GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
North American Car and Truck of the Year contenders announced

A panel of automotive journalists has narrowed the field for the 2009 North American Car and Truck of the Year contenders to just 14 cars and 12 trucks and SUVs that were deemed new and noteworthy enough to be considered for the prestigious award. The winners, which will all be on sale to the public by the time the award is presented, will be announced at the 2009 North American International Auto Show in Detroit in January.

The award’s 2008 winners were the Chevrolet Malibu and the Mazda CX-9.

Contenders for 2009 Car of the Year include:

Audi A4
BMW 1-Series
Cadillac CTS-V
Dodge Challenger
Ford Flex
Honda Fit
Hyundai Genesis
Jaguar XF
Lincoln MKS
Mazda Mazda6
Nissan GT-R
Pontiac G8
Toyota Venza
Volkswagen Jetta TDI

And the contenders for the 2009 Truck of the Year include:

BMW X6
Chevrolet Traverse
Dodge Ram
Ford F-150
Honda Pilot
Infiniti FX 35/50
Kia Borrego
Mercedes-Benz ML320 BlueTec
Nissan Murano
Saturn Vue Hybrid
Subaru Forester
Volkswagen Tiguan

http://www.leftlanenews.com/north-american-car-and-truck-of-the-year-contenders-announced.html

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
My picks: Ram, CTS-V
Likely winners: I think the Vue has a chance and the media types are in love with the GT-R, so it's probably a shoe-in.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
My prediction:

Car 2009 = Hyundai Genesis
Truck 2009 = Dodge Ram

·
Registered
8,971 Posts
I think if you're going to pick based on the models that make the biggest changes or new trends, these would be your finalists:

Car:
Hyundai Genesis (Hyundai proves it can build a competent $35,000 sedan.)
Jaguar XF (Jaguar gives its most competitive and beautiful sedan in decades.)
Mazda6 (Mazda has a legitimate shot at best-in-class midsize sedan.)
Nissan GT-R (Now the Corvette Z06 is not the only exotic-fighter to come from outside Europe)

Truck:
Dodge Ram (For the first time in decades you can have a competent half ton with a truly comfortable ride, at least in theory.)
Mercedes ML-320 (A fuel efficient, adequately fast diesel SUV. Before now, only the Liberty diesel qualified, and it's dead.)
Saturn Vue Hybrid (There's a new king of the SUV hybrid hill in town.)

I think I would give the wins to the Genesis and Vue Hybrid.

·
Registered
667 Posts
My personal selections:

Car: Lincoln MKS or Jaguar XF . . . it's a tough call

Truck: Dodge Ram or Ford F-150, again, a tough one

On another note, why is the Ford Flex classed as a car and the Subaru Forester as a truck?

We really are going to have to define what constitutes a car, a truck and the difference between them.

·
Registered
615 Posts
I think if you're going to pick based on the models that make the biggest changes or new trends, these would be your finalists:

Car:
Hyundai Genesis (Hyundai proves it can build a competent $35,000 sedan.)
Jaguar XF (Jaguar gives its most competitive and beautiful sedan in decades.)
Mazda6 (Mazda has a legitimate shot at best-in-class midsize sedan.)
Nissan GT-R (Now the Corvette Z06 is not the only exotic-fighter to come from outside Europe)

Truck:
Dodge Ram (For the first time in decades you can have a competent half ton with a truly comfortable ride, at least in theory.)
Mercedes ML-320 (A fuel efficient, adequately fast diesel SUV. Before now, only the Liberty diesel qualified, and it's dead.)
Saturn Vue Hybrid (There's a new king of the SUV hybrid hill in town.)

I think I would give the wins to the Genesis and Vue Hybrid.
Good summary but I'm having a hard time finding anything here that will have an notable impact on the industry. I guess they have to pick something so I'll go with:

Genesis: could mark the beginning of the end for Japanese luxury vehicle profit

Ram: making the pickup a more mainstream utility vehicle (ram box, better ride/handling, etc)

·
Registered
4,822 Posts
My "All Reich" winners are:

Car: Audi A4

Truck: ML320 BlueTec

I'm not saying I agree, but if I'm putting down money....

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
HONDA FIT?!?!?!:eek:
Don't laugh - I consider the Fit to be best in class.

I think it's a tough field this year. No super standouts, but a lot of great vehicles.

My guesses (but not favorites)...

Car: Genesis - Kind of a new class; a luxury car for the masses.

Truck: Dodge Ram - A fairly large step forward in a class known for baby steps.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
HONDA FIT?!?!?!:eek:
Giggle into the back of your hand if you want to, but the Fit has some pretty amazing engineering and design elements. I don't think it deserves to win necessarily, but it is worth nominating.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm confused as to how a crossover suv gets to be considered a truck. An suv I can understand because of the towing capabilities...

My picks are the challenger and the ram. Maybe I'm just picking based on looks though :)

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Don't laugh - I consider the Fit to be best in class.

I think it's a tough field this year. No super standouts, but a lot of great vehicles.

My guesses (but not favorites)...

Car: Genesis - Kind of a new class; a luxury car for the masses.

Truck: Dodge Ram - A fairly large step forward in a class known for baby steps.
Giggle into the back of your hand if you want to, but the Fit has some pretty amazing engineering and design elements. I don't think it deserves to win necessarily, but it is worth nominating.
I just thought that the Fit was introduced last year, not this year.

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
My prediction:

Car 2009 = Hyundai Genesis
Truck 2009 = Dodge Ram
You're probably right. I forgot all about the genesis. But, i think the Vue has a fighting chance. There's going to be a push to pick a vehicle with good fuel economy. That means the ram and probably the borego are out. The x6 is just too strange. If nothing else though, I think the Vue will make it to the second round.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts