GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok, since there were mixed feelings about a retro-bird, i've decided to take the plunge and let the 4th gen evolve instead of mixing it with retro design...
photoshop quality is not so good as previous shops but its about the design right?
check it out: (ill be doing the rear end later on)
ps. I had fun making the banshee!

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/Manoah2u/designs/transam.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/Manoah2u/designs/banshee.jpg
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n261/Manoah2u/designs/spider.jpg

I kept it on the zeta platform thus its still sharing the same one as camaro, but still very different. used G6 rooftop for a way different look then the camaro....

·
Registered
3,358 Posts
Re: Non-Retro 2009 5th Gen Firebird Concept

Not bad, i like the front

·
Registered
3,222 Posts

Not bad, but there's something about the headlights I don't like. Also, the gen 4 has been dead long enough that an an evolution of it's style might still be considered retro.

·
Registered
2,865 Posts

great job. there is something about the front end tho. not sure if i like it or not

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
8,886 Posts
Re: Non-Retro 2009 5th Gen Firebird Concept (updated)

Ugh. No. Ugly.

Take the 3rd Gen TA and look at some Ferarris to see where it might best be to take it. Or, take a look at some modern Alfa Romeos -- they have a Pontiac look to them, methinks.

I do understand not wanting to go retro, but go classic. That's what Pontiac should be about. Classicly styled cars, but not retro nor boring. Hence th Alfa Romeo mention. For example:

I'm not 100% fond of the way this Alfa looks, but it's classical, classy, and what Pontiac needs in terms of style.

Cross the Alfas with Ferraris such as the 599 and you'll have something.

·
Registered
2,763 Posts

I like the one in post number 11 best. Definently cool looking w/ Ram Air hood.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ok, i've tried it for the very last time now, gave it a bit of a solstice styling to it, thus creating a all-new firebird with no design connections to the previous generations (except for paint scheme's)...you may like it or not, but i've tried keeping the present pontiac-look into the car, while still looking like a firebird sportscar....it's hard to tell this is still on the camaro zeta platform and goes a way different way then camaro...I even dare saying there is a little bit of supersportscar in there....

anyway, a picture says more then a thousand words, so here are 3:
Firebird GXP 427 SD (T/A replacement), Firebird Formula, Firebird Convertible

hope to see some comments!

·
Registered
818 Posts
I definately perfer the second version, the last version looks too tame to be a bird. But it could still be one if thats the road pontiac wanted to take. Now the top one is a supercar. Call it a Banshee and let it blow the doors off everything.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
I really like the first two examples of the Solstice style. The convertable, however, somehow doesn't look aggressive enough and comes off as just a bigger Solstice. Overall, those chops are much cleaner than the first set.

·
Registered
343 Posts
I like the last version except the bottom-feeder grilles. The orange coupe is a sweet, clean design ... but it's suffering from 1997 Pontiac Grand Prix-itis. It works on the Solstice, sure, but that's because the grilles take up all of the lower fascia and there isn't enough space between the hood cut line and the grilles to build a Starbucks on.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts