1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan throws down the gauntlet
By John McCormick / Autos Insider
Detnews.com
Nissan's Infiniti division aims to maintain interest in popular G35 with refreshed styling on 2005 model.

San Francisco, CA - As if Detroit automakers don't have enough to worry about with the apparently unstoppable Toyota juggernaut, now Motown has Nissan banging on the door.

According to the company's global marketing vice-president, Steve Wilhite, the target is for Nissan to reach global annual sales of 4.2 million units by fiscal year 2007. For the US that means over one million units. Wilhite stresses that double digit operating profit margins and return on invested capital at or above 20 percent will remain as Nissan goals, along with sales growth.

Globally, Nissan will launch 28 new models, between fiscal year 2005 and 2007, with seven aimed at the US market. These will include the next generation Cube, a boxy sub-compact similar to Toyota's Scion xB. It boasts the "chic refrigerator look," says Nissan North America design director Alfonso Albaisa. Another US-bound model is the next edition of the vaunted Skyline GT-R high performance coupe.

Full Article Here

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Am I the only one who thinks GM could cash in on the trend of boxy vehicles by giving the Astro / Safari a refresh, inside and out?

Sure, its an ancient platform, but the Scions for the most part are refreshed Echos..

New dash cap, new front fascia/headlights, new "jewel like" taillights, fold in half seats from the Uplander (no stiff upright bench seats), lower MSRP (with less rebates).....?

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 9 2004, 10:20 PM
Am I the only one who thinks GM could cash in on the trend of boxy vehicles by giving the Astro / Safari a refresh, inside and out?
Yes. You are the only one who think this. :D

A new nose job and other frills will not change the problems with the Astro/Safari. They are ancient designs that have stayed around about 7 years too long. They drag down the Chevrolet and GMC nameplates. Any money dumped on them would be better spent on long term GM products.

Mark

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
Had a 350Z ayear ago engine was sweet the rest was NOT!!! Cheap interior and flimsy parts all for the low low price of 33000!!! Give me a GP or GTO anyday!!!

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by usa1+Jun 9 2004, 10:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (usa1 @ Jun 9 2004, 10:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Ming@Jun 9 2004, 10:20 PM
Yes. You are the only one who think this. :D

A new nose job and other frills will not change the problems with the Astro/Safari. They are ancient designs that have stayed around about 7 years too long. They drag down the Chevrolet and GMC nameplates. Any money dumped on them would be better spent on long term GM products.

Mark [/b][/quote]
I know, I guess I figured if Chevy is going to offer the thing ANYWAY in 2005.... :lol: :p

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by Ming@Jun 10 2004, 03:20 AM
okay, throw a pic of the the current astro beside that nissan elgrand and tell me the nissan doen't look like a modern interpretation of the astro! the grille screams streamlined astro to me! and the side windows (especially towards the rear) look very similar. all it needs is a bowtie in the grille crossbar (aftwer removing the nissan badge, of course!).

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Remember, there was an Astro craze in Japan some years back. The Nissan Elgrand is what the Astro would look like if GM was in to keeping things looking fresh and new...

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
ah awesome! i just realised that the black van below is a nissan modded to look like an astro! hahaha! that's awesome! the astro earns my respect for sure! the current astro is a little more truckish than this new crop of boxes, but it's got potential! with full-size van (express, savana, and econoline, or whatever ford calls theirs) sales up recently, a fresher astro could make some headway. there's so much room for fancy options... large dvd screens, massive reclining chairs, full entertainmetn systems. the cost of a full redo would prohibit a new astro though, i'm sure, as the market will never be much bigger. still, i think there's potential there. i'm with you ming... astro forever!

GM has to get a rap star behind the astro. build up some steam... i'm sure the advertising bill for the astro over the past decade has been pretty small. one last hurrah... it'd be great to see 50 cent tooling around in a slammed astro!

·
Registered
5,632 Posts
If any of Nissans current products are anything to go by they need to worry about throwing down the "ugly stick" and start designing some friendlier, nicer looking body styles.

·
Premium Member
14,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by paul8488@Jun 10 2004, 10:22 AM
still, i think there's potential there. i'm with you ming... astro forever!

Astro Xtreeeeme!

·
Registered
554 Posts
I mean I'm all for vans or whatever... just don't try to make them cool. That's why you buy a sporty car remember?

You end up with this crap...

I guess I am just too simple minded for the Matrix, Scion and wagon market - and I'm in their demographic....

I saw the Scion Launch show in Texas a few years back. I almost threw up. I guess they thought spraying graff pictures or lowering them with chrome wheels will somehow distract you from it's ugliness and lack of power....

Please Nissan and Toyota.. keep making these cars, GM needs it!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts