GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All New Honda Fit Unveiled in New York (WorldCarFans)

Entry-Level Subcompact With Top-of-class Features

March 19, 2008 11:02 By Raghuram Supramanium
Filed Under: New York Auto Show Honda

The 2009 Honda Fit is set to shake the subcompact segment with its respectable top-of-class features, and Americans can finally drive it when the car goes on sale this fall.

The exterior is quite deceiving in respect of the interior space. Honda has promised that this entry-level car will not compromise with functionality and refinements, which is indeed evident. For that, the interior is generously spacious and rich in technology. Adding to the basic is the Magic Seat feature, which provides for multiple adjustment functions of the rear seats for improved spaciousness and seating positions.
The ‘Fit Sport’ option comes with even further refinements. The dashboard packs some new features including the Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System with 6.5” screen and the dynamic USB audio interface that is compatible with iPod and various other USB storage devices.

The car comes with a new 1.5 litre 4-cylinder engine mated to a 5-speed manual or 5-speed automatic gearbox. The ‘Fit Sport’ option will additionally include steering-wheel-mounted paddle shifters.

Even with all the sportiness, Honda still gives safety the priority. The Honda's Advanced Compatibility Engineering (ACE) technology that packs an innovative body structure comes with various standard safety features such as Vehicle Stability Assist and technologically advanced airbags.
Source: Honda

·
Registered
672 Posts
I didn't think it could get any uglier and there they go and prove me wrong. The headlights are half the size of the car!

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
We all know though that this is going to win all comparisons. It's handles, rides, and accelerates faster than the Yaris, Aveo, and Versa. It's a good car. Aveo is attractive but that all it has going for it.

·
Banned
8,969 Posts
I guess I am a simple man- that interior is way to busy for me! The exterior is typical for Honda. Not a fan of it, I like Mazda better.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts
Sounds like it has nice features, but thats it. That interior drives me crazy. When I think of refinement and top of class features I don't see this.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I agree about the busy unattractive interior. And unless the auto has more than four gears, why bother with 'steering wheel mounted paddle shifters'.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Excellent inside and out, and very well appointed....a shame Chevy does not have the Beat out as competition.
:brick I can’t believe I’m still having to correct people on this:
The Beat is a mini car, not a sub-compact. It only seats 4 people, it only has a 1.0L engine. Even if GM did build it, it wouldn’t be competing with the Fit.

The Fit is 157" long and 66" wide. If GM built the Beat it would be 137" long and 59" wide.

·
Registered
768 Posts
LMAO

Busy interior? Besides it the NAV it has like 6 controls on the dash. And that's busy? It looks very well laid out with some nice style. Although considering Honda's most recent interiors, quality might be suspect.

By the way it has a 5 spd auto.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
The exterior is actually kinda nice.
The interior with the off center screen would drive me bananas.
I agree that the exterior is nice. I do miss the body color headlight inserts that reminded me of the current Corvette. That was the only cool thing about the old exterior design.

The off center screen is a necessary evil due to the narrow confines of the interior. In order to optimize space the center console is made as narrow as possible which makes the full size screen look awkward. In reality it would probably function quite well with the HVAC in a great location. I do agree that it does look a bit off putting.

I guess Honda could have avoided this if they were more creative with the gauge pod and general layout of the dash. At first blush it looks like they tried to shoehorn the dash proportions of a compact into a subcompact body.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
still looks the same to me :)

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
I think the interior and the other upgrades from the first generation model were fantastic.

If it had the body of the current one, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The new one does utterly nothing for me, outside of offending me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts