GM Inside News Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Editor
26,951 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary Cowger isn't giving up on the Chevrolet Nomad concept.

Despite the Nomad's disappointing reviews at consumer clinics, the president of General Motors North America said the automaker will give the concept car another try.

"We'll do some more research, do some more tweaking," Cowger said during an interview at the New York auto show. "We'll try to find out what part (the public) didn't like and what can we do to fix that."

The Nomad's styling is strongly influenced by a six-passenger wagon concept that GM unveiled in 1954. That concept, also called Nomad, was based on the 1954 Corvette.

The Nomad that debuted in January at the Detroit auto show was developed from GM's rear-drive Kappa architecture. Kappa will provide the underpinnings for a family of two- and four-passenger small cars. The 2006 Pontiac Solstice will be the first car engineered from that platform.

Given the Nomad's edgy styling and Kappa's inexpensive architecture, journalists predicted that GM would approve production. But Cowger says consumers were conflicted.

"We fell in love with that thing," Cowger said. "But the clinic data and the response from the auto show was not good on the Nomad at all. Part of the Nomad's problem is: It seems to be too small for a utility. Is it a little wagon? What is it?

Another issue might be the styling, he said. "Maybe it is dated. It is not really retro, and it is not really modern - but the people who love it, love it."

Full Article

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Oh please, please, make the Nomad!!!

I will have no car payments and will be looking for a new car about the time the kappas hit the market. I want a Nomad.

·
Registered
372 Posts
This is the best news I have heard all day, and it's still early!

I definitly think that they should build this thing.
It's just the kind of image vehicle chevrolet could use.

·
Premium Member
3,704 Posts
Basically, we Chevy guys all liked it. Outside of us, the "most likely buyers" apparently didn't. The press also liked it, but they also tend to be car guys.

Frankly, I can understand people not liking it, what with my saliva caked all over it.

Ghrankenstein

·
Registered
71 Posts
I'm not a Chevy guy and I liked it a lot. I like a small wagon, as I got the room to haul stuff if need be, but have the better handling and manueverability of a small car. Once GM got rid of my beloved Saturn SW2, there has been no decent American-made alternative, but the Nomad could be it. Small wagons maybe a small market, but why let Ford and Mitsubishi potentially dominate the segment? Give us the Nomad!

5,934 Posts
I think the thing about the Nomad is 'it's cool'. Size wise for a station wagon it's about the same size as a Subaru, maybe a little bigger. So I don't understand the 'size' thing. Well it's NOT an SUV. I would consider it more of a 'sport wagon'.

I'd buy one because I think it's cool, and noone else would have one. It's a segment buster. It would definitely get attention at the movie theater parking lot.

It is a segment buster and would help to bolster Chevy's image. Maybe a limited production similar to the SSR. Maybe a few more than the SSR.

Build it, it's cool.

Consumer groups tend to look at the 'practical' side of things. The thing the Nomad has, is 'style'.

<_<

5,934 Posts
Also, bear in mnd, I believe many of these 'consumer groups' want to se GM fail. They may see that it's cool, and that it will sell, but will tell GM, "Don't build it".

I say, it's f*n' trick, and will get allot of positive 'whoa, look at that' attention', and should help to bolster Chevy's image. Lord knows Chevy needs a bolstered image.

Based upon the price, I'd buy one. Mid $20k's could be a good price target.

<_<

·
Registered
92 Posts
I love this thing. But the one thing I don't get is how people could like the Mini, but not this? They're basically the same idea, except this concept has less glass than the Mini, is RWD, and is thus sportier and better! There's no question I would take this thing over a Mini in a heart-beat! I love the styling and I love the idea of a small RWD "wagon".

·
Premium Member
14,963 Posts
I like the Nomad, and I loved it in person, but having so many niche cars in one car company? SSR, HHR, and Nomad? I think about it more and more, and if they tweeked a few things, this car could really be cool for Chevy. I dont know, I love the car, but its spot on Chevy's line up is where I get confused. I would buy a Solstice over the Nomad. Where the Nomad is good looking, the Solstice is flat out sexy.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Originally posted by bigals87z28@Apr 19 2004, 04:08 PM
I like the Nomad, and I loved it in person, but having so many niche cars in one car company? SSR, HHR, and Nomad? I think about it more and more, and if they tweeked a few things, this car could really be cool for Chevy. I dont know, I love the car, but its spot on Chevy's line up is where I get confused. I would buy a Solstice over the Nomad. Where the Nomad is good looking, the Solstice is flat out sexy.

Exactly, That's just what Chevy needs, another model to manage. (HHR, Malibu(classic, maxx and sedan), Aveo, Impala, Monte Carlo, Silverado, Tahoe, Coloroda, SSR, Surbuban and cobalt) Besides, the Nomad would just fill the "cuteness" gap (and that's debateable), not practical at all.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'm starting to lean towards the "Heck with the Nomad, just build a Camaro" train of thought. Like BigAl said, does Chevy really need another niche vehicle? Can't the Maxx cover the wagon segment?

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Maetrix66@Apr 19 2004, 12:44 PM
I definitly think that they should build this thing.
It's just the kind of image vehicle chevrolet could use.
chevrolet image vehicle? don't tell corvette you said that! and on the more utilitarian side (though not really) there's the SSR. no, i don't think chev needs any more image cars. though i still like the nomad! but i have to wonder how many of us who like it would actually buy it. i would if i had the cash and garage space for a toy, but i don't.

·
Registered
126 Posts
EXCELLENT news for a somewhat **itty monday.

P.S. The car could be just a bit bigger, otherwise I wouldn't turn it down if it was for sale right this minute. Keep on truck'n GM........make it happen!!

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
if GM wants these cars to sell they need to put install more big HP engines. this is what killed the sales of the prowler,the V-6. if they would bring it back out with a "hemi" in it they could not build them fast enought. the chevy flip top pickup should have had the 345 HP 6 liter engine. anyone can build or buy a "retro"" kit car with a blown BBC in it for the same money of the SSR. GM thinks people want all this trick stuff like folding solid top and all wheel drive but what they want is more HP. GM is afraid of the "safety nazis"

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
I definitely think one of the divisions should be building a "practical" version of the Kappa. The Nomad may not be as practical as the Maxx (although it's way better looking), but it's a mini-van compared to the Solstice, and it should pull entirely different customers than the Solstice.

I mean, they are only looking for 20,000 buyers a year for the Solstice. Do they really think they couldn't peddle that many Nomads a year too?

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Originally posted by MelvinJ@Apr 19 2004, 02:36 PM
I definitely think one of the divisions should be building a "practical" version of the Kappa. The Nomad may not be as practical as the Maxx (although it's way better looking), but it's a mini-van compared to the Solstice, and it should pull entirely different customers than the Solstice.

I mean, they are only looking for 20,000 buyers a year for the Solstice. Do they really think they couldn't peddle that many Nomads a year too?
Exactly what I was thinking!

·
Registered
830 Posts
Originally posted by xellow@Apr 19 2004, 10:55 AM
I would like the nomad more if it were truer to its origonal roots.
This concept is true to its original roots. This is very similar to the original Nomad concept based off the Corvette.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts