GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm a HUGE GM supporter, I own 4 myself and I always try really hard to get my friends and family to buy GM when they're shopping for a new car. I've "sold" 2 G6's, 2 Vibes, an Enclave, and a LaCrosse within the past 12 months to friends.
Another friend of mine was looking for a high-end sports car convertible and was ready to buy a Porsche 911. I told him how great the Corvette is and even found him one in the color, with all the options that he wanted. He loved the way it looked and was ready to buy pending a test drive. He called the dealer and made an appointment with the salesman for this morning. He drove 45 minutes in his Audi Q7 to the dealer only to be told that he couldn't have a test drive because people don't like to buy Corvettes with even 20 miles on them so their policy is no test drives. The only demo they had was a coupe with a stick shift and he was interested in the convertible with an automatic. He would have bought it right then and there if he liked the way it drove but even the manager said no test drives, that was their policy.
So he drove to the Porsche dealership where they told him he could test drive anything he wanted and he ended up buying the 911 for about $20,000 more than the Vette would have been.
Big disappointment...for me, anyway.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
I guess in Long Island, the dealers are more independant. In SOCAL you can drive almost anything made. They may require to see your Driver License, with appropriate zipcode, or Insurance Card to verify you have coverage in case of damage, but they pretty much let you drive anything, except maybe a limited production Farrari, or Lamborghini (these require special driving skills)..

The guy should have returned to the dealer and asked if they found his misplaced cellphone in the new Porsche. just to make that salesman, stew (spelled S--T).

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Sorry to hear this. Was it a turbo? I feel the same way, not test drive no DICE.
I did just sell my FLAWLESS 1996 Z26 beretta & no one drove it & a stack of papers on her. I did take him for a long test drive too.
I bet the vette is quicker all around.
I love the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S, this is the best of both world SUV/SPORT

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Sounds like it is a dealer related incident. My friend was able to test drive a Z06 with me before making a custom order for his. I would have seen another dealer, but it sounds like your friend wasn't really looking for anything specific anyway, someone with high interest would have wanted to speak to another seller or gone to another dealership.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Our policy is the same, no Test drivy wihout preapproval at leat, and a deposit, but most Vettese we bring in are ordered, we only stock maybe 1 or 2 as retail units...

canada is a bit different tho, a Z06 here goes for over 100 Grand so not just every joe blow will get a test drive....

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This guy is clearly not a "Joe Blow", he is (WAS) a serious, well-heeled buyer. The salesman knew he was coming to see a specific car and knew that he had the ability to write a check for the purchase price. He drove 45 minutes to the dealer in his new Audi Q7 with his wife to see the car, drive it, and buy it. Why would the dealership give up a $65K sale in this market over a test-drive ? And worst of all he instead bought a Porsche, only adding to the miserable U.S. trade deficit.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
Serious or not, some dealers will simply not allow anyone to do that. You can sometimes just see another salesman or go to another dealership. He should have asked this before driving into the dealership, what you drive into the dealership with does not mean a thing.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what you drive into the dealership with does not mean a thing.
I don't know about that, if he drove up in a '95 Cavalier he might not be perceived to be able to afford the Corvette. But pulling up in that brand new, expensive Audi should give some credibility that he's got the means to buy.

·
Registered
8,341 Posts
I don't know about that, if he drove up in a '95 Cavalier he might not be perceived to be able to afford the Corvette. But pulling up in that brand new, expensive Audi should give some credibility that he's got the means to buy.
Not really, I knew someone that went into a Lamborghini dealership with a 01 Saturn, they let him look around and he made the purchase. For all we know a lot of people like to rent expensive cars to go to dealerships, its been done before. Con artists love to do it and it will only cost them a few hundred bucks to pull it off and end up with a new car.

·
Premium Member
34,369 Posts
you are telling me a dealer expects me to buy a car I have not test driven? Even if it was a ZR-1. I would have to test it myself

·
Registered
18,488 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Something doesn't sound right with that dealer, or something elce is wrong. Anyone going to a dealer to buy a $65,000+ car who obviousely is ready and able to just write a check as stated, would certainly be allowed a test drive by any reputable dealer. No one would buy it without a test drive.

The Chev Dealer down the street wanted my GF to take a car overnite on a test drive. It was not a corvette but still. All they do is photo your licence and slap on the dealer plate. They know they will not even sell a $25,000 car without allowing a test drive, never mind a $65,000 one.

Last one I bought I test drove 2 different ones including taking the one I was going to buy off road to test the 4hi and 4 low . I made the salesman go with me on the second test drive. He didn't really want to but I made him anyway since I told him I was taking it in the dirt. I did not want to abuse it, but I just wanted to test it.

·
Premium Member
8,004 Posts
Thye do not just 'Photo your license'.
They run a Credit Check with out your permission.

You have to say right up front NOT to run a credit check.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Thye do not just 'Photo your license'.
They run a Credit Check with out your permission.

You have to say right up front NOT to run a credit check.
Interesting.....I didn't know that. Thanks for that info.

·
Registered
11,898 Posts
Something doesn't sound right with that dealer, or something elce is wrong. Anyone going to a dealer to buy a $65,000+ car who obviousely is ready and able to just write a check as stated, would certainly be allowed a test drive by any reputable dealer. No one would buy it without a test drive.

The Chev Dealer down the street wanted my GF to take a car overnite on a test drive. It was not a corvette but still. All they do is photo your licence and slap on the dealer plate. They know they will not even sell a $25,000 car without allowing a test drive, never mind a $65,000 one.

Last one I bought I test drove 2 different ones including taking the one I was going to buy off road to test the 4hi and 4 low . I made the salesman go with me on the second test drive. He didn't really want to but I made him anyway since I told him I was taking it in the dirt. I did not want to abuse it, but I just wanted to test it.
There's Toyota dealers that won't let you test drive a Corolla cuz they sell sight-unseen :lmao:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, the dealership's policy is no test drives on Corvettes, their explanation being that if he drove it and decided he didn't like it and therefore didn't buy it, it would be hard to sell because "people who buy Corvettes don't want one with 20 miles on it".
Funny - and sad - because the Porsche dealer told him he could test-drive anything he wanted. He did, and he bought.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
The dealer figured out the fact that he did not want the Vette. If I wanted to buy a Vette and wanted a test drive first I would have found a dealer to let me drive one. This guy bought a Porshe. No real effort to drive the Vette because he never wanted one.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts