GM Inside News Forum banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
"a 320-horsepower Northstar 4.6L V-8 in both rear- and all-wheel-drive configurations. Both engines incorporate variable valve timing (VVT) and are mated to widely acclaimed 5-speed automatic transmissions with Driver Shift Control."

Nice! B)

OK, after reading all the Equippment on this car, there is no possible way this vehicle can't be on Car & Driver's 10 best, or MotorTrend's Car of the Year. This car is loaded, I am only afraid that pricing will reach far beyond $60k

My only gripe remaining is the use of a crappy Bose system. It's unfortunate that so many manufacturers have decided to go with Bose because of the perception of sound quality from that company. Lexus is the only one to offer a real high-end sound system it seems.

That said, this is a damn fine automobile, and I would love to own one. I'll take mine in black w/ the AWD V8 setup.

Wow that is an Amazing car. Right now my favorite is still the 5-series but I can see this thing giving it a run for its money.

Good job GM!

Originally posted by mgescuro+Apr 4 2004, 08:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Apr 4 2004, 08:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tkrelston@Apr 4 2004, 02:48 AM
It’s my dream car for the moment, however I am still not sure why GM is offering a V6 in it when the Seville SLS and STS offered V8s exclusively, and now they are trying to take the company upscale. I think a de-tuned V8 would have better set the car above the CTS, and made the car more prestigious.  Now if only GMS discount would make the car the same price as a GTO I’d go for the Caddy.
Because the 5-series and E-class offers V6s... and can be offered at lower prices. And V6's will probably be more acceptable outside the US. [/b][/quote]
I can see the out side the US as a factor for a v6, but to downgrade base hp, and to go from standard V8 in the US seems to me like taking the car down market. And as for cost, the old base Northstar engine is being held onto for the Bonneville GXP, so it would seem to make more sense to split the cost of manufacturing the engine for 2 vehicles rather than just the Pontiac. As for the competition offering V6’s the Standard of the World needs to set the standards, not follow!

On vehicles sold outside North America, the STS will only be equipped with the HID lighting system as well as a dynamic headlamp leveling system – a feature where the lens automatically aligns itself to the vertical height of the road based on vehicle pitch.
There are headlamp levelers, just not in the US :angry:

Originally posted by SJZ3@Apr 4 2004, 04:10 PM
Wow that is an Amazing car. Right now my favorite is still the 5-series but I can see this thing giving it a run for its money.

Good job GM!
When it comes down to it - i.e., you're ready to write a check - the 5-series new styling is sure to give Cadillac a win.

Originally posted by TaHoE@Apr 4 2004, 03:06 PM
This car is loaded, I am only afraid that pricing will reach far beyond $60k
Hey, that's where the competition is.

I was shocked to notice that the 5-series with the 3.0 six (as opposed to the gutless loss-leader 2.5) starts just under 45K, and options out nicely north of 50K. A V8 with the options you just gotta have is nicely north of 60K.

This car can play in this league.

Originally posted by tgagneguam@Apr 4 2004, 05:13 AM

Check out the gaps on the bottom of the doors and the decklid/taillamps. Are these pre-production inaccurracies? Methinks these gaps do not befit a car that, when well-equipped, hangs out in the supra-$60,000 price range.
The gap that's got me bothered is the one at the leading edge of the hood. It's a mile wide, and right up front on the face of the car. Not appealing.

(But, the one at the bottom of the trunk makes sense, given that the bumper's gotta have a little room to move.)

Originally posted by AMcA+Apr 4 2004, 05:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (AMcA @ Apr 4 2004, 05:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TaHoE@Apr 4 2004, 03:06 PM
This car is loaded, I am only afraid that pricing will reach far beyond $60k
Hey, that's where the competition is.

I was shocked to notice that the 5-series with the 3.0 six (as opposed to the gutless loss-leader 2.5) starts just under 45K, and options out nicely north of 50K. A V8 with the options you just gotta have is nicely north of 60K.

This car can play in this league. [/b][/quote]
Actually on relatively recent trips to my dealer I never saw a 525i going for less than 49k (and most were above 50k) and the cheapest I saw a 530i was for 52k, with one being around 57k. I would expect to see 545i's on the lots for at a minimum of 60k, and loaded probably 65k. I didn't see any when I was there though.

All were automatics which was a shame.

If the STS can match the 5er for driving dynamics it could easily sell on its different style and better options list. I am so glad to see another car out there with a 5.1 surround sound system (Acura TL being the first that I know of?). I hope that is something that starts trickling down to cheaper cars.

As for the 5er...personally for me there is nothing sweeter than a BMW I6. B)

I am biased though.

Originally posted by LegendNH@Apr 4 2004, 07:11 PM
edit: while I'm at it, why is there a square like indent in the left hand side of not only the STS but all other cars? What does it do?
They only appear on the new Cadillacs from GM, but I have noticed they are also on BMWs, and MB. I have often wondered that as well, but have never been able to find out.

Originally posted by tkrelston+Apr 4 2004, 08:13 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (tkrelston @ Apr 4 2004, 08:13 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LegendNH@Apr 4 2004, 07:11 PM
edit: while I'm at it, why is there a square like indent in the left hand side of not only the STS but all other cars? What does it do?
They only appear on the new Cadillacs from GM, but I have noticed they are also on BMWs, and MB. I have often wondered that as well, but have never been able to find out. [/b][/quote]
the square indent is a panel that can be removed and it gives access to lower the spare tire, at least that is what it is intended to do... On the '04 CTS, they have it on the... right hand side I beleive, but it's just for show, it doesn't do anything functional on the CTS. Supposedly they but it on there to emulate Mercedes, but either way, it's funny to me.

The car is very hot. When I saw the first pics several weeks ago I wasnt quite impressed but I am now. This is one of the best looking sedans in the segment if you ask me. Looks good inside and out and it has plenty of technology.

Originally posted by antimathman+Apr 4 2004, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antimathman @ Apr 4 2004, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by tkrelston@Apr 4 2004, 08:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LegendNH
@Apr 4 2004, 07:11 PM

They only appear on the new Cadillacs from GM, but I have noticed they are also on BMWs, and MB. I have often wondered that as well, but have never been able to find out.
the square indent is a panel that can be removed and it gives access to lower the spare tire, at least that is what it is intended to do... On the '04 CTS, they have it on the... right hand side I beleive, but it's just for show, it doesn't do anything functional on the CTS. Supposedly they but it on there to emulate Mercedes, but either way, it's funny to me. [/b][/quote]
Oh I hadn’t noticed the one on the rear, I was referring to the one on the front of the vehicles.

Originally posted by LegendNH@Apr 4 2004, 02:11 PM
what are those four circular holes in the bumper? They make the car look ugly

The "circular holes" are for the Rear Parking Assist System. They appear on practically every single premium car. Escalade and SRX have them. Even the current DTS has them.

What "Square like indent?" You mean the squares on either side of the grille in front? Headlight washers.

Originally posted by mgescuro+Apr 4 2004, 09:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Apr 4 2004, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LegendNH@Apr 4 2004, 02:11 PM
what are those four circular holes in the bumper? They make the car look ugly

The "circular holes" are for the Rear Parking Assist System. They appear on practically every single premium car. Escalade and SRX have them. Even the current DTS has them.

What "Square like indent?" You mean the squares on either side of the grille in front? Headlight washers. [/b][/quote]
THIS SQUARE

Not the headlight washers!

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.