GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GENEVA - Turning the Chevrolet Nomad concept car into a production model may not be the slam-dunk that many observers thought after its debut at the Detroit auto show in January.

Last week, General Motors announced that it will build a sporty sibling of the Nomad for Saturn on the new rear-wheel-drive Kappa architecture.

The company has said that the two-seat Pontiac Solstice, another Kappa car, will go on sale in the 2006 model year.

But GM has not decided to build the Nomad, said CEO Rick Wagoner. The car, which is on display at the Geneva auto show, received strong attention in Detroit. But overall the car has received mixed reviews, he said.

"A lot of the auto writers and buff books really liked it, but the general perception from interviews at the (Detroit) show was not as good," Wagoner said. Full Article

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
:angry: It is just like GM to screw Chevy fans again! The nomad would sell as many as the limited production Solstice. GM's lack of commonsense is shocking. If I can't get a Nomad at all or a camaro (or Chevelle) before 2009, I'll be buying a Mustang or Magnum. Come on, Show a little intestinal fortitude, take a freaking chance!

BUILD THE NOMAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Not EVERYONE liked the CTS, Not EVERYONE liked the CIEN, not EVERYONE liked the Vizion, I could go on and on. Isn't this a niche car? Therefore not EVERYONE is supposed to like it...GM, grow some balls and do something that stands out for once!! (and make it look good like the Nomad, not something that stands out like a soar thumb like the Aztec).

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Not everyone has to like a limited production car. Duh. That's the whole point of the Kappa scheme.

I recently heard from an insider type that production of the Nomad was pretty much a foregone conclusion.

I just hope this is all part of Chevy just jerking us around so that we're all absolutely elated when they finally say yes.

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
God forbid if GM listened to the consumers. Both the Curve and Nomad are not very attractive IMO. I think the decision to build the Curve was more out of need than the Nomad. Saturn has nothing going for it product wise right now except a Honda powered SUV. Chevrolet has a lot of good hardware in the pipes that makes the need for a Nomad less important. The Nomad is really very much like the HHR in terms of packaging. Both are retro four seaters.

I would much rather see the return of the Camaro than any Nomad product.

Mark

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Just like the Solstice was never 2 make it in2 production...right right...whatever. A great big plant with just 1 or maybe 2 limited production cars being made...sure telll us another 1 GM.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
If this is the case, I'd look for another Kappa-based Chevy concept soon.

Ghrank

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by usa1@Mar 9 2004, 03:43 AM
God forbid if GM listened to the consumers. Both the Curve and Nomad are not very attractive IMO. I think the decision to build the Curve was more out of need than the Nomad. Saturn has nothing going for it product wise right now except a Honda powered SUV. Chevrolet has a lot of good hardware in the pipes that makes the need for a Nomad less important. The Nomad is really very much like the HHR in terms of packaging. Both are retro four seaters.

Mark
i think they ARE listening to the consumers. that's what wagoner said. sure, car buffs might love it, but even with a niche car they don't want to sell every car they're going to sell the first year and have to cancel it the next. even with the solstice sales might be huge at first and then taper off, but it seems that chev is worried they'll totally drop off to nothing very quickly. it's a business, and if they don't forecast success, even at a niche level, they can't build a car. it's that simple. i would LOVE to see the nomad built... i think i like it better than the solstice... but GM is a company that has to make money.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I just really want to know who they were interviewing at the car show, Rex, you're reading this, did you go to this show?? Were they interviewing old people, come on, they had to have been.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can't see GM building just Solstice and Curve, maybe 100K units tops if they're lucky. They need wagon platforms. Saab 95 is the only sport wagon in GM's whole fleet! GM still has a lot of holes to fill in their line-up.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
They built the Aztec didn't they? I remember NOBODY liked that one and they went ahead anyway. Maybe they're adopting President Bush's favorite slogan - "fool me once..."

The artical does say a European version of the Nomad remains a possiblity, probably in the form of the Saab 9-X. The Vauxhaul Lighting is not feasible given new pedestrian crash standards. Too bad, it is probably the best looking Kappa variant.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I know a lot of old Nomad enthusiasts that are absolutely disgusted by the new Nomad concept. I can understand if they interviewed several people and found out that many have mixed thoughts about it.

This is the problem with trying to revivie old namplates that have been dead as long as the nomad has. It is a niche car, but so far from what I've seen many in that niche that this car targets, dont like the Nomad concept.

I can understand them too. Its small, doesnt look very attractive, and at best, it looks like they took a Mini Cooper and stretched out the nose on it. They could've gone a different route with the front end IMHO and it would've been vastly improved.

The car as it stands, sits very ho hum with me and several people I've discussed it with.

I can't fault GM for considering not to build it, if many people it had targeted this car for are not willing to buy it.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I know how to make Chevy (GM) produce the Nomad, Build it on a truck platform, give it a underpowered V8 and set the price above $40K. Sell the first couple on ebay for $80-90K. Give it a Retractable hard top, and add 2000 lbs to it... That would be a great way to have GM make the car.

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
retro is a passing fancy in some respects, but the nomad rocks. another good idea for it would be to put a Saab front end on it, and VOILA!, it's a 9X. just a thought.

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
whew... I thought they were gunna make it.

Good, now bring my Camaro to me.
Chevy isnt gunna get the nomad for the sole reason that they dont need it. Its not gunna be fast with its bloated 3200lbs, and you know your gunna get stuck with the 2.4. Total lack of power, and a ubersmall wagon? Who wants that? Yeah, it looks good and I would get one over the butt fugly Mini, but there is no need for it. Consumers loved the Cien... you dont see them rolling around do you? Consumers loved the sixteen, you dont see Pdiddy crusing in it? I for one am glad that the nomad isnt getting built. Its a sweet looking car, but serves no purpose. Its going to be slow, weight is probably going to be throw off due to the wagon back so handling could be comprimized, space is very low inside, and Chevy doesnt really need it.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
Hey, no sweat off my nose. If I want a smal RWD car BMW is going to give me the 1 series. If I want something bigger Ford is building a Mustang and Dogde may build a Charger. If GM does not want to build the cars I want, someone else will.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts

·
Registered
3,370 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488+Mar 9 2004, 07:52 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (paul8488 @ Mar 9 2004, 07:52 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-usa1@Mar 9 2004, 03:43 AM
God forbid if GM listened to the consumers.  Both the Curve and Nomad are not very attractive IMO.  I think the decision to build the Curve was more out of need than the Nomad.  Saturn has nothing going for it product wise right now except a Honda powered SUV.  Chevrolet has a lot of good hardware in the pipes that makes the need for a Nomad less important.  The Nomad is really very much like the HHR in terms of packaging.  Both are retro four seaters.

Mark
i think they ARE listening to the consumers. that's what wagoner said. sure, car buffs might love it, but even with a niche car they don't want to sell every car they're going to sell the first year and have to cancel it the next. even with the solstice sales might be huge at first and then taper off, but it seems that chev is worried they'll totally drop off to nothing very quickly. it's a business, and if they don't forecast success, even at a niche level, they can't build a car. it's that simple. i would LOVE to see the nomad built... i think i like it better than the solstice... but GM is a company that has to make money. [/b][/quote]
Errr, you must not have noticed my sarcasm.

Mark

1 - 20 of 33 Posts