GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
It looks the same because the L model is just the lengthened version of the existing XJ model. It was created to compete against the BMW 745Li

·
Registered
873 Posts
Originally posted by Rex Raider@Apr 7 2004, 11:52 AM
This is new?

I like Jaguars, but they all look the same year after year, even with complete redesigns.
I think a lot of people, including myself, would agree with you. Jaguars product has been very sterile for quite a while and I think it is hurting their market share. With more modern designs, brands like Cadillac, Lexis, MB, and BMW are pounding Jag. And I'm sure the only way they'll try to rectify this is with some sort of X-type-based SUV. It's a wonder they haven't done that yet.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 7 2004, 12:11 PM
I belive this car is all aluminum.
Indeed, it is.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 7 2004, 07:11 PM
I belive this car is all aluminum.
That's only half the story. Lots of cars are all-aluminum (e.g. the new porker A8). This, OTOH, is bonded and riveted aluminum, which is essentially the same technology used in jet aircraft construction!

That's why the all-aluminum new XJ v8 weighs 3766 lbs, while the smilirily-sized "all aluminum" A8 v8 weighs 4399 lbs!!! And remember the rest of the competition (7, S, etc.) are still mostly steel!!!

The XJ is at least two-generations ahead of everyone else technology wise. The investment in the new construction technology, while nearly bankrupting Jaguar (and Ford), was the best thing they've ever done.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
Cool riveting technology! But why doesn't the XJ=L have two rear TV screens in the front headrests? The XJ8 VP and R have them, so why not the longer one? Do they have other models in the XJ-L range, or is this the only one because that might be why there's no TVs in those pictures.

·
Registered
579 Posts
The LWB version is their bread-and-butter in North America. Many makers (e.g. Audi) don't even sell the short Euro' versions in North America last I checked. You'll probably be able to option it up to VP and R spec.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts