GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan Says It May Trim Truck Output at U.S. Plants

July 22 (Bloomberg) -- Nissan Motor Co., Japan's third- largest automaker, is considering production cuts for some truck models built at plants in Tennessee and Mississippi if sales of midsize and large vehicles continue falling this month.

``We're always evaluating production levels and sales,'' Bill Krueger, Nissan's U.S. senior vice president for North American manufacturing, said in an interview in Nashville, Tennessee, today. ``One month of falling sales may be an anomaly. A third consecutive month is a shift.''

Sales of midsize sport-utility vehicles such as the Pathfinder and Xterra, built in the Smyrna, Tennessee, plant, have fallen 44 percent and 41 percent, respectively, this year, and larger models including the Armada SUV and Titan pickup produced in Canton, Mississippi, are down 46 percent and 48 percent through June.

Automakers have been hurt this year by a drop in demand for less fuel-efficient large models amid record gasoline prices and a sluggish economy. Bigger rival Honda Motor Co. yesterday said it will trim production of Pilot SUVs and Odyssey minivans by at least 10,000 units, and Toyota Motor Corp., Asia's largest carmaker, this month said it would temporarily halt production of Tundra pickups and Sequoia large SUVs.

``We're over capacity in trucks. We don't have enough capacity for cars,'' Carlos Ghosn, Nissan's chief executive officer, told reporters in Nashville today. ``If this market stays as it is, which is likely, you'll see more of our capacity shifted to cars and our manufacturing concentrated on fewer trucks.''

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=apgOvdFcMN9c

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I don't think Nissan is behind the curve on this. They were actually one of the first to cut back production of trucks. But in all honesty, they weren't selling like hotcakes even before gas hit $4.00 per gallon.

And HoosierROn, I can't speak for everyone who posted thus far. But me personally I have never taken a stab at the D3 making this same move (less trucks + more cars), and it being a bad thing.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, but know one buys them. I think the Frontier is a segment leader.
The Frontier is a nice truck, as is the XTerra (which I happen to own). Both of these are segment leading. The Titan and Armada are less so. At any rate, sales of all are way down, so I can see why they would cut production. I thought I read somewhere else that Nissan was going to shift all light truck production away from the MS plant and convert that plant into commercial production.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
The Titan and Armada are EXTREMELY competitive.

Titan's problem(s):
- no V6
- no manual
- no regular cab
- no long bed until 4.5 years after introduction
- no "little" V8 to bring prices around 4.6 V8 F-150's and 4.8 V8 Silvys
- no 250/2500 series "3/4" ton truck
- no 350/3500 series "1-ton" truck

Armada's problem:
- it ugly (to about 97% of the population)
- no low priced model with a little V8
.....that's it

Everyone's opinion is cool, but let's just say it only matters to me when you've driven one, and the competition.

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The Titan and Armada are EXTREMELY competitive.

Titan's problem(s):
- no V6
- no manual
- no regular cab
- no long bed until 4.5 years after introduction
- no "little" V8 to bring prices around 4.6 V8 F-150's and 4.8 V8 Silvys

Armada's problem:
- it ugly (to about 97% of the population)
- no low priced model with a little V8
.....that's it

Everyone's opinion is cool, but let's just say it only matters to me when you've driven one, and the competition.
Then why is Nissan abandoning the Titan and letting Dodge make the next version? According to most quality surveys, the products coming out of the MS plant have had many problems. Alas, the Titan nor the Armada have had segment leading sales numbers.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Then why is Nissan abandoning the Titan and letting Dodge make the next version? According to most quality surveys, the products coming out of the MS plant have had many problems. Alas, the Titan nor the Armada have had segment leading sales numbers.
WTF are talking about? I stated facts about how Nissan could have helped Titan and Armada sales, that's all. I don't know how that correlates to Dodge and Nissan working together. I DO know the next gen Titan is rumored to be a Dodge. But again, what does that have to do with what I listed?

And now sales make a "segment" leader? Because if so, that knocks the Frontier out of the running, as the Taco (Toyota Tacoma) wins. Based on "sales". In fact, the Taco, Ranger AND Colorado outsell the Frontier (which you claimed was the segment leader). :rolleyes:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
WTF are talking about? I stated facts about how Nissan could have helped Titan and Armada sales, that's all. I don't know how that correlates to Dodge and Nissan working together. I DO know the next gen Titan is rumored to be a Dodge. But again, what does that have to do with what I listed?

And now sales make a "segment" leader? Because if so, that knocks the Frontier out of the running, as the Taco (Toyota Tacoma) wins. Based on "sales". In fact, the Taco, Ranger AND Colorado outsell the Frontier (which you claimed was the segment leader). :rolleyes:
Sales are a contributing factor to leadership. The Armada fails on most factors of leadership. In what way is the Armada or Titan a leader?

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
Sales are a contributing factor to leadership. The Armada fails on most factors of leadership. In what way is the Armada or Titan a leader?
Well I won't lie, I feel silly with all this Nissan talk on a GM forum! :eek: But at least it's a Nissan thread.

OK, I never said Armada or Titan were thee leaders, I said they were extremely competitive. The Armada is a lot closer to its rivals than Titan is to its rivals because of the reasons mentioned a few posts back. The Armada can tow more than other full size SUVs.....except Toyota came with the all-new Sequoia this year and trumped Nissan. The Armada has the longest wheelbase of all fullsize SUVs (except the H2 which can only tow about 3/4's of what the Armada can). The Armada has more power than its engine rating leads on....it was the leader in acceleration tests until the '07 Escalades/Denalis (high price much?) and the '08 Sequoias (with the optional 5.7). The interior packaging was superior to everything in it's class.....though Expedition came close. The IRS allowed comfortable 3rd row seats that folded flat into the cargo floor when not in use. GM's answer was "removable seats". I am a strong dude, so I can do it, but I'd like to see my 113 lb wife get the 3rd row seats in and out (I'm in the military, so I am not always around). Dodge Durango has puny 3rd row seats whose bottom cushion requires a hearty tug from the rear door area, and only then can the seat backs be folded down. The 2008 Toyota Sequoia clearly copied the best....Nissan Armada, but they made it even roomier.

The Titan, once you compare it to a competitor with the same options as the limited choices than Nissan offers is competitive. Nissan's 5.6 V8 is stronger down low than the Hemi. The GM's 4.8, Ford's 4.6, Toyota's 4.7, and Dodge's 4.7 can't hold a candle to the power (real world). Ford's 5.4 comes real close on paper.....but one test drive would convince Henry Ford himself one of three things: 1) Ford is overstating their horsepower, 2) Nissan is underrating their horsepower, and/or 3) Ford is overrating and Nissan is underrating. GM's 5.3 can and should be commended for it pretty damn good fuel economy. I drove a 2008 Suburban for 2 weeks and got almost 17 mpg....and that was driving it hard. You can tell Chevy upped the power over previous 5.3's but the Titan would still beat a 5.3 Silverado. GM's 6.0 is a different beast....most of the 6.0 trucks will beat a comparably equipped Titan. But there are posts on Nissan forums where people win and lose races against . The brake problems in the past (warping rotors) have been corrected. The rear ends (many of which were under-filled at the factory) haven't been failing at near the rate of the 2004's. That's probably the chink in he Titan's armor, but it's not like every Titan has a rear end that goes out.

How do you like the strong frame in your Xterra? Pretty nice huh? Yep, Titan/Armada derived....you're welcome! :D Seriously though, do you remember when Ford had its propaganda videos: "The Truth About Trucks"? Did you notice that they conveniently left out the Titan's frame when doing all the frame comparisons and tests? Now why would they not jump on an opportunity to rip EVERY competitor (instead of just Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota)? Because I believe The Titan has/had the strongest 1/2 frame....at least until the 2007 Silverado came out. The Tundra's frame is a joke. I damn near got kicked off of ToyotaNation for expressing my views about the Tundra's frame. Along with a great GMT-900 frame, I also suspect the new Dodge (2009) and Ford (2009) frames will be strong. Ah, but once again currently, Titan is very competitive. :hyper:

·
Registered
4,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I won't lie, I feel silly with all this Nissan talk on a GM forum! :eek: But at least it's a Nissan thread.

OK, I never said Armada or Titan were thee leaders, I said they were extremely competitive. The Armada is a lot closer to its rivals than Titan is to its rivals because of the reasons mentioned a few posts back. The Armada can tow more than other full size SUVs.....except Toyota came with the all-new Sequoia this year and trumped Nissan. The Armada has the longest wheelbase of all fullsize SUVs (except the H2 which can only tow about 3/4's of what the Armada can). The Armada has more power than its engine rating leads on....it was the leader in acceleration tests until the '07 Escalades/Denalis (high price much?) and the '08 Sequoias (with the optional 5.7). The interior packaging was superior to everything in it's class.....though Expedition came close. The IRS allowed comfortable 3rd row seats that folded flat into the cargo floor when not in use. GM's answer was "removable seats". I am a strong dude, so I can do it, but I'd like to see my 113 lb wife get the 3rd row seats in and out (I'm in the military, so I am not always around). Dodge Durango has puny 3rd row seats whose bottom cushion requires a hearty tug from the rear door area, and only then can the seat backs be folded down. The 2008 Toyota Sequoia clearly copied the best....Nissan Armada, but they made it even roomier.

The Titan, once you compare it to a competitor with the same options as the limited choices than Nissan offers is competitive. Nissan's 5.6 V8 is stronger down low than the Hemi. The GM's 4.8, Ford's 4.6, Toyota's 4.7, and Dodge's 4.7 can't hold a candle to the power (real world). Ford's 5.4 comes real close on paper.....but one test drive would convince Henry Ford himself one of three things: 1) Ford is overstating their horsepower, 2) Nissan is underrating their horsepower, and/or 3) Ford is overrating and Nissan is underrating. GM's 5.3 can and should be commended for it pretty damn good fuel economy. I drove a 2008 Suburban for 2 weeks and got almost 17 mpg....and that was driving it hard. You can tell Chevy upped the power over previous 5.3's but the Titan would still beat a 5.3 Silverado. GM's 6.0 is a different beast....most of the 6.0 trucks will beat a comparably equipped Titan. But there are posts on Nissan forums where people win and lose races against . The brake problems in the past (warping rotors) have been corrected. The rear ends (many of which were under-filled at the factory) haven't been failing at near the rate of the 2004's. That's probably the chink in he Titan's armor, but it's not like every Titan has a rear end that goes out.

How do you like the strong frame in your Xterra? Pretty nice huh? Yep, Titan/Armada derived....you're welcome! :D Seriously though, do you remember when Ford had its propaganda videos: "The Truth About Trucks"? Did you notice that they conveniently left out the Titan's frame when doing all the frame comparisons and tests? Now why would they not jump on an opportunity to rip EVERY competitor (instead of just Dodge, Chevy, and Toyota)? Because I believe The Titan has/had the strongest 1/2 frame....at least until the 2007 Silverado came out. The Tundra's frame is a joke. I damn near got kicked off of ToyotaNation for expressing my views about the Tundra's frame. Along with a great GMT-900 frame, I also suspect the new Dodge (2009) and Ford (2009) frames will be strong. Ah, but once again currently, Titan is very competitive. :hyper:
I will agree that the Titan is competitive, but I would still buy a Ford or GM truck over the Titan.

·
Registered
4,660 Posts
I will agree that the Titan is competitive, but I would still buy a Ford or GM truck over the Titan.
That's cool....there's damn near 2 million people per year that not only agree with you, but prove it with their check books. I can make an argument for any 1/2 ton truck on sale right now. There really isn't a "bad" one in the segment. The Titan is always the whippin' boy when people talk "trucks" because the annual sales are minuscule compared to Ford and GM. Which reminds me of another thing Titan is lacking....3/4 ton and 1-ton versions.

I've been to "middle America"......what does every town have? A Chevrolet, and/or a Ford dealership. Nissan dealerships aren't easy to come by. If I lived in Decatur, Arkansas, I probably wouldn't buy a Titan either. There's hundreds of thousands of towns like Decatur too. :yup:

And Yes, I see you're in DC.....I am just thinking out loud. One of my funniest memories of my recently passed Grandmother-in-law was when drove to visit her (Decatur, Arkansas) in our Acura MDX. She said, "boy, that's a purdy car!........is that a Ford or a Chevy?!?". I told her it was a Honda! ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts