GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9,193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When was the last time we saw a J-body Buick Skyhawk? It's been ages for me. I saw this article from Hemming blogs.

Is it really a T-Type without a turbocharged engine? In the case of this manual-transmission 1986 Buick Skyhawk listed for sale on Hemmings.com—a car backed by its original purchase paperwork—the answer is yes, making it a fairly rare example. Perhaps more important, though, is the fact that the car remains in stellar shape with nothing but a set of wheels required to put it back to factory condition, making it likely one of just a handful of J-body Skyhawks—T-Type or not—that would turn collectors' heads these days. While it's probably possible to add the turbocharger to it, the hatchback probably deserves to remain in a state of preservation for as long as possible. From the seller's description:
10K Documented Original Miles. One of America's forgotten hot-hatchback. Though the GN is widely recognized as Buick's iconic sleeper of the 80's very few remember its long lost siblings, the Skyhawk T-Type and Sport Hatchback with a turbocharger powerplant of their own. The Skyhawk T-Type's were ridiculously quick and undeniably styling and underrated performance helped lay the groundwork for the hot hatch segment that is booming today. Yet, nobody recalls perhaps the very car that started it all. The GM J-body. This example is one of the lowest mile T-Types in the United States. Well documented and near flawless example of GM's best J-body.

·
Registered
2020 Chevrolet Equinox LT AWD
15,237 Posts
That's sweet. I had an H-body version as a parts car to save my '78 Ponitac Sunbird Sport Coupe.
I had a burgundy 1980 Sunbird notchback coupe with about everything under the sun on it, paid $6675.17 for it. Manual transmission. It was a fun little car to toss around with the rally RTS handling pkg. I ordered it from the dealer and waited, it wasn't bought out of dealer stock.

·
Registered
15,237 Posts
Mine was white with a carmine red interior. I used the Skyhawk interior to make mine red and black inside, white on the outside. I was young, don't judge. LOL
It was the 80's. At least no red on red
I can remember way back then and even in the 70's having a red leather interior was a thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I special ordered an '84 Skyhawk T-Type in cranberry red over the dark gray lower body. It was about $10,500 MSRP. It was before the hatchback model was offered, so it was the 2 door notch back. 5 spd manual with the 1.8 ltr (non turbo). The turbo was only available with a 4 spd or auto. Sunroof, power windows & locks. Great looking car for the time, always turned heads. Lot's of fun to drive and the engine loved to be wound out. I do miss that car.

·
Registered
9,380 Posts
That's sweet. I had an H-body version as a parts car to save my '78 Ponitac Sunbird Sport Coupe.
I had a burgundy 1980 Sunbird notchback coupe with about everything under the sun on it, paid $6675.17 for it. Manual transmission. It was a fun little car to toss around with the rally RTS handling pkg. I ordered it from the dealer and waited, it wasn't bought out of dealer stock.
That's funny my first car was a 1979 Sunbird coupe. It was an automatic but had the bulletproof 3.8 V6. I got that car as a Sophomore in high school and drove it through high school, college and then my first two years of my first job. All for $3000.

I think it had somewhere around 30,000 miles on it when I got it and when I sold it I think it was at 150k with minor maintenance. That car taught me how to drive RWD in the snow, gave me independence and turned me into a Pontiac fan from that point on.

I didn't even know there was a Buick J-Body. My buddy had the Chevy Monza version.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
That's funny my first car was a 1979 Sunbird coupe. It was an automatic but had the bulletproof 3.8 V6. I got that car as a Sophomore in high school and drove it through high school, college and then my first two years of my first job. All for $3000.

I think it had somewhere around 30,000 miles on it when I got it and when I sold it I think it was at 150k with minor maintenance. That car taught me how to drive RWD in the snow, gave me independence and turned me into a Pontiac fan from that point on.

I didn't even know there was a Buick J-Body. My buddy had the Chevy Monza version.
Mine was a 3.8 too! When my teenage automotive know-not-how caused me to melt two pistons, I swapped in a 4.3L V8 and a 5-speed manual. Woohoo! Getting the same 110 hp with worse fuel economy was awesome, but it sure did sound good! LOL

Yeah, I loved my Sunbird. I used to brag about how my rear suspension design was used on the Camaro/Firebird (shhhhh they don't need to know it was on the Cosworth Vega!) I remember driving it year-round with RWD, now we've been conditioned that we cannot possibly survive without AWD and 9 1/2 cupholders in the winter. Puhleeze. I used to drive a Chevette in the snow. My Sunbird had a Pioneer head unit, a 12-band equalizer with dancing lights and 4 speakers (two of which were home stereo speakers screwed down in the hatch area because, well, 1985). I'd love to find another one. Mine is at my parents' house, someone stole nearly everything off of it in the 30 years since I last drove it, but it's still there, up on blocks.

·
Registered
15,237 Posts

Mine had the good ole Iron Duke Four and a manual.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I special ordered an '84 Skyhawk T-Type in cranberry red over the dark gray lower body. It was about $10,500 MSRP. It was before the hatchback model was offered, so it was the 2 door notch back. 5 spd manual with the 1.8 ltr (non turbo). The turbo was only available with a 4 spd or auto. Sunroof, power windows & locks. Great looking car for the time, always turned heads. Lot's of fun to drive and the engine loved to be wound out. I do miss that car.
Was able to test drive a turbo/manual J-body in late '80s (used) but for the life of me can't recall if it was a Skyhawk or Sunbird. Had a lot of torque steer when the turbo came on.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts