GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nissan announces phone with intelligent auto key

Tokyo, Japan - Nissan Motor Company, Sharp Corporation and NTT DOCOMO Inc. have announced that they have jointly developed the world’s first mobile phone capable of functioning as an intelligent key for automobiles. The device will incorporate Nissan’s Intelligent Key system, already a standard feature in various Nissan vehicles.

Nissan’s Intelligent Key system, installed in more than 950,000 Nissan units since 2002, employs two-way wireless communications technology to automatically lock or unlock the car doors, and start and stop the engine. Nissan and Sharp have integrated these electronic communications and electromagnetic technologies into the new handset.

The companies will demonstrate the phone at CEATEC Japan 2008, which begins September 30.The three firms will continue to develop the product with an aim for commercial distribution in early 2009.
http://www.canadiandriver.com/thenews/2008/09/24/nissan-announces-phone-with-intelligent-auto-key.htm

· Registered
4,660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I am not too sure what to make of it personally. One person asked me, "what if you lose your phone?" But I asked, "what if you lose your keys?" ;)

· Registered
5,425 Posts
James Bond drove a Bimmer using a Sony Ericsson about oh......10yrs ago (in Tomorrow Never Dies....was all faked, but looked nearly real!) ;)

· Registered
1,315 Posts
Yeah, I am not too sure what to make of it personally. One person asked me, "what if you lose your phone?" But I asked, "what if you lose your keys?" ;)
I'm far more likely to leave my phone somewhere accidently than to leave my key(s). After all, I put my keys in my pocket when I get up in the morning or when I exit my car, then only take them out again when I get back in or when I go to bed at night (even less often for a Smart key). I guarantee that the cell phone is out quite a bit more often than that.

· Registered
2,007 Posts
I'm far more likely to leave my phone somewhere accidently than to leave my key(s). After all, I put my keys in my pocket when I get up in the morning or when I exit my car, then only take them out again when I get back in or when I go to bed at night (even less often for a Smart key). I guarantee that the cell phone is out quite a bit more often than that.
Keys or phone, there's always that risk. Either way, GM and Delphi need to get this out by the 2010 model year. Even if initial availability is only in Buick and Cadillac. GM's remote start and Nissan's Intelligent Key both debuted in 2002. If Nissan can do this now, why not GM?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.