GM Inside News Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Nissan becomes first carmaker to apply UV absorbing glowing paint to a production car. The Leaf EV is the beneficiary.

Nissan is determined to help Leaf EV owners find their cars at night, by unveiling a model with spooky glow-in-the-dark paint. It's the first time the UV-absorbing paint finish has been applied by a manufacturer, although the firm hasn't confirmed it as an official option.

The paint finish, known as STARPATH, was created by inventor Hamish Scott and is a spray-applied coating that absorbs UV energy from the sun throughout the day. It is then able to glow distinctively for between eight and 10 hours during the night

Various UV car 'wraps' exist on the market, but this is the first time the outer paint layer has been given the treatment by an official carmaker. Scott uses a secret formula for the paint made of entirely organic materials, and a rare earth product called Strontium Aluminate. Nissan has stated that "if" the bold paint scheme was put on sale, the glow would last for 25 years.

Read more: http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/nissan...ark-with-luminous-paint-upgrade#ixzz3RWMqoGRt

Leaf should be easy to find at Walmart car park at night, but it might also stand out attract the mindless vandal.

Reactions: jetstar63

·
Super Moderator
2011 Chevrolet Camaro SS - 6M w/LS3
4,299 Posts
So, it's like watch lume for cars. The only thing earth-shattering here is that it's being applied to an automobile.

Still, it's a pretty novel idea.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Good idea for some. It would be great for night driving. Certainly no one can say they didn't see you coming at night. Looks like it really stands out at night from the pic.

For parking at night, I can still remember where I parked so no need for that yet........

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
When I was 16 and got my first car, I wanted to paint it with glow in the dark paint. My parents wouldn't let me. I'm going to show them this and tell them I could've been a pioneer! True Story.

Seriously though. Won't most police forces ticket owners of these cars, you can't drive around with neon/led/etc undercar lights because they are a distraction to other drivers....what's this thing going down the road gonna cause?!

·
Registered
5,362 Posts
When I was 16 and got my first car, I wanted to paint it with glow in the dark paint. My parents wouldn't let me. I'm going to show them this and tell them I could've been a pioneer! True Story.

Seriously though. Won't most police forces ticket owners of these cars, you can't drive around with neon/led/etc undercar lights because they are a distraction to other drivers....what's this thing going down the road gonna cause?!
Good luck on touching up scratches...or ANY body work.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I would prefer a little stealth at night. When the novelty wears off and every other car has luminescence, the fun factor will be gone.
In the future, I can imagine electronic paint with ticker tape type displays or ever-changing motifs and colors. The whole world is screaming for attention.....and nobody will care.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts