GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Official: Cadillac has begun work on a high-performance, lightweight SUV
The Detroit News

In an appearance at the Washington Auto Show, [Johan] De Nysschen said the luxury brand is improving; he reiterated that Cadillac would invest $12 billion and add eight new vehicles by 2020. And he said Cadillac plans to unveil diesel SUVs and cars in the United States and Europe around 2019.

De Nysschen said Cadillac’s new product cadence “would really start hitting” the brand in late ’17, ’18 and ’19. “We have to use this time to prepare. We need to work on the brand. We need to work on the dealer experience. We need to work on the quality of the business.”
Cadillac has begun work on a high-performance, lightweight cross-over SUV that will be smaller than the Escalade — a “large functional SUV... with low fuel consumption,” de Nysschen said.

He said that would come to market no earlier than four years from now.

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
1) Awesome.

2)
De Nysschen said Cadillac’s new product cadence “would really start hitting” the brand in late ’17, ’18 and ’19. “We have to use this time to prepare. We need to work on the brand. We need to work on the dealer experience. We need to work on the quality of the business.”
Perfect.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
This is excellent news! :)

Here the vast majority of the time was given for granted that the product "between the SRX (XT5?) and Escalade" would be a CUV 3 rows of seats... It turns out that no, instead it will be a worthy competitor to the X5 and Cayenne; while the replacement of the SRX will be positioned intermediate between the compact SUV segment (X3, Q5, GLC) and medium-large (X5, Cayenne, GLE). I'm thinking of a base price for the order of an X4.

I guess for this upcoming SUV medium-large "high performance" use the next generation of Alpha platform (A2xx), and Omega for the large CUV with 3 rows of seats.

SUV`s: XT2 (small Crossover FWD), XT3 (compact SUV RWD), XT4 or 5 (Next SRX, medium CUV FWD), XT6 (medium-large SUV RWD) and Escalade​

·
Registered
19,265 Posts
This is excellent news! :)

Here the vast majority of the time was given for granted that the product "between the SRX (XT5?) and Escalade" would be a CUV 3 rows of seats... It turns out that no, instead it will be a worthy competitor to the X5 and Cayenne; while the replacement of the SRX will be positioned intermediate between the compact SUV segment (X3, Q5, GLC) and medium-large (X5, Cayenne, GLE). I'm thinking of a base price for the order of an X4.

I guess for this upcoming SUV medium-large "high performance" use the next generation of Alpha platform (A2xx), and Omega for the large CUV with 3 rows of seats.

SUV`s: XT2 (small Crossover FWD), XT3 (compact SUV RWD), XT4 or 5 (Next SRX, medium CUV FWD), XT6 (medium-large SUV RWD) and Escalade​
Veeeeery interesting in XT5 does not move up substantially in price, but I suspect it will still occupy the same space, as an X5/ML-sized crossover.

New RWD SUV I would guess is still a full-size. Relegating Escalade to purely family car status is a SIN, so I would guess/hope they offer a unibody vehicle to substitute that role for Cadillac to allow Escalade to move up in the world.

·
Registered
990 Posts
New RWD SUV I would guess is still a full-size. Relegating Escalade to purely family car status is a SIN, so I would guess/hope they offer a unibody vehicle to substitute that role for Cadillac to allow Escalade to move up in the world.
Never going to happen and you know it. Escalade has too much cache and prestige for it to be a unibody vehicle and the Escalade faithful would bitch and complain if that ever happen and would never look at Cadillac and scorn them for doing so.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Great news! Great new for when my mother trades the Grand Cherokee. Caddy needs these crossovers as soon as possible.

I really want to se the XT5. I didn't like the proportions of the mules that were spied not to long ago. I want to be proven wrong, it needs to look good.

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,624 Posts
Sounds like this is the Omega SUV that has been rumored. With the current popularity of SUVs, this is going to be a very important vehicle for Cadillac.

Could GMC (and Chevrolet) get a version as well?

·
Registered
8,504 Posts
Veeeeery interesting in XT5 does not move up substantially in price, but I suspect it will still occupy the same space, as an X5/ML-sized crossover.

Could Cadillac be repeating what was done with the CTS and XTS. XT5 for the RX/MDX fighter, and a true X5/GLE fighter?

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
This now make all the planned CUV/SUVs under development.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Yes! Hopefully like this:

Series 78x
$64,995 - $110,995

Omega-based crossover much like MonaroSS designed here. I would make it a sexy 6 seater with center consoles and HVAC controls and power seats in all 3 rows. Engines will be the 3.0T at 340/340, 3.6TT at 420/430, the 4.5TT from Elmiraj with 500/500, and the 6.2SC from the CTS-V. This will be a bad ass whip!

·
Super Moderator
10,947 Posts
Good news. Glad to see that such a product is on the drawing board.
Cadillac is also introducing start-stop technology later this year and will greatly expand the use of cylinder deactivation to improve fuel economy to both four- and six-cylinder engines.
This is good news as well. Should not only help with CAFE, but also help to buttress Caddy as a technology-driven brand.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.