1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan fights model defects
Automaker sends 200 engineers to three factory sites
By Brett Clanton / The Detroit News

Nissan Motor Co. has sent about 200 engineers from Japan to the United States, in part to investigate quality problems with its full-size Titan pickup and other new models.

Nissan had planned to bring in engineers to monitor new vehicle launches this year, but the number has grown because of recent quality complaints, said Fred Standish, a Nissan spokesman.

“We’re going to fix what we find wrong,” he said. “Simple as that.”

The engineers will review operations at Nissan assembly plants in Canton, Miss., and Smyrna, Tenn., as well as a San Diego design center and an engineering center in Farmington Hills. They will also drop in on key parts suppliers, Standish said.

The news was first reported Monday by Automotive News, an industry trade publication.

Nissan bombed in the 2004 J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Survey, released in April, with the automaker’s new full-size Titan pickup, Quest minivan and Armada sport utility vehicle scoring last in their categories.

Survey respondents complained about faulty instrument panels, soft brakes and wind noise in the new models, all of which are built at Nissan’s new $1.5 billion Canton, Miss., plant.

Full Story HERE

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
the Titan is still a dang good shot at a true full-size import truck. it's going to gain ground, and the domestics better keep a sharp eye on them.

·
Super Moderator
4,253 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Jun 29 2004, 09:47 AM

The problems in Canton are understandable given the fact that Nissan is launching so many new vehicles so fast in a new plant and with an untested work force, said John Tews, a spokesman for J.D. Power.

Full Story HERE
Of course, is this were a domestic product, the quote would read "These defects are unacceptable, and and there's no excuse for them to appear in products at this price."

GM has released a boatload of new product in the last couple of years, too, and when there have been quality issues, the media didn't make excuses for them. How nice.

This is just another example of the media's import bias. What's even more surprising, is that the quote is attributed to a JD Power spokesman. You know it's gotten bad when even JD Power is jocking Nissan.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by PontiacJ8@Jun 29 2004, 02:47 PM
The problems in Canton are understandable given the fact that Nissan is launching so many new vehicles so fast in a new plant and with an untested work force, said John Tews, a spokesman for J.D. Power.
perhaps nissan shouldn't be introducing so many vehicles so quickly if this is the case! you guys are all right... it's so interesting to see the positive spin nissan gets here. hopefully this quality dip will register on the car-buying public, and will taint the new nissans for years to come!

5,934 Posts
hmm, "times they are a changin'"!

:woot2:

:chef:

:bounce:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Positive spin?

Dude Nissan has been getting A LOT of negative press about this quality control problem, and just because this article doesn't come out and bash Nissan doesn't mean its giving it a positive spin. Sure some people are unfairly critical of Domestic brands, but that doesn't mean that everyone is. I drive an 05 Altima and I have had 0 problems.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Yeah, hopefully people will see quality issues with these trucks as a reason not to buy.... ;)

I say hopefully because it didn't stop some people from Buying Ford's F-series....

My moms Expedition is in the shop AGAIN... :(

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
more i see the titan, the more i hate it. its sharped chiziled edges are unique at 1st, but get to be ugly after awhile. lack of more configurations, lack of a v6, lack of HD versions and now quality issues.. is all adding up to making nissan stumble at the fullsize truck market.

·
Registered
89 Posts
not a big fan of the titan.

the armada looks great..

and the infiniti QX56 is one of the brawniest, intimidating luxury SUVS on the market.. i definately see it stealing sales from navigator, escalade, hummer, etc.

·
Premium Member
23,621 Posts
Originally posted by mbb4nkk@Jun 29 2004, 04:21 PM
Positive spin?

Dude Nissan has been getting A LOT of negative press about this quality control problem, and just because this article doesn't come out and bash Nissan doesn't mean its giving it a positive spin. Sure some people are unfairly critical of Domestic brands, but that doesn't mean that everyone is. I drive an 05 Altima and I have had 0 problems.
well i'm just surprised that a JD power dude can say it's understandable and stop there... okay, it's understandable... but it's unacceptable, in a domestic OR foreign company. i'm the first to admit there are good and bad cars in all lineups... i just find the article a little generous towards the canton, miss. nissans.

·
Registered
8,854 Posts
Originally posted by mbb4nkk@Jun 29 2004, 04:21 PM
Positive spin?

Hmmm, this doesn't really seem to forward the argument that your car is high quality: an '05 with zero defects? This sort of sets the bar low, no? Let's see how it does in three years... Or are you just trying to let us know that you have a new vehicle? :D

I've had my '04 GM vehicle for about 12 months and with no problems; it's funny, I consider that fairly average these days, though maybe I'm a bit demanding.

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I do have a soft spot for Nissan though, INFINITI ONLY! lol As long as Infiniti's fine, I'm happy.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I think the quality problems at the Canton plant have more to do with management demanding cost-cutting. Cost-cutting leads to defects and recalls as every automaker is aware. I've read where the American engineers had to settle for parts that were cheaper and didn't fit as originally intended in order to satisfy the cost-cutting.

This is Nissan's first stab at the full-size truck market and with Carlos Ghosn at the helm, he'll straighten this out.

I have a '98 Maxima and I've had 0 problems with it.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by paul8488@Jun 29 2004, 11:06 AM

perhaps nissan shouldn't be introducing so many vehicles so quickly if this is the case! you guys are all right... it's so interesting to see the positive spin nissan gets here. hopefully this quality dip will register on the car-buying public, and will taint the new nissans for years to come!
[/quote]
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LOL!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Originally posted by mbb4nkk@Jun 29 2004, 11:21 AM
Positive spin?

And if you notice they are having problems with products they are not familiar with. They don't have full size pick-ups and they don't grasp Americas love affair with the truck- hell even the eighteen wheelers are small over there.

·
Registered
554 Posts
It seems everyone's Nissans are running fine....

Just thought I'd throw this in...

I have a 2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS with 112,000 miles on her.

Besides the NORMAL maintenence I've only had to replace the hazard light relay switch, and the driver side door relay switch.

Both repairs cost under $200.

My 1992 Maxima I had for about 3 months - before the water pump gave out and then the head gasket blew when it overheated. The whole passenger side power windows, doors and locks didn't work after a few weeks. I couldn't listen to the radio above a certain level because the factury amp blew and it caused a high pitch hum. My gas and battery gauge didn't work, which was very fun. (the only period in my life where I HAD to use the odometer "trip" meter not to check MPG put to make sure I had gas!!)

I bought it for $4,500 from a local mom & pops used car lot back in 2000. I'll say that because it wasn't a Nissan certified vehicle. It had only 55,000 miles on it.

Quality and reliability indeed.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts