GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Toyota Supra is DOA, FJ Cruiser won't be refreshed, more hybrids on the way
AUTOBLOG

A report by Automotive News detailing Toyota's future products reveals that the automaker's focus will be realigned to meet new fuel efficiency standards and limiting high-powered and niche offerings.

On the hybrid side, the new Prius will debut in Detroit, with sales beginning in the spring of 2009 as a 2010 model. The nickel-metal hydride battery will remain, and because of that, the plug-in model will be delayed until a lithium ion battery is offered. The new Prius will be packing the Corolla's 1.8-liter four cylinder and the car will be an inch wider and a half-inch longer. The second hybrid model might not come to Detroit, but development is currently under way and sales will be limited to Japan.

The Supra revival has been shelved due to high mpg requirements, allowing Toyota to focus on its RWD coupe, jointly developed by Subaru. Also, there's only room for one body-on-frame SUV from the automaker, so the 4Runner will be re-engineered for the 2010 model year, will debut in either New York or Chicago, and the FJ Cruiser will complete its lifecycle and be dropped in the next few years.

The Sienna and Venza will be equipped with hybrid drivetrains in 2012, with the Sienna receiving a facelift late next year, along with more cargo space and room for third-row occupants.

The report goes on to state that the Corolla will be redesigned in 2013, along with the Matrix, the next Camry will receive a facelift in 2010, with the new model debuting in 2012, and the new Avalon will debut in 2011 as a 2012 model.

-Im a little confused to the facelift of the Sienna next year, so just the same overall body with yet another facelift?

-The "next" Camry to be facelifted in 2010? it came out in late 2006, this is just a facelift

-And the Avalon is coming back? Im pretty sure its decided its b
eing designatred as a LWB Camry in the next gen.

·
Registered
13,337 Posts
Dang I was hoping the Supra would be that awesome white hybrid sports car concept...FT-SH I think it is called, with that radical nose and rear. Perhaps it will see production in its own right without the Supra name....absolute stunner!

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Looks like Toyota has now cemented it's rep as a purveyor of boring cars (will reserve judgement on that RWD Suzuki mutt they've got going....)

·
Registered
609 Posts
At least Toyota again seems to be thinking ahead and is proactive rather than reactive. Not to dump on GM, but as we know, they are typically a reactive corporation which is what got them into the position they are in today.

·
Registered
4,883 Posts
At least Toyota again seems to be thinking ahead and is proactive rather than reactive. Not to dump on GM, but as we know, they are typically a reactive corporation which is what got them into the position they are in today.
TechnoAura:

You are exactly right! Toyota isn't setting and waiting on anything or anyone else to make decisions. Toyota is a corporation that has been enormously successful by proactive treatment of the automotive market, not reactive by bring out also offered items. If GM had Toyota's management, GM would still be an automotive powerhouse.

It appears, GM's mission statement (credo) is: Offer a little less than what is asked for, and just discount the price a bit. We can sell Ice to Eskimos! This attitude only works on the retired, people who have to work hard, will only buy the "best their money can buy."

:drive:

·
Registered
410 Posts
TechnoAura:

GM's mission statement (credo) is: Offer a little less than what is asked for, and just discount the price a bit. We can sell Ice to Eskimos!
Not just GM.. it's the same for Ford and Chrysler. Well, I should say "it was" since a lot have changed. GM, Ford or Chrysler = Wal-mart in-house discount brand. Don't take it negatively since that doesn't reflect on quality - just the "We can sell Ice to Eskimos!" attitude. In defense to the Wal-mart value brands, I remember at one point there was a comparison study on standard 35mm films by a consumer magazine and the Wal-mart's own value line (re-branded Agfa) was rated very high (if not the highest).

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
So you don't think these changes are in "reaction" to CAFE even though the thread states that Toyotas focus will be realigned to meet new Fuel Efficiency standards? That sounds like they are reacting to CAFE to me.

·
Registered
609 Posts
So you don't think these changes are in "reaction" to CAFE even though the thread states that Toyotas focus will be realigned to meet new Fuel Efficiency standards? That sounds like they are reacting to CAFE to me.
Most definitely they (Toyota) are reacting. However, Toyota already has a reputation for developing fuel efficient automobiles. GM is trying to establish such reputation. In fact, Toyota is given credit for being at the forefront of developing fuel efficient cars. Toyota offers a full line of hybrids including the Prius, Camry, Highlander, as well as at least three Lexus models that utilize hybrid technology. As we know, they have done so for more than a few years now. This is part of the reason why they are overtaking GM as the number one automotive manufacturer in the world.

IMO, Toyota has made their mistakes like GM and Ford. They certainly are not perfect. Toyota spent billions of dollars developing their current line of full size trucks and SUVs, as well as the gas-guzzling FJ. Like GM and Ford, many Toyota dealers have a large number of trucks and SUVs on their lots. This has been stated in the national media often since this past June and is evident on the Toyota lots in my area. Even Toyota has to react to changes in the market, i.e. CAFE requirements. Although they too have made their mistakes, they are surpassing GM as the number one automotive manufacturer for more than one reason. For one, quality (perceived or real, you can decide). Two, Toyota has been very successful in understanding the automotive market before most other automotive manufacturers. Sure, they are reacting to the future and current market changes, but they are doing so before many other manufacturers like GM, Ford, and Chrysler.

As a side note, a friend of mine who has worked for a dealer that sells both Toyotas and Hondas for the past several years has commented that he believes Toyota's quality is actually slipping. This is based on the number of recalls, campaigns, and bulletins that have come out on newer Toyota models. This is also based on discussions he's had with Toyota technicians. My question is, Has Toyota focused too much on becoming the number one automotive manufacturer in the world and placed quality second?

One can argue that GM made a huge mistake killing the EV1 a few years back and not further developing that car. GM was actually onto something when they developed that vehicle. That was an example of GM thinking proactively as opposed to reactively. I only hope GM is successful in changing their image. I have actually held onto their stock and bought more shares now that it is so low, hoping that it rises in the near future.

I am stepping down from my soapbox now.

·
Registered
609 Posts
TechnoAura:It appears, GM's mission statement (credo) is: Offer a little less than what is asked for, and just discount the price a bit. We can sell Ice to Eskimos! This attitude only works on the retired, people who have to work hard, will only buy the "best their money can buy."

:drive:
Ford is guilty of this as well. My wife and I purchased a 2005 Mercury Mariner Premier when this model was first launched. We had not even left the lot when the sales consultant offered to knock almost $5k off the MSRP! My wife and I were quite shocked to say the least. After test driving a few other SUVs in the Mariner's class, we ended up going with the Mariner. We could not resist. We ended up paying less for a fully loaded Mariner than we would have paid for a loaded Honda CR-V.

Although we got a pretty good deal on the Mariner, it did not hold its value when we decided to trade it in on a new car recently. Luckily, between the money we put down on the vehicle and the amount of money knocked off the MSRP at the time of purchase, we still had a lot of equity in the vehicle. My point to this rant is that when retailers focus on knocking money off the MSRP of their vehicles right away as opposed to value, it hurts their monetary value.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Dang I was hoping the Supra would be that awesome white hybrid sports car concept...FT-SH I think it is called, with that radical nose and rear. Perhaps it will see production in its own right without the Supra name....absolute stunner!
I think their aiming for something smaller and more efficient like that new (Corolla/Celica-sized?) coupe they're developing with Subaru.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts