GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am driving a 2005 Silverado Z-71 with the aluminum block 5.3 L

I want to add a cold air intake, and possibly a power programmer.

All the programmers I have looked into are for the 285 H.P. Iron-block engines.
There is nothing stated about the H.O. Aluminum block engines like I have.

The manufacturers say it will work just as good on my engine, I have a problem believing their statements since this engine produces higher H.P. ratings out of the box then their iron-cored cousins.

To date all I have done to this truck is add a flowmaster cat-back exhaust that exits on the passenfer side, with a 40-series muffler. I gained 3 MPG on the highway and a nice rumble when I am into the accelerator.

I have a set of Pro-comp's X-Treme tires on it that are stock dimensions and I do some towing with it.

I would like to add a cold air intake to let it breath a little better, and a programmer to optimize my shifting, and maybe add a few MPG, and allow less slippage between shifts.

What works for this engine/trans combo? what doesn't??

I have not seen fuel for less than $4.00 for months in this area.

Thanks in advance for any info you can offer

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
I'm in a similar situation.

Because the 8th digit of the vin number on my truck is 0, the only programmers that actually help fuel economy and power only work on premium fuel...and it's only 12 horsepower.

I'm reluctant to spend that kind of money for 12 horsepower that will take premium fuel to get.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Now see the manufacturers I contacted didn't even ask for a VIN number,
So this makes me real suspicious of a programmer is even equipped to handle the correct fuel/timing curves for this engine. I bet I would lose efficiency and power if they sell me a box for the stock 285 H.P. iron-block engines.

Your tagline of "I want to own a corvette before I die"

Come buy mine!! it is a 1975, White, red interior,

it is a sleeper, I still have the original engine (Numbers match) that I rehabed and is in storage. The engine that I have in it is a late 80's 4-bolt at 10-1 compression, 750 CFM mechanical secondaries, Headers 3" dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's and gets a whopping 4.5 MPG on a good day. MSD ignition with the 6AL box. it dynoed at a mild 436 H.P. on 89 octane pump fuel.
It is backed up with a TH-400 that is completely bulletproofed, Solid motor mounts,
This engine is so peaky you'll need to keep a jet kit with you for any 20 degree temp swing. 30 minutes of driving this car and you are physically exhausted. It is uncomfortable, Hot, & Loud.

I am considering an EFI system that resembles the old hilborn mechanical systems but woth all the sensors and self metering.

·
Premium Member
3,282 Posts
The gain in H.P. from the 285 HP 5.3L to the 295 HP 5.3L came from the addition of electric fans that replace the traditional mechanical ones. I don't think the block material had anything to do with h.p. gains. Besides, I thought the 5.3L had an iron block until the GMT900's came out for 07 MY. I could be wrong...someone else have inputs? Are the heads, cams or compression ratio differerent among the GMT800 5.3L engines?

·
Registered
10,431 Posts
The gain in H.P. from the 285 HP 5.3L to the 295 HP 5.3L came from the addition of electric fans that replace the traditional mechanical ones. I don't think the block material had anything to do with h.p. gains. Besides, I thought the 5.3L had an iron block until the GMT900's came out for 07 MY. I could be wrong...someone else have inputs? Are the heads, cams or compression ratio differerent among the GMT800 5.3L engines?
Mine is an 07 and I think I have the iron block. A lot of Tahoes and Suburbans have that too.

Come buy mine!! it is a 1975, White, red interior,

it is a sleeper, I still have the original engine (Numbers match) that I rehabed and is in storage. The engine that I have in it is a late 80's 4-bolt at 10-1 compression, 750 CFM mechanical secondaries, Headers 3" dual exhaust with flowmaster 40's and gets a whopping 4.5 MPG on a good day. MSD ignition with the 6AL box. it dynoed at a mild 436 H.P. on 89 octane pump fuel.
It is backed up with a TH-400 that is completely bulletproofed, Solid motor mounts,
This engine is so peaky you'll need to keep a jet kit with you for any 20 degree temp swing. 30 minutes of driving this car and you are physically exhausted. It is uncomfortable, Hot, & Loud.

I am considering an EFI system that resembles the old hilborn mechanical systems but woth all the sensors and self metering.
I'll pass...gotta save for grad school.

·
Registered
21,375 Posts
Mr. Narry Hut-sack, I must ask, what is it that you are looking for - HP or MPG?

I understand they are not mutually exclusive, but only to a point ..............

Spending thousands so you can save a few bucks in gas seems a little counter-productive, unless of course you get a nice rumble out of the tail-pipe..........

Drive it like you stole it and your gas mileage will stink............

Drive it like it doesn't have any brakes, and you'll be amazed .......

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went with the K&N FIPK intake with the plastic tube, And I noticed a solid 2.5-2.75 increase in fuel economy acros the board with & without the trailer behind me.

It is noticably louder with the intake noise when you need to climb a hill or any other throttle opening above 50%. Overall I am very impressed with the increase for the small amount of money spent. Install time?? About 15 minutes.

Smith;
The MY05 aluminum block is rated at 325-BHP, it is referred to as the 5.3 liter H.O. by GM and thier dealers.

I think it is a bit more than the parasitic loss from accessory pulleys to free up an extra 40 HP in the same displacement engine.

I bet we have some different heads, maybe some engine management parameters are different too.

Back in early 2005 (before fuel got outrageous) I was considering adding a whipple twin-screw supercharger to this truck (now were talking fun) and whipple did not have the ECM tweaks available for this engine at the time, But they had it for the iron block! so that also leads me to believe it is more than just a few accessories not being turned by the crank.

·
Registered
133 Posts
'06 L33 HO aluminum block and heads 310 hp, elect fans. It has more cam and higher compression, special heads (ZO6 design) and flat top pistons. Aluminum block saves 100 pounds. Available only on ext cab Z-71. I love mine.

IMO, all this motor needs is rid of torque management.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts