·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
#CUMMINSSOON: Cummins Diesel-Powered Nissan Titan Teased

Car and Driver
October 13, 2014
By: Andrew Wendler

You don’t need to be Freud to figure that one out. Or maybe you do. Whatever the case, this on-again/off-again relationship has been going on since Nissan told us they were considering a diesel for the Titan back in 2008. Of course at that time, the new Titan was slated to be a badge-engineered version of the Ram, and Chrysler’s bankruptcy pretty much squashed those plans, leaving Nissan with an aging Titan to nurse until a new model could be readied.

Fast forward to 2013, when it shared some details on a 5.0-liter Cummins V-8 turbo-diesel mill that is probably the basis for the engine that will ultimately see the light of day in the Titan. (Just a few months ago, Nissan let us drive a Frontier powered by a 2.8-liter Cummins V-6 turbo-diesel, too.) Given the “soon” part of the hashtag, we’re figuring that the oil-burner will show up on the 2016 Titan, which is due soon and likely will be a heavily reworked version of the existing truck.
Full article at the link.

·
Banned
11,892 Posts
Too little too late
Everyone else brought a generation or two since the Titan was first out
And for 2016 all the Titan gets is a refresh?

·
Premium Member
News Contributor
5,626 Posts
Too little too late
Everyone else brought a generation or two since the Titan was first out
And for 2016 all the Titan gets is a refresh?
I think they just used a picture of the current truck. It appears that there is a totally new truck coming next year.

I really hope Nissan can really improve the fuel economy. I had a 2008 Titan, loved it, but the gas mileage was a killer, and within a year I had to get rid of it.

Side Note: I didn't know this flexibility Nissan had built into the platform. Wikipedia
This platform can be configured with an independent suspension or solid axle suspension arrangement

·
Registered
11,998 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
V8 diesel might be a profitable niche. I think long term, diesels can sell in 1/2 tons on just being fuel miserly. People are used to paying extra for more power - and having the de-facto or standard engine as both the fuel thrift choice and MSRP thrift choice.
My guess is that ultimately Nissan also knows they have to bring something unique and compelling to the table. The Big Three are THE standard of the segment. The second Tundra had some initial thunder based on the big numbers it generated, but the more thoroughly well rounded American trucks never had to worry too much. Ram has done the first half-ton diesel in the contemporary market, but Nissan's Cummins V-8 would be rather different. Nissan must make sure that the Titan is competitive in every aspect of being a pickup. Maybe they should rely even more heavily on diesels? The Frontier Concept's 2.8T diesel V-6, an up-level 5.6L from the Patrol/QX80, and the 5.0T diesel V-8.

·
Registered
9,571 Posts
My guess is that ultimately Nissan also knows they have to bring something unique and compelling to the table. The Big Three are THE standard of the segment. The second Tundra had some initial thunder based on the big numbers it generated, but the more thoroughly well rounded American trucks never had to worry too much. Ram has done the first half-ton diesel in the contemporary market, but Nissan's Cummins V-8 would be rather different. Nissan must make sure that the Titan is competitive in every aspect of being a pickup. Maybe they should rely even more heavily on diesels? The Frontier Concept's 2.8T diesel V-6, an up-level 5.6L from the Patrol/QX80, and the 5.0T diesel V-8.

beyond being capable and "as good as" I believe the titan NEEDS to be head and shoulders better then the other 4 trucks as the American 3 have a reputation for making good trucks and Toyota is Toyota and even that is NOT doing much compared to the "gold standard" F150

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Ah , the 'gold standard' in retail LD full size half ton pick ups continues to be the GM twins - like always.

And same for the total if you make fair allowance for the BK disruption.

Well, ok, the 'gold standard' in LD full size half ton diesel pick ups is .... Ram.

You do know that Marchionne's recent five year plan showed the F series or F 150 or something significant peaked in what, '92 ?

I think it might have been total vehicle share ........

The 'gold standard' in 3/4 ton on up continues to the F 250 / 350 Series although ..... Ram is pushing preeeety good in all segments as a new 'gold standard' often does.

F450 on up are different classes of products.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
Ah , the 'gold standard' in retail LD full size half ton pick ups continues to be the GM twins - like always.

And same for the total if you make fair allowance for the BK disruption.

Well, ok, the 'gold standard' in LD full size half ton diesel pick ups is .... Ram.

You do know that Marchionne's recent five year plan showed the F series or F 150 or something significant peaked in what, '92 ?

I think it might have been total vehicle share ........

The 'gold standard' in 3/4 ton on up continues to the F 250 / 350 Series although ..... Ram is pushing preeeety good in all segments as a new 'gold standard' often does.

F450 on up are different classes of products.
The GM trucks are the best driving 3/4 ton trucks out there. Even though they are not the top performer by output numbers, they are the best put together.

·
Registered
15,633 Posts
Going to be interesting that is for sure.

And likely in many, many ways.

Saw something about the 5.0 installation weight, and how much of it was a large part of the engine out emissions after treat.

The good news is the 5.0 is by itself fairly light .........

·
Registered
9,113 Posts
I begin to wonder if Nissan taked a note from Dodge and might try to sold the basic chassis of the Titan soldiering for 2 decades like the old 1972-93 D150/Ram 150 did by doing only a makeover? I guess Nissan decide to keep the big $$ for the development of futures Sentra-Altima, Infinitis for the moment. And let's not forget then the current van or panel truck NV400 use the current Titan chassis.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts