GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jeep is beefing up its 2005 Liberty lineup, offering a diesel engine and restyling the Renegade as an image leader.

Jeep is getting renewed attention within the Chrysler group as the company broadens existing lines such as the Liberty and adds new models during the next three years.

The 2005 Renegade gains a "more rugged, classic Jeep appearance," the company says, and leads the Liberty lineup. The freshened exterior has offroad foglamps and taillamp guards, a flatter hood, and a taller grille.

The aim is to reach "those who may have longed for a four-door Wrangler," says Jeff Bell, vice president for Jeep marketing.

The 2005 Liberty Sport and Limited models also are updated with a new front fascia, grille and body side moldings. The 2005 models go on sale in the fall.

A 2.8-liter common rail diesel engine equipped with a five-speed automatic transmission is optional on 2005 4x4 Liberty Sport and Limited models. The engine, supplied by VM Motori of Italy, is rated at an estimated 160 hpat 3,800 rpm. Jeep is billing the model as the first mid-sized SUV diesel in the United States and is touting improved fuel economy and reduced emissions.

In the first three months of 2004, Liberty sales climbed 15.4 percent to 42,951 units. Liberty was introduced as a 2002 model. Seventy-five percent of buyers are new to Jeep, the company says.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Notice how the Red & Gold colored jeep front ends are different from each other. I wonder why?

Wait I see; The gold one is the Buff one

May be I should read before I wright :blink:

·
Registered
708 Posts
The 2.8 diesel in the Liberty will make 295 ft/lb at 1800 rpm.
That is quite a beefy little SUV. Imagine after chip swap! :)

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
In response to the Renegade:

Can You Say Ssangyong /Daewoo Musso?

Funny, too....DCX was at one time suing Ssangyong (who actually was at the time partly owned by Mercedes Benz) for styling infringments with Jeep.

That grille is uninspiring. I loved the old style one; with the Jeepster influences.....thank god the base one kept the design.....somewhat.

I've been seeing them running around for some time now, albeit with front end camoflauge.....and this is a dissapointment.

Also funny, but I suppose rational. The CRD is supplied by VM Motori, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Detroit Diesel.....albeit DCX (mainly Dodge) has a strong tie to Cummins.......I don't suppose they make anything around this range of displacement. I have rode in a PT with a VM diesel in it, and it is a rather nice engine for a diesel.

MQ

·
Registered
251 Posts
I think that with those new "flares" make it look like a bumper car...that would be kind of fun but not a hot aspec for Jeeps, or any other brand for that matter. The plastic ones don't look too flattering, either. I think Jeep is better off staying almost the same or something totally new, with the new Grand Cherokee it's too "wishy-washy". It's new, but not really, I think they'd be better off scraping the whole thing and starting over. But, don't take my word you guys probably have better idea than I.

I'm new to this site, you guys know way more than I could ever, and I'm just glad to see all of the GM fans and hear your opinions.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Styling isn't for me and interior is crap but as said before, 295lbft in this punny car... really can't go too wrong! Pssssssssssssssst GM, I wouldn't mind 295lbft in an Equinox :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I'm really curious to see how much better mileage this diesel actually gets. However, all that torque is a magnificant thing with such a small truck.

·
Registered
4,572 Posts
I think I like the old front end better. It really did not need an exterior redo just yet. I mean, look at the original Cherokee, it lasted almost 20 years with just one major facelift. Sometimes a good design is a good design.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts