROLET Chevelle SS 454 '70 Win American Muscle Car Championship
PLYMOUTH Super Bird '70 Win Classic Muscle Car Championship

More GM unlockables:

Get All Silver in Super License: PONTIAC Solstice Coupe Concept '02
Win Rally d' Umbria Easy Special Condition Hall:CADILLAC CIEN '02
Beginnner Hall Sport Truck Race Chevrolet Silverado SST Concept '02
Chevrolet Manufacturer's Race Event:
Corvette Festival Chevrolet Corvette Stingray Coupe (C2) '63
Camaro Meeting Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z Concept '88
Opel Manufacturer's Race Event:
Speedster Cup Opel Calibra Touring Car (DTM) '94

Some Alliance Partner stuff (win):
Subaru Manufacturer's Race Event:
Subaru 360 Race Subaru Subaru 360 '58
Race of Pleiades Subaru Impreza Super Touring Car '01
Suzuki Manufacturer's Race Event:
Suzuki K Cup Suzuki Concept-S2 '03
Suzuki Concept Car Suzuki GSX-R/4 '01
So how do you get the Z-R1 Vette? I was hoping it was the prize for winning the all Vette race.

EDIT: Nevermind, you can buy it, lol.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Ok people,have no fear.
This is what I have gathered so far from playing the game myself.
I bought a 90 Mazda rx-7 gt-x(FC,J) from the used car showroom 2 to start off with.
After I built up some money I bought a 2000 Camaro SS from the Chevrolet dealership.
I then beat the Beginner clubman cup with all number 1 wins and it unlocked a 97 Camaro Z-28 in the used showroom II.
Then I went and got my B license so I could play the Clubman Cup in the professional events and after I beat that with all #1 wins (GOLD TROPHIES) it unlocked a 96 Chevrolet Corvette GRAND SPORT(C-4) in the used car showroom II.
Now I am thinking that there are a hole lotta GM cars you can get if those are the cars you use to win races.
Good luck to all of you that want to see more GM cars in the game.
If I find out anything else as far as GM cars,I will post it in this thread in the near future.

·
Registered
913 Posts
I thought a lot more people would like this game. I've had it for 2 days and own a 300M, a Honda Civic, and a Tommy kaira. It's the best racing game I've ever played. A lot of people are complaining about the lack of American cars but this game was made for Japan!!! Stop whining please it is annoying to see everyone say they want more Chevy's. I'm sure if it were made in America by Americans there would be plenty of Chevy's/Pontiacs/Fords etc.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
amark329 said:
I thought a lot more people would like this game. I've had it for 2 days and own a 300M, a Honda Civic, and a Tommy kaira. It's the best racing game I've ever played. A lot of people are complaining about the lack of American cars but this game was made for Japan!!! Stop whining please it is annoying to see everyone say they want more Chevy's. I'm sure if it were made in America by Americans there would be plenty of Chevy's/Pontiacs/Fords etc.
I disagree. This game was not made just for Japan.This game was made for making money.I just think since the makers were from Japan,they went with mostly what they know.
The take off in my 00 Camaro with 542 hp seems so slow.
But then again the take off seems slow in any car so far that I have tried.
I think I will give it some more time before I make up my mind on how much I like the game.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts