1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
I take it you have a new toy?! Congrats! And wow - amazingly low miles. What are your plans for it? Keep it low miles or daily driver?

I'd send you all of my wife's cassette tapes as a present to listen to in your new ride, but she'd kill me if she ever realized they are gone. :D :D :D (got rid of mine long ago).

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I take it you have a new toy?! Congrats! And wow - amazingly low miles. What are your plans for it? Keep it low miles or daily driver?
When my sister's available, we're gonna roll into the shows with both the XR4Ti and Scorpio and freak everyone out!!
Otherwise, I'll pick one.

This car is going to Nationals next year. I expect it to dominate...
it's almost certainly the best survivor Scorpio in the world.
It came out of nowhere, been in hiding for its whole life. No one knew about it until now. It's time to shine!

I'm all over the Interwebs with my stuff, so it's about to become the World's Most Famous Scorpio!

My XR4Ti has been perfectly capable of chewing up your cassettes for years.
I play the radio... not brave enough to stick anything in there.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 320i; 1972 Chevy Nova
3,488 Posts
Wow! The MSRP for that particular Scorpio comes to $59,651 in 2020 dollars. :eek:

Congratulations eaton53 on your latest acquisition of a fine German motor car. :tup::

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Wow! The MSRP for that particular Scorpio comes to $59,651 in 2020 dollars. :eek:

Congratulations eaton53 on your latest acquisition of a fine German motor car. :tup::
Yeah, Scorpios were really expensive. It was also the old Escalade / Mk1 SRX thing, but much earlier.
Leisure suit, white belt and white shoe wearin' Lincoln sales guy comes out.

"Why do you want that little one when you can get this Town Car over here for the same money?"
Or, "Why buy that when we've got this Mercury Sable over here for a lot less? It's front wheel drive, good in snow!"

Never had a chance...
Can't wait to try out those seats. They look COMFY.

·
Registered
17,260 Posts
When my sister's available, we're gonna roll into the shows with both the XR4Ti and Scorpio and freak everyone out!!
Otherwise, I'll pick one.

This car is going to Nationals next year. I expect it to dominate...
it's almost certainly the best survivor Scorpio in the world.
It came out of nowhere, been in hiding for its whole life. No one knew about it until now. It's time to shine!

I'm all over the Interwebs with my stuff, so it's about to become the World's Most Famous Scorpio!

My XR4Ti has been perfectly capable of chewing up your cassettes for years.
I play the radio... not brave enough to stick anything in there.
Enjoy! Really cool find and amazingly cheap for what it is with such low miles. It's like a time capsule. Do you know additional details about the owner, as in how did it end up with low miles?

·
Registered
7,871 Posts
They were rare when new and only sold for 2 model years, so ultra-rear in that condition now - in Europe, the Scorpio was regarded as inferior to GM's Opel Senator but neither were real competitors to the other German premium brands.

Enjoy - don't be afraid to use it, much better than keeping it as a museum piece.

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Enjoy! Really cool find and amazingly cheap for what it is with such low miles. It's like a time capsule. Do you know additional details about the owner, as in how did it end up with low miles?
The story is that it was originally given to a Ford honcho, who didn't drive it much.
Then it ended up with a collector, who kept it hidden away (in a good environment, obviously) for many years.
That's how it survived the '90's "Can't Get Parts" era of Merkur.
Collector gets old and liquidates his collection at a small auction.
Pennant Motors buys it with the sole intention of putting it on Cars and Bids.

I win it at Cars and Bids. Was not going to be beat, my number was "Whatever It Takes".
I think Pennant Motors made a killing on this one.

Enjoy - don't be afraid to use it, much better than keeping it as a museum piece.
It's a show / cruise in car, like my XR4Ti. It'll get driven about 1K miles a year.
It's main job is holding down Megapole!
If you don't know what Megapole is, click the Car Show Season link in my sig.

The Scorpio guys at Merkur Club of America are going gaga over it.
It is beyond Ultra-Rare, as in there are NO others like this.
This was a completely unknown example... a barn find that wasn't in a barn!
And now it's In Da Club!

:Club:

·
Registered
454 Posts
I would like to look in the eyes of someone who came up with Merkur name when Mercury was sold at the same time.
My friend recently sold his last gen Scorpio (low mileage, top trim with V6 Cosworth engine) for... 750 Euro.
Enyoy Yours and congratulations!

Very cool!

I expect Doug will showcase this on the next Cars and Bids video.
Hopefully, I would love to watch it.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
12,008 Posts
That's impressive, congrats on the new ride. It's been well taken care of and from what I've gleaned in these pages it will continue to be well cared for. :)

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
Very cool!

I expect Doug will showcase this on the next Cars and Bids video.
Doug was pretty excited about it.

That's impressive, congrats on the new ride. It's been well taken care of and from what I've gleaned in these pages it will continue to be well cared for. :)
I've had my XR4Ti since 2015 and it's better now than when I got it.

Keep us posted if there are any youtube videos!
IDK if there will be any videos... I don't make them.
But there are TONS of pics all over the Interwebs, plus the Car Show Season thread on the MCA Board which has almost 28K page views.
With all of the photos coming next year, I expect it to get a lot more.

·
Registered
20,367 Posts
Yeah, Scorpios were really expensive. It was also the old Escalade / Mk1 SRX thing, but much earlier.
Leisure suit, white belt and white shoe wearin' Lincoln sales guy comes out.

"Why do you want that little one when you can get this Town Car over here for the same money?"
Or, "Why buy that when we've got this Mercury Sable over here for a lot less? It's front wheel drive, good in snow!"

Never had a chance...
Can't wait to try out those seats. They look COMFY.
My F-I-L had one, he bought it off another guy at Ford, when he worked there, I had worked on many XT4Ti's at the Ford Dealership, but never a Scorpio.

He says to me one day, "It's got an oil leak, smoking can you take a look?" When we popped the hood, I was like, WTF!? I thought it was just a re-badged Taurus/Sable, but after we opened the hood, it looked like a Ranger (Longitudinal 2.9L V6) "Ah, no wonder" I said, "those stupid valve-cover gaskets!" :mad:

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My F-I-L had one, he bought it off another guy at Ford, when he worked there, I had worked on many XT4Ti's at the Ford Dealership, but never a Scorpio.

He says to me one day, "It's got an oil leak, smoking can you take a look?" When we popped the hood, I was like, WTF!? I thought it was just a re-badged Taurus/Sable, but after we opened the hood, it looked like a Ranger (Longitudinal 2.9L V6) "Ah, no wonder" I said, "those stupid valve-cover gaskets!" :mad:
It is a Ranger under there!
I expect it to leak something... it's a 31 year old Merkur!!
My XR4Ti leaves a drip on the floor here and there from "somewhere", not enough to worry about.

Reactions: Ed753

·
Registered
10,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

Yes, it did leak... guess where?
Not anymore... I had my ace mechanic go through the car with a fine-toothed comb as if I hadn't bought it yet.
Here it is… it finally made it to my driveway after 2.5 months.

I will now look out my window and wait for Spring.

·
Registered
9,406 Posts
Yes, it did leak... guess where?
Not anymore... I had my ace mechanic go through the car with a fine-toothed comb as if I hadn't bought it yet.
Here it is… it finally made it to my driveway after 2.5 months.

I will now look out my window and wait for Spring.
interesting timing with this "revival"
today in front of me was an Eagle Premier driving white outside GOLD inside and looked MINT

1 - 20 of 36 Posts