GM Inside News Forum banner

NYIAS-Cadillac STS Overview

14K views 68 replies 37 participants last post by  AMcA 
It’s my dream car for the moment, however I am still not sure why GM is offering a V6 in it when the Seville SLS and STS offered V8s exclusively, and now they are trying to take the company upscale. I think a de-tuned V8 would have better set the car above the CTS, and made the car more prestigious. Now if only GMS discount would make the car the same price as a GTO I’d go for the Caddy.

Originally posted by mgescuro+Apr 4 2004, 08:11 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Apr 4 2004, 08:11 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-tkrelston@Apr 4 2004, 02:48 AM
It’s my dream car for the moment, however I am still not sure why GM is offering a V6 in it when the Seville SLS and STS offered V8s exclusively, and now they are trying to take the company upscale. I think a de-tuned V8 would have better set the car above the CTS, and made the car more prestigious.  Now if only GMS discount would make the car the same price as a GTO I’d go for the Caddy.
Because the 5-series and E-class offers V6s... and can be offered at lower prices. And V6's will probably be more acceptable outside the US. [/b][/quote]
I can see the out side the US as a factor for a v6, but to downgrade base hp, and to go from standard V8 in the US seems to me like taking the car down market. And as for cost, the old base Northstar engine is being held onto for the Bonneville GXP, so it would seem to make more sense to split the cost of manufacturing the engine for 2 vehicles rather than just the Pontiac. As for the competition offering V6’s the Standard of the World needs to set the standards, not follow!

Originally posted by LegendNH@Apr 4 2004, 07:11 PM
edit: while I'm at it, why is there a square like indent in the left hand side of not only the STS but all other cars? What does it do?
They only appear on the new Cadillacs from GM, but I have noticed they are also on BMWs, and MB. I have often wondered that as well, but have never been able to find out.

Originally posted by antimathman+Apr 4 2004, 08:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antimathman @ Apr 4 2004, 08:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by tkrelston@Apr 4 2004, 08:13 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-LegendNH
@Apr 4 2004, 07:11 PM
edit: while I'm at it, why is there a square like indent in the left hand side of not only the STS but all other cars? What does it do?

They only appear on the new Cadillacs from GM, but I have noticed they are also on BMWs, and MB. I have often wondered that as well, but have never been able to find out.
the square indent is a panel that can be removed and it gives access to lower the spare tire, at least that is what it is intended to do... On the '04 CTS, they have it on the... right hand side I beleive, but it's just for show, it doesn't do anything functional on the CTS. Supposedly they but it on there to emulate Mercedes, but either way, it's funny to me. [/b][/quote]
Oh I hadn’t noticed the one on the rear, I was referring to the one on the front of the vehicles.

Originally posted by mgescuro+Apr 4 2004, 09:02 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (mgescuro @ Apr 4 2004, 09:02 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LegendNH@Apr 4 2004, 02:11 PM
what are those four circular holes in the bumper? They make the car look ugly

The "circular holes" are for the Rear Parking Assist System. They appear on practically every single premium car. Escalade and SRX have them. Even the current DTS has them.

What "Square like indent?" You mean the squares on either side of the grille in front? Headlight washers. [/b][/quote]
THIS SQUARE

Not the headlight washers!

Originally posted by antimathman+Apr 5 2004, 02:09 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (antimathman @ Apr 5 2004, 02:09 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by greazy@Apr 4 2004, 10:04 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-cyboexpo2002
@Apr 4 2004, 09:40 PM
I think you're asking about what I asked today on another thread.  I was told that is a cover for the tow hook.

I might accept that answer if it only made sense. If it is, they could have thought up a less intrusive design.

This car has been growing on me every time I look at it though. And the specs are even more appetizing. Very impressive. If it holds up to it's promise, this car will be a huge success. As for the V-6, I commend them on their dedication to foreign markets. A deisel would help even more, but this was the right move. Anyone who's ever traveled abroad understand this one. And living in CO, the drive system is a HUGE plus. Looks like they're covering all the bases.

j
His explanation is right, that's what "this square" is there for. It's also there on the SRX. I distinctly remember the Factory Rep asking that question and then being surprised when one of the salesmen knew the answer. Poor design, maybe, but it gets the job done when called upon. [/b][/quote]
I don’t think I would call it a poor design, peculiar maybe, but at the same time its different. I guess I’m just used to the cheaper and less complex under bumper hooks. I would kind of be worried about bumper damage when using it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.