GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts
5,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just went to CNN.Money and spotted GM in my last '10 Quotes' section. I notice GM is trading at around $17.00 a share. That is near it's 52-week low, and just below the $18 a share before Kerkorkian tried his little coop last year.

Doing more research it is near its previous lows during the last oil crisis' in 1974 and 1982. So could this be a good time to buy? If you are bullish, I would say so. If you have a short position on GM, you may be nearing your limits on your position.

http://money.cnn.com/quote/quote.html?symb=GM

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
If you buy at this point, you may be in for a nice treat come 2010. Once GM becomes profitable again you may notice a swift jump. So my thinking is, why not?

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
It's really near a 25 year low.
That's why I bought 100 shares. I don't believe GM will go much lower. And I believe GM will begin a run by sometime late next year.

I'm not bullish on GM in the short term, but GM should perform well, if you're willing to wait 2-3 years to see a return. Also, I have faith that their strategy, while being enacted at a snail's pace, is the right one.

·
Registered
861 Posts
I made a good 40% off GM in from ~27 to ~38... I'd love to get back into GM again given the difference in price now. I'm just not convinced the fortunes of my favorite automaker will outrun the gloom on broader economic horizon. GM needs NA to spinoff cash to fund its global competitiveness. Right now the global ops are keeping the company afloat. As long as NA is losing $, I think GM's in a tough spot. That said, the upcoming cost savings will help.

Tough call.

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Let's hope the old saying is true and that it is always darkest before the dawn.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Although tempting GM has a recent history of poor execution of product...slowness to respond to shifting markets...there could be significant downside risk to this stock...with consumers reeling from higher food and gas prices we could be seeing a seachange in the automobile business with GM always one step behind.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
How do I go about to buy $5000 worth of this stock? I got cash check what ever. I been waiting for this. SORRY GM

·
Registered
279 Posts
This bad boy is overpriced at $17. If you think it's bottomed out now, just wait for a few more months of -30% in truck sales. The full extent of this slide is yet to be realized.

I see sub $10 on the horizon.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
gonna watch this closely. I was wishing I could've gotten in on this last time this happened but didn't.....

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
This bad boy is overpriced at $17. If you think it's bottomed out now, just wait for a few more months of -30% in truck sales. The full extent of this slide is yet to be realized.

Exactly.

I would not touch GM stock with a 10 ft pole until the bleeding has stopped. By then, it probably will be slightly less cheap, but it will be an incredibly safer bet.

I'm watching the stock, but won't invest in GM until the results of their "recovery" are visible.

·
Registered
8,861 Posts
Of course, the decision to buy a stock is more complicated than whether or not it's at a historic low. There are other factors to consider: is there upside, for example? If you think there is, then buy it. If the current price is appropriately valued, then no. And if you're in Vlad's camp, clearly the answer would be no.

Day traders could have fun. Though a few day traders post from time to time on this site about their "ballsy" move in buying GM at various prices. I seem to recall someone buying in at $23. Of course, mum's the word from him presently.

For those like me who like a boring, though admittedly successful, strategy like dollar-cost averaging, I think I'll pass. Of course, one of my mutual funds apparently bought into GM at $19/share. Oh joy!

·
Registered
781 Posts

At sub $10 that will value GM at about $6bn. I wonder when SAIC will bid?

·
Registered
279 Posts
At sub $10 that will value GM at about $6bn. I wonder when SAIC will bid?
That's the elephant in the room. The lower this goes, the more likely someone will swoop in and take it all. And when it gets low enough, no amount of Rick telling the board to reject it will stop it from happening.

·
Registered
44,165 Posts
As long as NA is losing $, I think GM's in a tough spot. That said, the upcoming cost savings will help.

Tough call.
I agree. it is really a tough call. But I believe the risk will pay off in the long run. You just need to be able to sustain short term losses.

And there is significant upside to this stock. The risk is whether you believe GM is at or near the floor.

Just go into the investment with eyes open and aware of their situation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think if the economy continues to struggle we might see it dip further, but at $17.00 I'd say if you are in it for the long haul of at least 5 years its a good buy.

·
Banned
2,364 Posts
historically GM under 20 is a buy. trouble now is the financials are disclosed as having material weaknesses in internal control. that aside, the $1 annual dividend is providing a floor to the share price. the cost is $600 Million/yr. should the Board suspend payment, the stock drops below $10 fast.

GM stock is sort of like the American dollar today, nothing to support it and quickly losing value. how any investor could place confidence in a management with this track record is beyond imagination. what is it they say about a fool and his money? spin, sell , cut, close, borrow...a recipe for BK if you ask me.

1 - 20 of 176 Posts