GM Inside News Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts
Originally posted by LGRpup@Apr 5 2004, 12:31 PM
I dont understand the problem with stalk mounted cruise, and I am starting to question if everyone really doesnt like it. I have had vehicals with the cruise on the wheel and on the stalk and it didnt matter to me either way. I think the less clutter on your steering wheel the better, the new Caddy wheel looks cool and doesnt need anymore buttons.
I don't mind the cruise control on the stalk.
I don't know where Mercedes puts their cruise control now... but it used to have a separate stalk all its own. Kind of annoying and never got used to it.

My Saturn had it on the wheel. Not a bad placement. Then there is Jaguar that has it behind the wheel or on the console.. behind the wheel. In either case, it's impossible to manipulate the controls.

Just gimme the cruise on the stalk. I'm happy.

I have a few questions about the STS:
Is conventional cruise control standard equipment?
Does the STS have dual-double sunvisors? (A good feature
when driving on twisting roads in the afternoon)
Does the STS have raise sense wipers as standard equipment?
Has the horsepower of the 3.6 V6 been adjusted downward?
(The first figure was 260 HP. The latest I have seen is 255)

Comment: I hope the Intellibeam feature is not included as part
of any other option. Or, if it is I hope the feature can be
turned off. I want to control my headlights not a computer.

I too hate the stalk mounted cruise control. So much so that I won't buy another GM car that has it! Its' not the fact that it is on a stalk, since other cars have perfectly acceptable stalk mounted systems, but that it has such a peculiar and counterintuitive mode of operation. Using that little flat slider to resume or increase speed involves reaching your left hand around to the other side of the steering wheel to reach it with your thumb or using the fingernail of your left middle finger to snag the slider while keeping your hands on the wheel. I hate it even more when I drive other cars that have better stalk mounted systems or, better yet, steering wheel mounted controls.

I love the CTS but won't buy one until they adopt a better cruise control system. While they are at it, they can add a telescoping steering wheel and a grabhandle in the passenger side headliner like virtually every other car that sells for more than $12K.

Tim :frankie:

Originally posted by tparrott@Apr 13 2004, 01:17 AM
I too hate the stalk mounted cruise control. So much so that I won't buy another GM car that has it! Its' not the fact that it is on a stalk, since other cars have perfectly acceptable stalk mounted systems, but that it has such a peculiar and counterintuitive mode of operation. Using that little flat slider to resume or increase speed involves reaching your left hand around to the other side of the steering wheel to reach it with your thumb or using the fingernail of your left middle finger to snag the slider while keeping your hands on the wheel. I hate it even more when I drive other cars that have better stalk mounted systems or, better yet, steering wheel mounted controls.

I love the CTS but won't buy one until they adopt a better cruise control system. While they are at it, they can add a telescoping steering wheel and a grabhandle in the passenger side headliner like virtually every other car that sells for more than $12K.

Tim :frankie:
I rented a CTS, and it had a very good cruise control. I found that control worked just fine, though the little lever was less than optimal from the standpoint of ease of use. Still, Iliked the system (and the car!) as a whole.

Mercedes still has the best cruise contol controls: a lever that goe up for faster and down for slower. Makes perfect sense.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.