GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This I found interesting. I just can't imagine towing a 7000, or even 3500lb load for any length of time without a dedicated/auxiliary transmission cooler. There's no way the stock transmission's cooling system is going to hold up to that kind of heat. If it could, then why do the full size trucks have auxiliary transmission coolers with their tow packages? I know I wouldn't feel safe towing something with my $35,000 truck without that added protection.

Maybe the Diesel will come with a beefed up transmission? Even then, I think the tow ratings remain the same...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. G.M. wouldn't rate for towing that much weight it the transmission couldn't handle it without an aux. cooler. Keep in mind these new 6 speed automatics have enough gears with an advanced shift algorithm that they can operate with the converter clutch engaged most of the time. A slipping converter is what generates heat in an automatic transmission. Dexron VI transmission fluid is also very resistant to thermal breakdown.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nothing the 6L50 has been used in thus far has seen any towing duty. I just can't see it holding up in the long run; Maybe two towing trips/year max. I wouldn't be surprised if it says in the owners manual to only tow a certain # of miles/year.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basically GM says to change the trans fluid every 45k when towing. I guess that'll help the trans live.

The Diesel must come with a different transmission though, I think the 6L50 is only good for 330 ft/lbs of torque.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
If you're that concerned about, you can easily and cheaply install an after market cooler.

What model you getting?

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Nothing the 6L50 has been used in thus far has seen any towing duty. I just can't see it holding up in the long run; Maybe two towing trips/year max. I wouldn't be surprised if it says in the owners manual to only tow a certain # of miles/year.
If you don't exceed the rated capacity truck's warranty is in full effect regardless of how often you tow

·
Registered
460 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
If you don't exceed the rated capacity truck's warranty is in full effect regardless of how often you tow
The warranty is only good for 5 years. I would keep this truck for at least double that...

You can get a Silverado/Sierra with the 6.2!!! for 42k. That's the LTZ package. Factor in discounts and that is pretty close to the price of a loaded Colorado, and I just am not a fan of that 3.6 for truck duty...

And then there's the SS with the MANUAL TRANS!! and MAGNETIC RIDE! for just a few dollars more...

See where I am going with this?

·
Registered
11 Posts
The warranty is only good for 5 years. I would keep this truck for at least double that...

You can get a Silverado/Sierra with the 6.2!!! for 42k. That's the LTZ package. Factor in discounts and that is pretty close to the price of a loaded Colorado, and I just am not a fan of that 3.6 for truck duty...

And then there's the SS with the MANUAL TRANS!! and MAGNETIC RIDE! for just a few dollars more...

Not really.

A. People shouldn't buy mid size trucks to pull 7000lbs..

B. The price you're quoting for 6.2l LTZ Silverados is nowhere near $42K. You can't say negotiated price on Silverados is near sticker price on Canyons because you can negotiate on Canyons as well.

C. As far as I know, there is no diesel Canyon. (so you seem to be saying "They should build me a $25K truck that makes their $35K trucks obsolete.")

On your original topic, I bought a 4.3l Silverado, pretty loaded. I tow around 3000lbs with it pretty easily. It has 90% of the torque and hp my 2010 5.3l Silverado had at the same RPMs, so it seems fairly similar. (and when I have E85 in it, 95% hp, same torque as 2010 5.3l had)

That said, I was troubled to see no external cooler on a full size truck with a tow package rated at 6700lbs SAE towing.

What I see on normal highway/town transmission temps towing is 110-120. The worst I've seen was on a winding, hilly back road where the speed limit switched from 20 to 55 about every half mile, so I was constantly braking and accelerating. Stayed in the 130-140 range there.

I've seen on the web posts from GM staff that said not to worry about temp on new transmission fluid until 140 from one guy, and 170 from another.

There is no OEM cooler for my truck, and the place I bought it recommends I don't put an aftermarket one on.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Good luck finding any new 6.2 trucks on the lots.

You can build a RWD for around that price. If you were to order one, the rebates would be what ever is current when you take delivery here in the U.S.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
On the Camaro sites I have read that you start worrying about trans temp at 200 deg. One guy was running his modified V8 Camaro with the 6L50 trans at the track and the temp went over 200. Without the computer mods the temp went down. It seems the 6L50 has no bands but uses all clutches.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
This I found interesting. I just can't imagine towing a 7000, or even 3500lb load for any length of time without a dedicated/auxiliary transmission cooler. There's no way the stock transmission's cooling system is going to hold up to that kind of heat. If it could, then why do the full size trucks have auxiliary transmission coolers with their tow packages? I know I wouldn't feel safe towing something with my $35,000 truck without that added protection.

Maybe the Diesel will come with a beefed up transmission? Even then, I think the tow ratings remain the same...

Thoughts?
An independent cooler or an integrated one makes no difference, it's just the capacity of it - if you make a powerful enough cooler in the rad for example there is no difference...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Don't the Colorado/Canyon have trans temp gauges in their DIC's? Or at least a hot light? I tend to think that auxiliary trans coolers are overrated as GM has an interest in their vehicles lasting a long time, including past the warranty period.

I haven't worried about adding a cooler for towing my boat with my Durango...I figured if it was getting worked that hard the trans temp light would come on

A Commodore is rated to tow like 4600 lbs...just get a Chevrolet SS manual, mount a class III, and tow-away

·
Banned
867 Posts
An independent cooler or an integrated one makes no difference, it's just the capacity of it - if you make a powerful enough cooler in the rad for example there is no difference...
Heat kills transmissions, coolers are the only way to make a transmission last, they make a HUGE difference in durability of the transmission every 10 degrees F above 140 F you shorten the life of the transmission by 50%. That is why my shop installs lots of coolers with overhauls every year, people don't believe in coolers till they're on the side of the road and it's not just the cooler but the type of cooler, it must be all aluminum, very fine fins and no smaller than 10,000 lbs.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts

Thoughts?
They do have a cooler. Its integral to the AC condensor (the top 1/4 of the condensor is the transmission cooler). Same as Silverado with the aux cooler. But on the Colorado/Canyon its not an aux cooler, its the trans cooler. No aux cooler. I can't tell for sure but they also may or may not be "thermostatically controlled" as well. Silverado/Sierra 1500 have a thermostatic bypass on the cooler lines right where they bolt to the trans that keeps flow untill the transmission reaches a desired operating temperature, around 180-190.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
They do have a cooler. Its integral to the AC condensor (the top 1/4 of the condensor is the transmission cooler). Same as Silverado with the aux cooler. But on the Colorado/Canyon its not an aux cooler, its the trans cooler. No aux cooler. I can't tell for sure but they also may or may not be "thermostatically controlled" as well. Silverado/Sierra 1500 have a thermostatic bypass on the cooler lines right where they bolt to the trans that keeps flow untill the transmission reaches a desired operating temperature, around 180-190.
Great info, Thanks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts