GM Inside News Forum banner
41 - 60 of 69 Posts
Originally posted by cyboexpo2002@Apr 4 2004, 09:40 PM
I think you're asking about what I asked today on another thread. I was told that is a cover for the tow hook.
I might accept that answer if it only made sense. If it is, they could have thought up a less intrusive design.

This car has been growing on me every time I look at it though. And the specs are even more appetizing. Very impressive. If it holds up to it's promise, this car will be a huge success. As for the V-6, I commend them on their dedication to foreign markets. A deisel would help even more, but this was the right move. Anyone who's ever traveled abroad understand this one. And living in CO, the drive system is a HUGE plus. Looks like they're covering all the bases.

j

:) Is there any protection against paint chips along
the sides of the car? The flanks look vulnerable.

I am looking forward to the time we can find out
what options are required with other options....and
what option combinations are not available.

I am also anxious to find out the penalty for insurance
on the V8 versus the V6. I am borderline able to buy
this car and the insuracne costs could make the decision
for me.

When will we be able to see samples of interior colors,
and yes, we know it is difficult to reproduce the colors
accurately.

Lee Hutcheson
Mountain Grove, MO

Originally posted by greazy+Apr 4 2004, 10:04 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (greazy @ Apr 4 2004, 10:04 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-cyboexpo2002@Apr 4 2004, 09:40 PM
I think you're asking about what I asked today on another thread.  I was told that is a cover for the tow hook.
I might accept that answer if it only made sense. If it is, they could have thought up a less intrusive design.

This car has been growing on me every time I look at it though. And the specs are even more appetizing. Very impressive. If it holds up to it's promise, this car will be a huge success. As for the V-6, I commend them on their dedication to foreign markets. A deisel would help even more, but this was the right move. Anyone who's ever traveled abroad understand this one. And living in CO, the drive system is a HUGE plus. Looks like they're covering all the bases.

j[/b][/quote]
His explanation is right, that's what "this square" is there for. It's also there on the SRX. I distinctly remember the Factory Rep asking that question and then being surprised when one of the salesmen knew the answer. Poor design, maybe, but it gets the job done when called upon.

Originally posted by antimathman+Apr 5 2004, 02:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antimathman @ Apr 5 2004, 02:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by greazy@Apr 4 2004, 10:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-cyboexpo2002
@Apr 4 2004, 09:40 PM
I think you're asking about what I asked today on another thread.  I was told that is a cover for the tow hook.

j
His explanation is right, that's what "this square" is there for. It's also there on the SRX. I distinctly remember the Factory Rep asking that question and then being surprised when one of the salesmen knew the answer. Poor design, maybe, but it gets the job done when called upon. [/b][/quote]
I don’t think I would call it a poor design, peculiar maybe, but at the same time its different. I guess I’m just used to the cheaper and less complex under bumper hooks. I would kind of be worried about bumper damage when using it though.

The CTS has the under the bumper hooks, I cant wait untill they go to the the through the fascia design. They require less installation and would make my life easier. I am sure Cadillac isnt the only one using the, through the fascia tie down hook design.

Here is that two-tone interior currently found on the CTS, but in STS spec:

CTS:

STS_1:

(Click Image for High Resolution Image)

STS_2: (Darker Upper Portion to Match original CTS Color Scheme)

(Click Image for High Resolution Image)

For a tow hook it seems pretty small. I would also be concerned about its strength as it isn't hooked directly onto the frame. I would think they are the adaptive cruise control & the adaptive light system, seems more realistic as you have three of them, one next to each light & one on the bumper. Its a damn fine vehicle though, cant wait to see the two tone interior.

Originally posted by Randle2I@Apr 4 2004, 11:34 PM
For a tow hook it seems pretty small. I would also be concerned about its strength as it isn't hooked directly onto the frame. I would think they are the adaptive cruise control & the adaptive light system, seems more realistic as you have three of them, one next to each light & one on the bumper. Its a damn fine vehicle though, cant wait to see the two tone interior.
You pop out the square plug and screw in a hook type rod, which is threaded directly into to the metal bumper/frame. I am pretty sure the main reason for this hook is as an export tie down. The adaptive cruise is where the crest in the grille usually is, it looks cool because its really big and the crest decaled on it looks cartoonish, but not guady(sp). The auto headlights are controlled by a box thats attached to the rearview mirror with an eye in it, and is pretty much hidden by the mirror and the tint strip in the windshield.

Looks good to me. The high res pictures are great. The interior looks good except for the cruise control on the turn signal stalk arrangement. No one likes this system and GM keeps pushing it on us. Also, the door panel to IP fit (the level where the colors change is at different heights) doesn't look the best. I'm sure it's a pre-production problem.

Mark

It cool, I don't think its that unique from the regular sts. I probably wouldn't know the difference if I saw one on the street. But is Rock and Rool, no no. I mean BLING BLING! Snoop Dog should like it.

The new Cadillac styling direction is horrible. It used to be you could tell one Cadillac from another, but not anymore. Cadillac has made a cookie cutter that makes ugly small cars into ugly larger cars and has also managed to hang a mustache and ugly nose onto a Corvette and call it progress!

Whether it is CTS, STS, or ZITS, they are all the same. Ugly. Lincoln has no idea what it is doing and Cadillac has decided to implement a BMW styling strategy of ugly for ugly's sake.

I like Caddy's strategy of competing with BMW by offering the cars with the size
of the 5/7 series but at 3 and 5 series prices. Caddy still has a few things to do
to match BMW. One is getting their 6 speed automatic ready to go. Hopefully
they can introduce it in the '06 model year. This trans is supposed to provide
better gas mileage and performance. BMW will be coming out with new 6 cylinder
engines for ''06. So, Caddy's advantage with the 3.6L will be gone. Hopefully
they have some improvements ready for the high-feature V6 to get more power
out of it. The '06 BMW 3 series will be larger closing the gap to the CTS. If BMW
decides to put their 360HP 4.8L V8 going into the X5 in the 5 and 7 series, Caddy
will need some power improvements to the Northstar.

One thing that disturbed me a little about the STS is,

"On vehicles sold outside North America, the STS will only be equipped with the HID
lighting system as well as a dynamic headlamp leveling system – a feature where the
lens automatically aligns itself to the vertical height of the road based on vehicle pitch."

Why is the leveling feature not available in North America? BMW has done one better
for their 5 series (and probably will be available for the '06 3 series) by having
the headlight also move slightly right/left when making a turn.

Caddy has done a great job in providing new world class cars. If BMW is their target, then
incremental improvements will be needed to stay competitive without having to wait
for the next redesign.

I dont understand the problem with stalk mounted cruise, and I am starting to question if everyone really doesnt like it. I have had vehicals with the cruise on the wheel and on the stalk and it didnt matter to me either way. I think the less clutter on your steering wheel the better, the new Caddy wheel looks cool and doesnt need anymore buttons.

Originally posted by LGRpup@Apr 5 2004, 05:31 PM
I think the less clutter on your steering wheel the better, the new Caddy wheel looks cool and doesnt need anymore buttons.
That's something very smart they're doing: simplify the dash. None of this I-drive/Comand garbage.

Keep it simple, people have reached their limit with too many buttons inside the car.

Originally posted by peccles@Apr 5 2004, 04:49 PM
One thing that disturbed me a little about the STS is,

"On vehicles sold outside North America, the STS will only be equipped with the HID
lighting system as well as a dynamic headlamp leveling system – a feature where the
lens automatically aligns itself to the vertical height of the road based on vehicle pitch."

Why is the leveling feature not available in North America?
I believe it's a regulatory thing. My understanding is that in this country automobile lighting is covered by a patchwork of state regulations. It's tough to make lighting improvements that can be sold in all 50 states.

For some obscure reason, this is one area that's not fully federalized.

Been driving GM since 1975, and when we got our 99 sts, the cruise is on a different stalk, it takes a while to get use to it.I am truck it is like I am on auto pilot to set the crusie.
Once you are use to sometime that works it is hard to change.
If the STS is $75k CDN now will the price go up on the 05?

41 - 60 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.