1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Recently the trend with headlights has been to make them thinner... looks like Nissan is bucking that trend! The Maxima and Chevy Spark can be good friends now.

·
Registered
509 Posts
What an idiotic promotional campaign. I saw this commercial during the Super Bowl and immediately wondered if it was a joke. Did the marketing company even LISTEN to the lyrics of Cat's In The Cradle?

It's not a heart-tugging warm song about a father "balancing" time between work and being a dad. It's a song about a father not being a DAD, but instead choosing work over being there to spend time with his son. Eventually his son grows up to be just as uncaring and self-centered as his father. How is this a good thing?

Yeah the commercial shows the father spending "some" time with his son, but so what? He's gone almost all the other time, and then at the end of the commercial he surprises his teen son by showing up in a new car, looking uncomfortable, and then a hug is supposed to wipe away all those years of missed opportunities to spend time together?

Fail.

·
Registered
19,262 Posts
I think it looks nice, though I'll have to see it in real life. There certainly are a lot of unique character lines in the profile - real life will tell me if they are ok looking or cartoonish. Based on everything else Nissan does I suspect it will look cartoohish to me, but I'll give them a chance.

·
Super Moderator
21,021 Posts
What an idiotic promotional campaign. I saw this commercial during the Super Bowl and immediately wondered if it was a joke. Did the marketing company even LISTEN to the lyrics of Cat's In The Cradle?

It's not a heart-tugging warm song about a father "balancing" time between work and being a dad. It's a song about a father not being a DAD, but instead choosing work over being there to spend time with his son. Eventually his son grows up to be just as uncaring and self-centered as his father. How is this a good thing?

Yeah the commercial shows the father spending "some" time with his son, but so what? He's gone almost all the other time, and then at the end of the commercial he surprises his teen son by showing up in a new car, looking uncomfortable, and then a hug is supposed to wipe away all those years of missed opportunities to spend time together?

Fail.
I agree the lyrics didn't quite fit the ad. But I think the ending was supposed to be the dad giving up racing for good (he put up his helmet in a locker, didn't take it home) to be with his son? That's how I interpreted it at least.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts

Fail.
I agree the lyrics didn't quite fit the ad. But I think the ending was supposed to be the dad giving up racing for good (he put up his helmet in a locker, didn't take it home) to be with his son? That's how I interpreted it at least.
I saw the ad as Nissan wanting to state that the father was breaking the cycle of missing his son's life, thus breaking the cycle found in Sandy & Harry Chapin's lyrics. I could be wrong, but that's how I saw it.

The only real problem I had with the ad was the crash... It was in a car crash that singer/songwriter Harry Chapin lost his life. It seemed a little inappropriate...

I can't hear this song without tearing up. It came out when I was very young and describes much of what we went through with our father. He and my mother were together, and Dad wasn't on the road. But he worked 6 sometimes 7 days a week, 70-80 hours per. We didn't see him that much. He wanted to give us a better life than the poverty in which he was raised. By the time I was 11 or 12, he was more established and we had a more "normal" relationship. But he always says he missed so much of my and my siblings' early life.

·
Banned
943 Posts
What the hell happened to the Maxima?!?!?!. Just when the Maxima was starting to look good again;besides being too fat. Renault (Nissan is dead) goes and drops this mess of shapes and calls it a car,let alone a Maxima?!?!?. It looks more like someone skinned a Mazda 6 and hung its skin over the bones of the fat bloated Pathfinder. I can't believe that this is the new Maxima......... I am so disappointed,so very very disappointed.

I can't wait to see how much further Renault ruins the Z and GTR with their crappy stylists.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I thought that it was a good add, would put them 2nd to 3rd behind the Budweiser commercial, but what I find more astonishing is that so many were promoting fatherhood, after years of seeing that fathers are such doofuses and unnecessary on TV. Way to go Nissan.

Reactions: Darc Requiem

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You're right, it doesn't.

I can't agree with you on that.
Those headlights are thick, the headlights on the Chevy Spark are tall and thick. The commonality between them is that their headlights are thick.
Just in case you aren't sure, styling is a subjective topic for all people; that means different people can can have different opinions about stuff. I think the headlights on the Maxima are thick. I don't think they look good. That is my opinion, you can have yours and the world still spins.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.