GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With October right around the corner, does anyone know what GM has in mind for Incentives? Will lease offers return in some form? Better incentives on purchasing?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
With October right around the corner, does anyone know what GM has in mind for Incentives? Will lease offers return in some form? Better incentives on purchasing?
Haven't heard of anything EXCEPT the GM Employee Pricing for Everyone is going away. No good lease deals. I think that the 0% on trucks may make a return and possibly some conquest cash for car purchases.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
that's the problem with GM, it's a guessing game, crap shoot trying to decide about a major purchase. when the time is right, it's hurry before it's over, and many miss the opportunity. Honda/Toyota? whenever you're ready, they're there. that's why Red Ink Rick needs the boot. he should be held responsible for running the company into the ground. forget cutting costs, if you don't know how to sell cars, it's a vicious, never ending cycle leading down the toilet. can't "turn around" when the swirl is forcing you down the toilet.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
that's the problem with GM, it's a guessing game, crap shoot trying to decide about a major purchase. when the time is right, it's hurry before it's over, and many miss the opportunity. Honda/Toyota? whenever you're ready, they're there. that's why Red Ink Rick needs the boot. he should be held responsible for running the company into the ground. forget cutting costs, if you don't know how to sell cars, it's a vicious, never ending cycle leading down the toilet. can't "turn around" when the swirl is forcing you down the toilet.
I hate to say it, but it's true. It's very frustrating right now for me trying to shop for a new GM vehicle, having nearly no lease options, and not having a clue about whether I should get a car now or wait in hopes that next month a lease program will return. GM just cheapens its image with it's Wal-Mart style fire sales and will not ween itself from them. Offer decent, competitive programs for both purchases and leases and stick with it for god's sake!!!

·
Registered
6,363 Posts
The lease losses are too great and not coming back.

GM is money ahead if you lease from another manufacturer than if they lease you one.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I hate to say it, but it's true. It's very frustrating right now for me trying to shop for a new GM vehicle, having nearly no lease options, and not having a clue about whether I should get a car now or wait in hopes that next month a lease program will return. GM just cheapens its image with it's Wal-Mart style fire sales and will not ween itself from them. Offer decent, competitive programs for both purchases and leases and stick with it for god's sake!!!
That's where I'm at right now. With the economy the way it is, I think I'd rather lease a new car at this point, as the monthly payments would be better. I'd also have less of a car payment to worry about if I should lose my job. Although I've been told I'm pretty safe and secure, the latest round of layoffs at my place had some pretty heavy hitters shown to the door....so I'm not too convinced I'm 100% safe.

On the other hand, there are some good deals to be had during this GMS sale, however, I really don't want to deplete my savings on a down payment on a car loan right now just in case I need that to fall back on. Which brings me back to leasing. If GM would return lease programs, I'd stick with GM (all I've ever owned). However, the way it looks, I'll be moving to Honda or Mazda for my next purchase, as they still have some decent lease deals out there. Although, with the resale value of GM vehicles plummeting as a result of all these fire sales, I can understand why GM can't run a decent lease program without taking a hit in the end. Yes, I could drop into a smaller vehicle, but with a wife and 2 growing kids, it's pretty difficult to travel around in comfort in an Aveo, not to mention the fact that I don't think I'd feel too safe in such a small car. And I don't see the value in the almost 5 model year old Cobalt, which is essentially the same vehicle that left the assembly line for the first time in 2004. I've been burned too many times on used cars, even ones that are only a couple years old, and would only consider one as a last resort (Unless I've just had some significant bad luck with used cars). However, I might not have a choice either. My G6 is probably the best car I've ever owned...not a single problem in 2.5 years other than tires, brakes and oil changes...which are general maintenance items anyways. Unfortunately, the General won't budge on negotiating a new lease end price, and I'm not sure I want to buy it at the current residual price. 3 years old with no warranty, and close to 13k buyout. It's not worth that much blue-book.

Unfortunately, my $$$ is more important to me than loyalty to The General.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
The only "advantage" a lease ever had was high residuals, and now for the most part those are history.

So don't lease.
GM's lease problem was created by fire sale leases on vehicles that are now worthless. Now GM is stuck with the opposite extreme. They can never find a happy medium with their sales and incentive policies. Offering reasonable and competitive lease programs on certain vehicles is not an outlandish idea and other manufacturers, that apparently understand that concept, will see the customers that GM is losing.

·
Registered
258 Posts
You are not alone. GM is so desperate that they cannot act in concert with GMAC, GM card and the dealers to help people who are ready to buy. I have been shopping since August and have been unable to find anything I want and have the incentives line up appropriately to my benefit. The dealers just create more confusion and thrive on spreading misinformation about every little thing.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
GM's lease problem was created by fire sale leases on vehicles that are now worthless. Now GM is stuck with the opposite extreme. They can never find a happy medium with their sales and incentive policies. Offering reasonable and competitive lease programs on certain vehicles is not an outlandish idea and other manufacturers, that apparently understand that concept, will see the customers that GM is losing.
Let's face it, everybody's vehicles are worthless right now. Some dealers (here in Canada anyway) are still offering leases themselves. Maybe you can find a dealer that will lease a GM.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
I just had a lease Tahoe turned in 2007 LTZ black loaded with 29000 miles nice unit. I had another customer that wanted the Tahoe. I called GMAC our price to buy the Tahoe was $29800. I dont know what auction they are watching but so much for the lease turn ins being cheap.

·
Registered
1,988 Posts
Let's face it, everybody's vehicles are worthless right now. Some dealers (here in Canada anyway) are still offering leases themselves. Maybe you can find a dealer that will lease a GM.
Everyone's? I think the big 3 are really the only ones suffering from lease issues. Toyota, Honda and Nissan have some SWEET lease deals now. Their residuals are quite healthy compared to GM's. I am in the market for another lease in the next couple of months and more than likely won't get another GM because of lack of leasing and finance promotions, rebates and incentives are are dizzying, not to mention restrictive. I tried 5 GM dealers myself and mentioning leasing is like saying you have an infectious disease. It's just sad to walk into a GM dealer lately. C'mon GM Canada, a bit of mercy for the guys on the front lines!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts