GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 208 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obama calls for 'clean energy' nation
By MIKE ALLEN | 8/4/08 11:37 AM EST

Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) on Monday promised a $7,000 tax credit to help drivers buy advanced-technology vehicles, and told struggling automotive makers in Michigan that his administration would provide $4 billion in direct assistance to help them build hybrid vehicles in the U.S.A.

Those plans are part of a $150 billion, 10-year investment that Obama wants the federal government to make in a “clean energy future.”

Three main components are: more cars fueled by hybrids; more use of wind, solar and other renewable energy; and a drastic cut in the nation’s use of oil.

“If I am president, I will immediately direct the full resources of the federal government and the full energy of the private sector to a single, overarching goal – in ten years, we will eliminate the need for oil from the entire Middle East and Venezuela,” Obama says in remarks prepared for delivery in Lansing, Mich.

“To do this, we will invest $150 billion over the next 10 years and leverage billions more in private capital to build a new energy economy that harnesses American energy and creates five million new American jobs.”

To set an example, Obama is vowing to convert the entire White House fleet to plug-in hybrid vehicles within one year, and convert all federal vehicle purchases to plug-in hybrids or all-electric by 2012.

SOURCE

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've used a tax credit before, and it is quite awesome to see the full amount of taxes you paid returned....this ain't no "deduction" for those who've never done it.

I have this speech in the background and the biggest applause I heard was him saying "I don't want fuel efficient cars built in China and Japan, I want them built right here, in Michigan, with new technology --- good jobs that can't be outsourced, UNION jobs."

Please keep this thread on topic, without hyperventilating Left vs. Right circus politics, or be banned from the thread.

·
Registered
899 Posts
I'm a Republican, but maybe I'll have to vote for Obama...

I care a whole hell of a lot more about energy independence than I do about:
Gays in the military
Which candidate is/is not wearing a US flag lapel pin
What a candidates wife said about anything...

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Another reason I don't want Obama to win - wasting taxes on encouraging large materialistic purchases.

"But they did it for Toyota!" - That was a waste of tax dollars too.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
He's saying what people want to hear, but would he and the other branches of government act?

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
And notice his words - "we will eliminate the need for oil from the entire Middle East and Venezuela." He never said we would stop buying from these countries, just eliminate the need. We'll still be buying just as much gas from those countries unless somebody passes a law.

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
I'm a Republican, but maybe I'll have to vote for Obama...

I care a whole hell of a lot more about energy independence than I do about:
Gays in the military
Which candidate is/is not wearing a US flag lapel pin
What a candidates wife said about anything...
you are not a republican.

Another reason I don't want Obama to win - wasting taxes on encouraging large materialistic purchases.

"But they did it for Toyota!" - That was a waste of tax dollars too.
exactly.
Why would the president waste time worrying about the white house fleet? There is soo much more important things a president can do.

What will he do next? Order an eflex airforce 1?

The more I see Obama blurting out stuff, Like now he is for some sort of drilling ofshore while he just a week ago said it was just a gimmick.. LINK and calling for us to inflate our tires?

I wonder to myself, how did such an empty suit ever make it to the top? Flip flops all over the place, no real policy you can put your fingers on, and all these wild ideas flying from his mouth...

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
“If I am president, I will immediately direct the full resources of the federal government and the full energy of the private sector to a single, overarching goal – in ten years, we will eliminate the need for oil from the entire Middle East and Venezuela”
This is exactly what we should be doing. No argument. No question. Regardless of your political preferences, this is what you want your president to do.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
Now there's some good news. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe GM was pushing for the $7000.00 credit for the Volt. This would mean they should get it. Converting the federal fleet to plug in hybrid should be a win for GM too. They have been working on plug ins for a while. The icing on the cake would be if the tax credit would apply only to US vehicles. It's kinda implied, but I admit that might be a bit much to hope for.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Now there's some good news. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe GM was pushing for the $7000.00 credit for the Volt. This would mean they should get it.
You're correct:

GM pushing for $7,000 tax credit for Chevrolet Volt buyers
June23

At an event held in Nashville last week, GM’s vice president for global program management, Jon Lauckner, proposed a tax break for vehicles that use partial or full battery power for propulsion. “What we favor is actually a sliding scale depending on how much battery you have on board,” Lauckner told Automotive News. “When I talk about $6,000 to $7,000, we’re talking about a battery that’s at least two times the size of a typical conversion plug-in or even a plug-in hybrid that we would offer.”
http://www.leftlanenews.com/gm-pushing-for-tax-credit-for-chevrolet-volt-buyers.html

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
This is exactly what we should be doing. No argument. No question. Regardless of your political preferences, this is what you want your president to do.
This is a joke. There is no NEED for ME oil right now! Gas prices would be higher, but we could do without these countries. We have our own oil we could/should be using to suplement ME oil.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Im interested in how he plans on converting all the whitehouse vehicles to plug ins. Are they going to be all Vue's, Volt's and to a lesser extent.....Priuses? Who else is goign to have plug in's?

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
We'll see. Campaign promises being what they are, Ill be surprised if any of this comes to pass. Im curious where the funding will come from, though.
The way we've been spending hundreds of Billions on the war effort, I'm sure we can come up with "$15 Billion Per Year" over 10 years for this plan.

And maybe we won't need to go to war in oil-rich countries...

·
Premium Member
34,352 Posts
Im interested in how he plans on converting all the whitehouse vehicles to plug ins. Are they going to be all Vue's, Volt's and to a lesser extent.....Priuses? Who else is goign to have plug in's?
Tells you he has no idea what the job entails. He thinks the president sits there looking at the white house fleet efficiency.
He thinks its like his little household.

·
Registered
3,447 Posts
I agree, all the security vehicles might be a stretch right now (a plug in armoured Presidential Limo?), but I'm sure they have plenty of 'regular' vehicles in the fleet that could be converted easily.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
And notice his words - "we will eliminate the need for oil from the entire Middle East and Venezuela." He never said we would stop buying from these countries, just eliminate the need. We'll still be buying just as much gas from those countries unless somebody passes a law.
That's good all the way around. Eliminate the need , but STILL buy the (obviously) cheaper oil from them. Use up THEIR oil (at lower prices) before we dig deeply into our own supply. Let's just hope nobody ever passes such a law.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Tells you he has no idea what the job entails. He thinks the president sits there looking at the white house fleet efficiency.
He thinks its like his little household.
I think it's more of an image thing. How can you ask Americans to buy the cars when you're being driven around in a huge black Suburban?

We've criticized the politicians (like Gore) for doing that kind of thing before.

Now we criticize them for trying to fix it?

As for where these plug-ins will come from, I'm guessing they would set up some special fleet deal, like the Hydrogen Equinoxes out there.

Wasn't the Bush presidential DTS powered by a unique engine setup?

1 - 20 of 208 Posts