GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
387 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/ae_news_story.php?id=43248]Source: Autoexpress[/url]

The Chevrolet Nomad is looking for a new home. And the concept could be heading to Sweden to become a Saab, according to GM bosses.

The Nomad, which uses the Pontiac Solstice platform, is said to be a very real production possibility. And if it gets the go-ahead Stateside, then a Saab version, based on the 9X concept first seen at the 2001 Frankfurt Motor Show, will follow for Europe.

Click link above for full acticle

·
Registered
44,081 Posts
:woot2:
Yahooo!! I knew this was coming. The Nomad was a dead-ringer for the 9X. While I do agree with getting the "weirdisms" (as Lutz put it) out of Saab, it is the "weirdisms" that make Saabs endearing.

But then I do have to look at the stellar 9-3 series and how the "weirdisms" were nicely placed on a GM global platform and see that this might not be so bad after all. Especially when certain economies of scale can drop the price of the parts used in these cars, the cost of ownership dips as well. And that's a good thing.

Now, with 300HP?? Slap the Viggen moniker on the 9X and lets show the Germans how it's really done!!!

Oh yeah... one more thing.... Lutz is targetting 250,000 annual sales for Saab, when they just said that they would be happy with Cadillac at around 240K annual?? <_< How odd is that?

·
Registered
94 Posts
GM is designing radical cars, that are very different from what they, or the market have ever produced. I like it because it looks like a corvette wagon and will probably be very affordable considering the price of the solstice

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
I WOULD BE IN 7TH HEAVEN IF GM SOLD NOMADS IN EUROPE (REAL CHEVYS)
BUT I AM AFRAID THAT AT THE LOCAL DALERSHIP ONLY NUBIRAS,MATIZES,KALOSES WILL BE PARKED

ARE YOU LISTENING GM !?!

:brick:

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
The Nomad, which uses the Pontiac Solstice platform, is said to be a very real production possibility. And if it gets the go-ahead Stateside, then a Saab version, based on the 9X concept first seen at the 2001 Frankfurt Motor Show, will follow for Europe.
Don't go counting your chickens just yet, guys. This article does NOT confirm the Nomad's production, but it DOES confirm that GM, as they did with the Solstice, is looking to build a strong business case for getting us our Nomad.

I think it would make a great little Saab, especially if it helps us get this great little Chevy.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
533 Posts
It would make sense that they'd spread the new platform around to share costs. But while the design is pure Chevy, I fear that it'll go the way of the ssR 'trucklet' and be priced like it too. Where's the RWD coupe for $25K for us BowTie faithful?

With nothing on the horizon, the '05 Mustang GT is looking like a real replacement for the space in my garage. Now excuse me while I go flog myself for writing that.... :drevil:

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by nsap@Jan 17 2004, 08:29 AM
Bummer: I wish it was going to be built for the US.. ;)
The way I interpreted it is that if it gets the go-ahead to be built in the US as a Nomad, then they will build a Saab version for Europe as well.

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
They want this in Europe as a Saab? That's fine with me if it helps put a Chevy SS version of it in my driveway. Whatever they need to do to make a business case to get the Nomad built is fine with me.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Originally posted by mgescuro@Jan 17 2004, 12:49 AM

Oh yeah... one more thing.... Lutz is targetting 250,000 annual sales for Saab, when they just said that they would be happy with Cadillac at around 240K annual?? <_< How odd is that?
lutz is out to make cadillac more prestigous. and with that he may actually LIMIT production on all cadillac modles to keep the output lower so the quality will stay high. and when some one sees one of these caddies they will be excited, instead of indifferent, like when you see many of these other "luxo" cars...

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
They should have done a nice little Saab wagon off the Kappa platform instead of throwing a Saab fascia on the Impreza. The 9-2 is a rather small car, and the Nomad seems to be about the same size. So, unless this Nomad-shaped Saab replaces the existing 9-2 in a couple years, the rumor won't pan out. They showed the 9-3 wagon concept at NAIAS, which had similar proportions to the 9-X concept.

Of course, the GM-way will be to give Saab the Nomad exactly as-is. Yeah, I always wanted a Saab that looks like an old Corvette, just like I always wanted a Saab that's a dead-ringer for a Subaru! :huh:

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
Much as I want to see the Nomad in production, that article doesn't really say that's what's happening.

Darn.

We're just going to have to await the GM press release . . . .

·
Registered
94 Posts
i just worry about the price if its buile..i would like the ss version if they have it to try and stay in the low 20s if at all possible.. :Heads:

·
Registered
3,389 Posts
If I had to make a guess I think a Kappa based Saab will replace the WRX based Saab mabey by 06/07. Does anyone know if the Kappa can be configured for AWD?

·
Registered
259 Posts
I know Chevy would nice with the Nomad finnally added to it's lineup after all these year. But right now - Saab is in dire need of cars to boost it's idenity. Chevy can do just fine without the Nomad and I have no problem's with a Kappa-base car going to Saab whatsoever - i just hope that it doesn't hurt Saab.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thats incredible. I just came from Detroit and the 3 Kappa cars were some of my favourite cars. They looked like these awsome concepts, but the best part, in 1-2 years I will be able to have one of my own.

Way to go GM!!!

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
There were four.... including the Vauxhall concept on the right. And, interestingly, they showed the original 2002 Solstice concept way over in the Pontiac exhibit. If they wanted to show how close the production version is to the concept (which it is), then why were they so far apart? That was kind of weird.

I thought the Vauxhall concept was the most striking Kappa shown, and it made the Solstice and Nomad look a little bland. Of course, the Vauxhall is not destined for the U.S. market. :(

1 - 20 of 51 Posts